PDA

View Full Version : Trial Cottage

Rhandy
23-Nov-08, 04:36
Trial Cottage is mentioned in an 1846 Will of Col. William Innes and I was wondering if it is still standing. It only says Caithnesshire Trial Cottage. If I understand it correctly he is bequeathing it to his cousin Williamina Griggs nee Innes.
Any assistance gratefully appreciated
Thanks in advance

Rhandy:D

Murdina Bug
27-Nov-08, 17:39
Hi, I was wondering if you have any more detail on the area of Caithness the cottage was in? It occurred to me that it should maybe read 'Traill' instead of Trial? Traill was a family name of estate owners in the Castletown area (located about 5 miles east of Thurso if you looking at a map). I hope I am not throwing you off the track of your search but it could be a possibility.

Rhandy
27-Nov-08, 20:15
Hi Mundina,

yes I had thought of that when I read the Will, as he also bequeaths somethings to a friend, James Traill Esq, William Wilson ,writer and a few others. I am starting to conclude that it is Traill, though the writing is very clear and legible. That in itself is remarkable. It was dictated,not written by his own hand, as one before and after for other peolpe are all in the same writing.
Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Rhandy :D

Isabel Griggs
04-Dec-08, 11:17
Hi Rhandy,
I am interested in Williamina Griggs nee Innes...What was her husbands name and who were her parents? I am researching both Innes and Griggs.
Any information would be appreciated.
Isabel Griggs,
Australia.:)