PDA

View Full Version : Maradonna - lauded in Scotland...why exactly?

percy toboggan
22-Nov-08, 15:41
So, the Scots..or many of them at least had a hero in town last week.

Diego Maradonna..new team boss of Argentina. Sure he was a good player in his day, but never as good as some now claim...Cryuff, Best and Pele were all better over a longer period I'd guess from the top of my head.
That's subjective opinion of course and so is the rest of this....

...He was greeted with apparent rapture , largely because his illegal handball goal scoring manoeuvre knocked England out of the World Cup over twenty years ago.

I have to say I find this anti-English sentiment hard to stomach sometimes and pin it down to insecurity, mean mindedness or just plain lack of intelligence.

Until recently the vast majority of English people wished Scotland only well, and would cheer for them in any international sporting contest but sadly things may be changing..inspired by events like all this broo- ha-ha...handball shennanagins.

Terry Butcher's publicised refusal to shake the hand 'of God' merely stoked up the flames and he, who now works north of the border should grow up and realise time has moved on.

I do not give much of a fig for England's World Cup exploits...back then or now, but I do like to think we are a United Kingdom where a sense of fair play pertains. Sadly this sense seems to be lacking by those Scots who were welcoming the cheating ex-junkie to Hampden Park last week.

Of course, these people are a minority...yet a substantial one it seems.

I'll still be willing Scotland to qualify and will shout for them against anyone...perhaps even England...but it will irk me to know that I'l be sharing joy at a good result with possibly a million and more insular, niggardly McFolk who applaud anything which has a negative effect on my country....even cheating, rotund South American ex-drug addicts.

Need near neighbours be churlish by default...antagonistic one toward the other... I still find the one-way hostility from some hard to fathom. Can anyone explain it?
Perhaps it was all a big joke.

gleeber
22-Nov-08, 16:14
Your analysis of the situation is pretty good Percy. The Scots have a long time chip on their shoulders regarding the English.
Its a similar thing to your ranting on about immigrants. I know the sitations are different but both emotions come from that part of the human personality where demons and bogey men are born.
Get over it.

golach
22-Nov-08, 16:19
Percy, sadly, Football & Reason rarely appear in the same sentence on both sides of the Border.
I personally am neither religious or an avid football fan, so football does not bother me too much.
I will admit to being proud of the Country of my birth, and I take an interest in all Sports where Scotland is concerned.
Football is a game where both our countrymen take fierce pride in regardless of how good their teams are.
I would like to point out that we have the same thing with International Rugby Union, but on a much lesser scale, when we play our Celtic cousins the Welsh up here, the score does not matter a lot, of course each Nation wants to win, but regardless of the scores at Murrayfield between the Celts, we end up swapping beers and singing, and wishing the other side good fortune against the English.
Back to football, the English media have a lot to blame for the "Anti" feelings, Jimmy Hill was one in particular, who always took a delight in bad mouthing Scottish Football.
And if my memory serves me well Percy, it was the English FA that stopped the Home International games, and Maggie Thatcher had her hand in that also.
So Percy can you blame us having a little chortle and the discomfort created by Diego? We have had 1966 rammed down our throats on virtually a weekly basis.[lol]

MadPict
22-Nov-08, 16:47
Aye, but we showed them who had the better team back in 1982......

Where was Maragonna then? Anything he was doing was with the aid of Columbian Marching Powder...

Bad Manners
22-Nov-08, 17:15
Sorry Percy having just returned from England on a trip the number of time I used Scottish money it was queried as they always do. that wasnt odd the fact that so many of the counter staff did not know that Scotland was part of the UK Two thought that Scotland was part of Ireland another thought it was an island off Canada and another though it was in Iceland.
So I dont think the majority of people in England wish us well Given the short straw poll most dont even know where we are.

percy toboggan
22-Nov-08, 17:17
Well, the thread immediately assumes a lighter tone and that's fine by me.
The 'home internationals' though were often dogged by bad behaviour from fans - I remember when Scots invaded the Wembley pitch and I can see them now swinging on the crossbar of one of the goals...I think it snapped...fair doo's if snapping goal-posts is your thing.

