PDA

View Full Version : Halkirk Community Benefit Fund

david
20-Nov-08, 11:39
I see the residents of Halkirk are getting the church and the Ross Institute floodlite from money from the windmill fund. A fine way to spend the cash from the renewable energy source................not.

anneoctober
20-Nov-08, 11:42
I see the residents of Halkirk are getting the church and the Ross Institute floodlite from money from the windmill fund. A fine way to spend the cash from the renewable energy source................not.
laughable if not so serious an issue..............:~(

skinnydog
20-Nov-08, 12:07
Maybe the floodlights will be powered by the windmills! How unlikely is that?

david
20-Nov-08, 12:17
Maybe the floodlights will be powered by the windmills! How unlikely is that?

About as likely that the people who passed this will see sense.

badger
20-Nov-08, 17:07
And there was me thinking if we had less public lighting we might not need so many wind turbines - trust me to get it the wrong way round [disgust]

Scunner
20-Nov-08, 17:34
for once I have to agree with David. But its not all windmill money. Community funds are being used as well.

david
20-Nov-08, 19:16
for once I have to agree with David. But its not all windmill money. Community funds are being used as well.

Ah well, thats okay then............?

Stargazer
20-Nov-08, 21:47

So the 'windmill fund' have finally coughed up some cash?

david
20-Nov-08, 22:44
No coughing up required. Just think up some hair brained scheme which is likely to go against the "green renewable energy" produced, and bingo.-

Errogie
21-Nov-08, 10:22
Why don't they put their money into sheltered or affordable housing. If I lived in Halkirk I would be much happier to see my money going into something long term instead of more light pollution.

If you can't find your way across the road to the dance in the Ross Institute from the Ulbster Arms then you should get a taxi or a strong woman to take you home instead!

david
21-Nov-08, 10:37
Why don't they put their money into sheltered or affordable housing. If I lived in Halkirk I would be much happier to see my money going into something long term instead of more light pollution.

If you can't find your way across the road to the dance in the Ross Institute from the Ulbster Arms then you should get a taxi or a strong woman to take you home instead!#

Yes, but that would be making some sense then. Even if they gave some energy saving lightbulbs for essential lighting to the villagers, it would be more sensible than some of the schemes they have approved funding to date. Unfortunately it appears that Halkirk is controlled by a select few.

stewart4364
21-Nov-08, 11:06
If you think that it is run by a select few why, instead of moaning on and on and on and on,not join them and see what YOU can do. Instead of mouthing off the whole time get down of you high and mighty pedestal and hopefully let everyone see what or what you are not made of. If you are still not happy there is a long and winding road which, if the people of Halkirk are lucky enough, will take you to a far away better land. When are you leaving? I think the majority of Halkirk residents will gladly wave you off on the long and winding road.

david
21-Nov-08, 11:19
If you think that it is run by a select few why, instead of moaning on and on and on and on,not join them and see what YOU can do. Instead of mouthing off the whole time get down of you high and mighty pedestal and hopefully let everyone see what or what you are not made of. If you are still not happy there is a long and winding road which, if the people of Halkirk are lucky enough, will take you to a far away better land. When are you leaving? I think the majority of Halkirk residents will gladly wave you off on the long and winding road.

So sorry, I didn't realise I was "moaning on and on". What makes you think I am leaving? Nice to know the folks of Halkirk will give me a nice send off if I do leave though-now that's what I call community spirited.

anneoctober
21-Nov-08, 11:20
Without wishing to antagonise the situation, sometimes it does n't matter what one may suggest, there is already an elite who veto or approve certain things regardless of what sensible suggestions are made on most committees. This particular situation does seem to be at odds with the purpose of "green" energy. Since Halkirk have consented to the windfarm and its spin off money, there's still a responsibilty to use that cash wisely for the whole community.

badger
21-Nov-08, 12:55

There's alway someone who leaps at the chance to be abusive. Since most orgers on here seem to agree with David, since he was not moaning on and on but merely expressing an opinion, and since you can't just get elected to a CC any time you feel like it - aren't you being just a teeny bit unreasonable? Stay right where you are David.

david
21-Nov-08, 13:36
There's alway someone who leaps at the chance to be abusive. Since most orgers on here seem to agree with David, since he was not moaning on and on but merely expressing an opinion, and since you can't just get elected to a CC any time you feel like it - aren't you being just a teeny bit unreasonable? Stay right where you are David.

