PDA

View Full Version : Hmm?

Rheghead
25-Jan-06, 23:17
Could an omnipotent being create a rock so heavy that even it couldn't lift?

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jan-06, 23:39
If its omnipotent then its all powerfull so the heavier the weight the more powerfull it would become so that it would still be omnipotent????? never ending cycle ..Thought provoking a bit like the chicken and the egg????

wilma
25-Jan-06, 23:54
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Saveman
26-Jan-06, 00:20
I'm not sure an omnipotent being would be physical whereas a rock is.
An omnipotent being would have to materialise a physical body in order to lift the rock. So the omnipotent being could materialise a physical body strong enough to lift the heavest rock.....depending of course if there was room left in the physical universe for the rock to move in a upwards direction. In fact which way is up in this universe?
Dang, I've confused myself. :confused

crayola
26-Jan-06, 01:11
Would an omnipotent being bother asking such a daft question? ;)

badger
26-Jan-06, 11:48
I seem to recall something about an irresistible force and an immoveable object ?? It's the sort of thing, like infinity, that I just have to stop thinking about because it makes my brain feel tired.

Tymey
26-Jan-06, 11:50

Is Rheghead omnipotent? Congrats if you are.

Niall Fernie
26-Jan-06, 15:28
If the rock was big/heavy enough, the immense gravity would draw in everything around it and that would reverse the lift senario as you would be lifting everything else off the rock, so no one would be able to lift the rock from anything.

Saveman
26-Jan-06, 15:36
Well that settles that.

:p

mostlyharmless
26-Jan-06, 16:06
Surely that would be the beginning... an immensley dense object which for an omnipotent being would probably have to be something the size of a planet or more likely a star. The star of course would get denser and heavier as it attracted everything to it with its huge magnetic force, eventually imploding upon itself to create a black hole. So therefore is a black hole the finger of an omnipotent being or a strangely dark quirk of being overweight?
In fact is there a slimming world on an omnipotent level?

So as I began it is the beginning as does the black hole then create a whole new dimension of space and time and is therefore a means of creation by an omnipotent being.Certainly answers where all that weight goes with the world seemingly on a diet.

However in answer to the original question an omnipotent being would control the laws that created a rock and would simply demand it dispersed into large cream cakes that he could eat at his leisure.

squidge
26-Jan-06, 16:27
An omnipotent being would be far too busy and important to bother with big rocks!!!!

MJB
26-Jan-06, 17:32
If its omnipotent then its all powerfull so the heavier the weight the more powerfull it would become so that it would still be omnipotent????? never ending cycle ..Thought provoking a bit like the chicken and the egg????

For the chicken and the egg, I believe that the chicken came first due to Evolution.

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 17:34
If the rock was big/heavy enough, the immense gravity would draw in everything around it and that would reverse the lift senario as you would be lifting everything else off the rock, so no one would be able to lift the rock from anything.

Ah but, the omnipotent being could make all the string particles that make up matter to vibrate as if gravity no longer exists so it could push the rock along as if it was a helium filled balloon?

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 17:36
An omnipotent being would be far too busy and important to bother with big rocks!!!!

So an omnipotent being didn't bother to make the universe? That's heresy:roll:

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 17:37

Dunno why I did, I was just bored[lol]

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 17:39
I'm not sure an omnipotent being would be physical whereas a rock is.

I think you are putting limitations on the omnipotent being.:D

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 17:41
For the chicken and the egg, I believe that the chicken came first due to Evolution.

Yeah, but where did the chicken hatch from?

Saveman
26-Jan-06, 17:51
I think you are putting limitations on the omnipotent being.:D

I didn't say he couldn't become physical....:)

Moira
26-Jan-06, 18:38
I didn't say he couldn't become physical....:)

Ahhh .. so the omnipotent is a "he" - in which case I would disagree with Squidge and suggest he would be obsessed by "big rocks" :roll:

Alice in Blunderland
26-Jan-06, 19:31
Yeah, but where did the chicken hatch from?
The egg of course and so the debate continues,,,,lol :grin:

rich62_uk
26-Jan-06, 20:41

From my very basic understanding of philosophy, if the omnipotent being could not create a rock so heavy that it couldn't lift then the being would not be omnipotent.

On the other hand if the omnipotent being could create the rock that it then could not lift, then again it would prove itself not to be omnipotent.

So i guess the real question is could there be such a thing as an omnipotent being... The question here then expands as can you put boundaries on omnipotence the answer to which is probably NO.....

This question will make a change for me to think about while trying to get to sleep instead of the meaning of infinite in respect of the Universe...

DW
26-Jan-06, 21:04

Surely he/she would just invent a crane?:o

rich62_uk
26-Jan-06, 21:10
Both my brain cells have been rubbing together again..
If we bring time into this could an omnipotent being create a state where an omnipotent being had never and will never exist???

Rich.....

golach
26-Jan-06, 22:28
Och come on you lot, Everybody knows that 42 is the answer to Life,Universe & Everything according to Douglas Adams[disgust]

Rheghead
27-Jan-06, 00:02
So i guess the real question is could there be such a thing as an omnipotent being..

That is the correct answer, go to the top of the class!