I realise that anti-English feeling will manifest around sport and football in particular but feel it goes deeper than that.I'm not sure why.
Gleeber: I try not to 'rant' but I know where you are coming from. Perhaps I'm still an idealist at heart - surely all good men are..perhaps the Britain..the world I seek is just a figment of my tortured imagination.

Ah well...never mind...'X' Factor's on in a bit! :cool:
(and City are beatin' Arsene's Arsenal - fat lady awaited....be quick! )

scotsboy
22-Nov-08, 18:07
It's MARADONA Percy;)

Diego Armando Maradona is the greatest player I have ever witnessed. I disagree with all the nonsense surrounding last weeks friendly - but have no problem with welcoming Maradona back to the stadium where he scored his first International goal.

I was also fortunate enough to be present at the recent River Plate V Boca Juniors match to see Diego’s team win;)

percy toboggan
22-Nov-08, 18:23
Okay Scotsboy , I'm sorry for spellin' the little beggars name wrongly.
Fair play to your homage to the man...who has left his mark in the pantheon of great footballing talent.(much more than a handprint)

Bad Manners: I'm sorry you encountered such gross ignorance on your trip south.
I feel this must be a tiny minority but given that so many heads (I'd guess 30%) under the age of about 25 seem to be filled with little else but dreams of a few cans of cider, celebrity mags and jungle doings I'm not surprised.

We must rally as a rump - the enlightened rump- and see off these airheads....consigning them
almost to the very bottom of a societal heap...just above Liberal Democrats.

Vive 'la Scottish notes....even though the banks are boggered!

Amy-Winehouse
22-Nov-08, 18:23
So, the Scots..or many of them at least had a hero in town last week.

Diego Maradonna..new team boss of Argentina. Sure he was a good player in his day, but never as good as some now claim...Cryuff, Best and Pele were all better over a longer period I'd guess from the top of my head.
That's subjective opinion of course and so is the rest of this....

...He was greeted with apparent rapture , largely because his illegal handball goal scoring manoeuvre knocked England out of the World Cup over twenty years ago.

I have to say I find this anti-English sentiment hard to stomach sometimes and pin it down to insecurity, mean mindedness or just plain lack of intelligence.

Until recently the vast majority of English people wished Scotland only well, and would cheer for them in any international sporting contest but sadly things may be changing..inspired by events like all this broo- ha-ha...handball shennanagins.

Terry Butcher's publicised refusal to shake the hand 'of God' merely stoked up the flames and he, who now works north of the border should grow up and realise time has moved on.

I do not give much of a fig for England's World Cup exploits...back then or now, but I do like to think we are a United Kingdom where a sense of fair play pertains. Sadly this sense seems to be lacking by those Scots who were welcoming the cheating ex-junkie to Hampden Park last week.

Of course, these people are a minority...yet a substantial one it seems.

I'll still be willing Scotland to qualify and will shout for them against anyone...perhaps even England...but it will irk me to know that I'l be sharing joy at a good result with possibly a million and more insular, niggardly McFolk who applaud anything which has a negative effect on my country....even cheating, rotund South American ex-drug addicts.

Need near neighbours be churlish by default...antagonistic one toward the other... I still find the one-way hostility from some hard to fathom. Can anyone explain it?
Perhaps it was all a big joke.

Percy, wind yer neck in!!

Maradona scored the greatest goal of all time in the same match:D He was the greatest player of all time , for me better than Best , Cruyff , Pele, Zidane. He was brilliant - why cant you accept it & move on ???

England would never have won that world cup, there were far better teams in it than them- they had a chance in Germany but only a 1% chance.

I dont care much for the tranny army that follow Scotland but I am a Scotland fan & as a football fan I like to see my biggest rivals get horsed by whoever anytime they play, thats what football is about to me, its all good fun .

