PDA

View Full Version : apple tree

brandy
21-Nov-08, 10:14
hiya guys,
just wondering if any of you folks would have any ideas on this.
my apple tree snapped in half last night .. its only 2 years old so still quite small.. it was about 7-8 ft tall.. and only the one limb really.
will it survive and grow back or is that it dead now?
any advice?

laguna2
21-Nov-08, 10:20
Why don't you leave it and see what happens in spring? Worth a try perhaps?

brandy
21-Nov-08, 10:23
thats what im going to do. cant bear to bother with it right now *grrr*

laguna2
21-Nov-08, 10:25
I love trees and it really upsets me when one is damaged ... good luck with it!

laguna2
21-Nov-08, 10:27
Just had a thought - should you perhaps try to seal or protect the broken bit of the tree so that disease can't get in to the remaining bit... don't know how as I am not an expert gardener but I remember vaguely seeing something on TV about protecting pruned bits?

Hopefully someone on here will be able to advise.

nicnak
22-Nov-08, 01:29
hi brandy
tape the injured limb back in place with any kind of tape that will stick through the winter and just leave it hopefully it will graft itself back then for next year.
hope it works
dave

sweetpea
22-Nov-08, 01:31
I'd try to tape it up and save it too! Might surprise it's self!:eek:

Whitewater
22-Nov-08, 01:35
If it has gone into two bits you will have to take the upper part and replant it making sure you add pleanty of bone meal to the soil aroung the area you hope to root. It does not always work, but it's worth a try.

sweetpea
22-Nov-08, 01:38
If it has gone into two bits you will have to take the upper part and replant it making sure you add pleanty of bone meal to the soil aroung the area you hope to root. It does not always work, but it's worth a try.

Good Tip! x

northener
22-Nov-08, 01:56
Yup, slap it back together, Brandy. Grafting branches is common with apple trees, but I don't know much about it.

I'm sure if you put grafting apple trees into a search engine you'll get loads of response.

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-08, 03:59
If it's a grafted tree, the upper part of the plant would probably not survive without the rootstock.:confused