I was just thinking the same about some orgers who resort to being abusive. Kind of puts you off posting here-many thanks for your support Badger.

hotrod4
21-Nov-08, 13:46
While I agree there is no need to be abusive , I dont think that most orgers would agree with David. This topic has been done to death on here.He seems to be the only one who ever mentions the fund. Most are quite happy to accept that its for the good of the whole village, but some want it spent on what THEY want, and if its not whatthey want then lets have a moan about it.

I agree that if you are so wound up by it David why not speak to the committee ask to get involved with it rather than posting on here which will achieve nothing? That way you could do what you feel is right by the people of Halkirk and see then if they agree with you?

carlominno
21-Nov-08, 13:47
You don't need to be a member of the Community Council to take an active role in your local community!

Individual membership of Halkirk District Benefit Fund is open to everyone who lives within the District (as per the voting register) and organisations who are based within the are can register as Group Members so rather than 'moaning on' (and he did have another thread ages ago doing just that when the school and halkirk games got money) he could, if he hasn't already, join.

hotrod4
21-Nov-08, 13:49
You don't need to be a member of the Community Council to take an active role in your local community!

Individual membership of Halkirk District Benefit Fund is open to everyone who lives within the District (as per the voting register) and organisations who are based within the are can register as Group Members so rather than 'moaning on' (and he did have another thread ages ago doing just that when the school and halkirk games got money) he could, if he hasn't already, join.
Sounds reasonable to me!
What about it then David?

david
21-Nov-08, 13:52
While I agree there is no need to be abusive , I dont think that most orgers would agree with David. This topic has been done to death on here.He seems to be the only one who ever mentions the fund. Most are quite happy to accept that its for the good of the whole village, but some want it spent on what THEY want, and if its not whatthey want then lets have a moan about it.

I agree that if you are so wound up by it David why not speak to the committee ask to get involved with it rather than posting on here which will achieve nothing? That way you could do what you feel is right by the people of Halkirk and see then if they agree with you?

I have already emailed a member of this committee on 2 seperate occasions months ago and have yet to have a reply. My original post was not a moan. I am just questioning the way this money from renewable green energy is being used to fund a non green project-simple!

stewart4364
21-Nov-08, 15:15
Badger -- I take umbrage with your comments, not once was I abusive to David but only replying to his unhelpful and unjustified comments towards the Community Council. David had similar "moans" about a storage shed being built beside the riding school in Halkirk. I do not know where David is from but people should come together and support Community Councils in what they are trying to do. I know you will never please everyone the whole time or in some cases some of the time. Is the other solution to forget about Community Councils or other similar organisations and just let the villages and towns plod on and possibly in the end not achieving very much? No, I do not think that is the way forward -- let us support our Community Councils with all the backing they deserve and the public are able to give. I feel that the Community Council are doing a faitry good job for the greater benefit of Halkirk and the surrounding area. Keep up the good work. People should remember that the Community Council is voluntary and unpaid.

binbob
21-Nov-08, 15:36

very well put..i am with u.

david
21-Nov-08, 15:40
[quote=stewart4364;461335]Badger -- I take umbrage with your comments, not once was I abusive to David but only replying to his unhelpful and unjustified comments towards the Community Council. David had similar "moans" about a storage shed being built beside the riding school in Halkirk. I do not know where David is from but people should come together and support Community Councils in what they are trying to do. I know you will never please everyone the whole time or in some cases some of the time. Is the other solution to forget about Community Councils or other similar organisations and just let the villages and towns plod on and possibly in the end not achieving very much? No, I do not think that is the way forward -- let us support our Community Councils with all the backing they deserve and the public are able to give. I feel that the Community Council are doing a faitry good job for the greater benefit of Halkirk and the surrounding area. Keep up the good work. People should remember that the Community Council is voluntary and unpaid.

You must know I am from Halkirk by your previous suggestion that the Halkirk residents would be pleased to see me off. I for one take this as an abuse. If you believe lighting up these areas for the benefit of all is a good idea then so be it. A bit like turning down your central heating by a couple of degrees then turning every light on the house on. But then you know what a moan I can be. I certainely will not be bullied into silence.

david
21-Nov-08, 16:17

Achieve nothing? At least some folks now are aware of where their windmill money is going. But most are quite happy so that's fine.

david
21-Nov-08, 16:44

Am I to be driven from my native village (like a scene from Highlander) stones an rocks gashing my head just for having opinion. You must have one mighty pedestal to sit on when you are able to express the opinions of the whole village of Halkirk. Or is like me-just an opinion. Long and winding road? A9....?

hotrod4
21-Nov-08, 17:10
Why not have a poll then to gauge if the Village are in agreement with you on the subject? That way then you will know one way or another if you are a Lone crusader or the Peoples champion!!!:lol:

david
21-Nov-08, 17:30
Why not have a poll then to gauge if the Village are in agreement with you on the subject? That way then you will know one way or another if you are a Lone crusader or the Peoples champion!!!:lol:

Good reply, I think that should be done with all these schemes. Put it out to the communities to see whats best. At the moment it seems like major community decisions are being made by few. Not sure how to go about this. Perhaps other orgers may have an answer?

Buttercup
21-Nov-08, 18:21
Out of interest David, what would you like the money used for?

david
21-Nov-08, 19:11
Out of interest David, what would you like the money used for?

Anything that goes with the ethos of the thing. ie green schemes. It seems ethical to me to allow small green schemes to benefit on the back of such large ones.

hotrod4
21-Nov-08, 19:25
Anything that goes with the ethos of the thing. ie green schemes. It seems ethical to me to allow small green schemes to benefit on the back of such large ones.
CAn you give us an example of such a scheme ?

david
21-Nov-08, 19:44
Extra insulation for folks. Small scheme green renweables such as ground/air heat pumps-the list is endless.Heck, give every pensioner in the catchment area a free energy assessment and take things from there.

sweetpea
21-Nov-08, 23:03
Extra insulation for folks. Small scheme green renweables such as ground/air heat pumps-the list is endless.Heck, give every pensioner in the catchment area a free energy assessment and take things from there.

Now that's the first sensible post I've seen on this thread.

Scunner
21-Nov-08, 23:54
The over 70's can get free insulation anyway. Why not repair the riverside path, its was partly washed away over 2 years ago.

A question for Stewart4364 - what has the Community Council got to do with the lighting at the Ross, thought it was the village council.

Never mind David you might have some spin off from the lights, they may shine all the way to your house, if they put them high enough. As I said earlier in this thread, I think its a waste of public money,

sweetpea
22-Nov-08, 01:20
The over 70's can get free insulation anyway. Why not repair the riverside path, its was partly washed away over 2 years ago.

A question for Stewart4364 - what has the Community Council got to do with the lighting at the Ross, thought it was the village council.

Never mind David you might have some spin off from the lights, they may shine all the way to your house, if they put them high enough. As I said earlier in this thread, I think its a waste of public money,

Ok. I'm all for repairing paths so that we can all go somewhere!

Errogie
22-Nov-08, 10:16
Now we're begining to talk about Halkirk. Up to now this desireable startegically placed hamlet in the heart of Caithness's only claim to fame is that their men boiled the Bishop of Caithness in butter when he got a little heavy with his tax demands. And of course there is the more recent Country music festival.

Why doesn't Halkirk lead the way in Highland Green energy development starting of with a run of river hydro scheme utilising the fall between the quarry pool and Braal?

Why doesn't every dwelling house have long life light bulbs and optimum loft insulation?

Why doesn't every house have an energy efficiency survey utilising thermal imageing technology, then you can decide where to apply more specific treatments like cavity wall insulation and double glazing.

Why doesn't Halkirk have its own local biomass heating scheme utilising the same firewood from the flows that is destined for Wick. It's a much closer destination.

Presently there is more heat and energy being generated in cyber space than at ground level where it is needed. Come on Halkirk, rekindle the fires that burnt the Bishop!

Bobinovich
22-Nov-08, 11:12
Additional funding towards the proposed sports centre would seem like a reasonable investment too - for the community as a whole, as well as the wider Caithness population.

It maybe Halkirk & the surrounding area which bears the brunt of the windturbine presence, but plenty of other folk can see it, and many will drive past it on a regular basis, so the sports centre will benefit a significant number than just the locals.

Said centre could be ecologically sound too, what with mini turbines, solar, ground-source, etc. helping to keep running costs down.

Tilter
24-Nov-08, 17:10
I understand the windfarm fund is putting £150,000 into the sports centre. Does anyone know what facilities are going to be in the sports centre?