Terry Butcher is an embarrasment, he was a great defender but since he quit playing he is a joke figure, why is any where near Scotland no.2??? The sooner him & Burley exit the job the better.

percy toboggan
22-Nov-08, 18:32
Percy, wind yer neck in!!

Maradona scored the greatest goal of all time in the same match:D He was the greatest player of all time , for me better than Best , Cruyff , Pele, Zidane. He was brilliant - why cant you accept it & move on ???

Wind my neck in ? Accept it? Move on?:roll:

I couldn't care tuppence about the England football team or their past injustices/travails.

I was talking wider issues here really,but never mind.
Perhaps I didn't see enough of him...unlike Best who I saw quite often.
His chauffeur lived in our cul-de-sac...Best for me, really was the best.
Shame he liked a pint/short so much.....

...if football was the only thing that galvanised anti-English opinion in Scotland I'd be :lol: (laffin')...maybe I should.

Amy-Winehouse
22-Nov-08, 19:01
Wind my neck in ? Accept it? Move on?:roll:

I couldn't care tuppence about the England football team or their past injustices/travails.

Well forgive me but you were the O.P who asked why was Maradona lauded in Scotland, or were my eyes decieving me??
As I said, Diego was the best bar none, he more or less won the W.C for Argentina single handedly, whereas Best never got there

...if football was the only thing that galvanised anti-English opinion in Scotland I'd be :lol: (laffin')...maybe I should.

Im not anti English in general Percy, I just hope their football team get horsed. I have a lot of relatives in England so it would he ridiculous for me to hate all things English- theres good & bad wherever you go

TBH
22-Nov-08, 19:45
Scottish fans like Maradona because he was one of the worlds greatest football players and very few have even aproached that level of skill, Zidane perhaps was one of the few.
Butcher was the one going on about the hand of God incident, whatever the hell that had to do with Scotland V Argentina I wouldn't know but the SFA should have told Butcher to keep his trap shut, that would have been for the best.
The hand-ball was hilarious at the time for shutting those English commentators mouths, at least until the righteous indignation set in, but, if on the other hand, pardon the pun, it was an English player that had scored using his hand, then those same commentators would have been delighted and rightly so.

elamanya
22-Nov-08, 21:18
if it was a engelander who scored with his hand in the game would he be a sir by now ?????....

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 07:12
I think the reason he is loved north of the border is down to 2 things. It was his skill and of course "that" goal.
He was a legend on the park but a bit of a heid the ba off it!
In that game I wanted England to win as it was around the time of the Falklands and the media were whipping everyone into a frenzy about playing them.
England lost on the park that day,but so did Maradona who went down a bit in peoples estimations for Cheating. Best not to forget that he was also a "druggie" and very nearly died due to it.
But on the park he was a genius, not as good as Bert Konterman but good still the same![lol]

Amy-Winehouse
23-Nov-08, 10:07
But on the park he was a genius, not as good as Bert Konterman but good still the same![lol]

Im not sure you havnt been taking drugs either with a statement like that Hotrod4:eek:

Hamed Namouchi Loyalists .

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 13:35
Im not sure you havnt been taking drugs either with a statement like that Hotrod4:eek:

Hamed Namouchi Loyalists .
Bertie Bomscare was a legend or was that leg end?

Peter Van Vossen Over the bar loyal

joxville
23-Nov-08, 18:32
I've never liked Maradona but recognise his talent. I felt sorry for England because I'm a strong believer in fair play and they were robbed. On a similar note of being robbed, weren't Spain denied a goal against England a couple of World Cup tourney's ago? Therefore allowing England through to the semi-finals. Not a Hand-of-God incident, more like a Ref-needs-Specsavers incident. [lol]

wifie
23-Nov-08, 18:46
Have to agree here wi the folk who feel that if the "hand of god" incident had been perpetrated by an English player it would of course have been accidental and quite right that the goal was upheld. The only reason that a big thing was made of Maradona's visit was that a) Terry Butcher was not sporting enough to shake his hand and b) this is how the media is in this country! Mountains and molehills spring to mind! :roll: