PDA

View Full Version : Why do all our councillors love wasting public money?

Miro
22-Nov-08, 22:29
Never has so much money been wasted on travel expenses for our councillors to travel to and from Inverness to attend meetings of complete and utter irrelevance to them.

Correct me if I am misinformed but aren't our councillors in place to represent the people of their ward, that is Thurso, Caithness landward etc. Why then do they insist on attending any meeting that allows them a day trip to Inverness regardless of its relevance to the people they represent. A good example is planning meetings held in Inverness regarding projects in Sutherland or Easter Ross.

I think this is a complete waste of our money and this money would be best spent on other things in the local community. Do you agree?

Moira
22-Nov-08, 23:10
I'd be interested to know the facts and figures behind your question. The responses you received from the Councillors, when you posed the question to them, may also prove worthy of debate.

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 06:19
They do seem to go for Jaunts at the drop of a hat.
Whats more interesting is the fact that while they are doing this they arent helping the community that elected them!.
Wick High School springs to mind[evil]

Alice in Blunderland
23-Nov-08, 10:12
Thats a bit of a wide brush statement.............all..our councillors. :)

I will put my hands up and admit to have been in battle with councillors before this day but have to admit I wouldnt do their job for any amount of money.

One reason I would suspect for attending meetings elsewhere regarding Sutherland or Easter Ross is that they are there representing our County's interests.
All the areas are part of Highland Council so the money comes from one big council pot.........All part of being part of the new improved Highland Council Im afraid. :confused

I would however suggest a much wider use of teleconferencing as a means to being part of these meetings thus cutting down on the cost of running up and down the road and helping our carbon footprint. ;)

As for support for the High School I was at the Forum meeting the other night where there were local councillors most definately supporting the Wick High campaign they are but a few among the many who make the decisions on where the money goes.

Errogie
23-Nov-08, 11:15
Well of course if you're a member of one of the new political groups inside the Council you have to be there to support your gang if there is a vote to be taken on any issue.

Venture
23-Nov-08, 11:33
As for support for the High School I was at the Forum meeting the other night where there were local councillors most definately supporting the Wick High campaign they are but a few among the many who make the decisions on where the money goes.

I agree 100% with you there Alice. I think the "oldies" could learn a lot from our younger representatives, David Bremner in particular is a Councillor in the true sense of the word. He's not afraid to stand up and say what he thinks and puts Caithness first. The boy will go far in politics. We could do with more like him. ;)

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 11:39
I agree 100% with you there Alice. I think the "oldies" could learn a lot from our younger representatives, David Bremner in particular is a Councillor in the true sense of the word. He's not afraid to stand up and say what he thinks and puts Caithness first. The boy will go far in politics. We could do with more like him. ;)
I agree with you there Venture, Dont know the guy personally but he does seem to put Caithness before himself. If only more were like him instead of the Gravy Train councillors who "big up" everything HRC says and never disagrees with them[evil]

golach
23-Nov-08, 12:22
Hotrod, why don't you stand at the next election, I am sure many Orgers would vote for you. I canna as I live outside Caithness.
If you stood as an Independent and did not nail your flag to the main parties masts then I am sure you would get a few votes.

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 13:26
Hotrod, why don't you stand at the next election, I am sure many Orgers would vote for you. I canna as I live outside Caithness.
If you stood as an Independent and did not nail your flag to the main parties masts then I am sure you would get a few votes.
No way jose! Theres no way I would do that.1 I dont have the time and 2.I would need to get a personality transplant![lol]

joxville
23-Nov-08, 13:53
No way jose! Theres no way I would do that.1 I dont have the time and 2.I would need to get a personality transplant![lol]

Go on Hotrod, do your duty.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/513/needsyoutu0.jpg

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 14:38
Go on Hotrod, do your duty.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/513/needsyoutu0.jpg
I am too busy with world domination to even contemplate becoming a councillor.Once I take over a few planets I'll see if I can squeeze it in![lol]

badger
23-Nov-08, 19:31
Every time I see an ad. for gotomeeting teleconferencing I wonder why Highland Council can't do something like this. Has to be cheaper than all those car journeys and much greener. Surely if they're given papers in advance they know each other well enough by now not to need to all be in one room? It would save time as well as money.

joxville
23-Nov-08, 19:40
they know each other well enough by now not to need to all be in one room? It would save time as well as money.

All the wind generated in the room helps power a 6 megawatt wind turbine so in essence they are helping the environment. :D

emszxr
23-Nov-08, 21:06
if you got to spend £25 for lunch you would be jaunting down the road all the time too.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Nov-08, 21:56
if you got to spend £25 for lunch you would be jaunting down the road all the time too.

Is that just for lunch ?

emszxr
23-Nov-08, 22:03
Is that just for lunch ?

yes, plus if you were getting what they get for every mile they drive you would be driving to every meeting possible too.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Nov-08, 22:06
yes, plus if you were getting what they get for every mile they drive you would be driving to every meeting possible too.

How much is mileage then I know I can google it but if you know that would save me thanks

emszxr
23-Nov-08, 22:09
i know when the councillors got voted in last may it was just below 50p a mile, but with all the fuel increases that have happened i wouldnt be suprised if that amount has increased as well. if you find out what it is at current i would be very interested to know

newmonic
23-Nov-08, 23:36
All councillors are the same its not wot can i do for you but wot can i do for myself? How to boost my own pocket rather than any one elses!!

Alice in Blunderland
24-Nov-08, 00:18
All councillors are the same its not wot can i do for you but wot can i do for myself? How to boost my own pocket rather than any one elses!!

Another wide brush statement. I disagree with this. There are a few out there who are not only in it for the money.:)

If they are doing a job it is only fair that they should be suitably compensated so that they are not out of pocket.

Some councillors may play the system to suit themselves but its like everything else just because some are ,it doesnt mean they all are.

The meal allowances quoted earlier do seem to be very generous I would be some size if I ate my way through a lunch which cost me twenty five pounds but maybe they are economising by eating out and saving on having a meal when they get back home. ;) :lol:

badger
24-Nov-08, 14:12
All the wind generated in the room helps power a 6 megawatt wind turbine so in essence they are helping the environment. :D

Don't think even councillors can generate enough hot air to compensate for all that petrol/diesel. Why is it only us poor folk that have to be green - they tell us to share lifts, use the bus, drive slowly, buy eco cars etc. etc. Do they share lifts, use the bus :confused ?