PDA

View Full Version : Tesco planning permission

saba
19-Nov-08, 21:11
I see from "Who's Building What" that Tesco have officially applied for planning permission at the Mart.

grumpy1
19-Nov-08, 23:23
hopefully we'll get a petrol station that way the petrol vouchers might actually be worth something..

Cathymac
20-Nov-08, 13:11
I think its great that tesco have told everyone what they plan to do and especially at the old mart, after returning to Caithness after years away what a sight the old mart is as a first impression to visitors to Thurso anything has to be more appealing than what it is now:D

Countryman
20-Nov-08, 17:17
They are making certain that there is no competion in Caithness, the Caithness Councilors who apposed ASDA have a lot to answer for. The mart should be used for affordable housing no another Tesco.

binbob
20-Nov-08, 19:35
i want asda...not more of tesco....

Billy Boy
20-Nov-08, 19:40

That's never going to happen, tesco have greased far to many hand's for that to happen [disgust] just like they do every where, just look at inverness.

Venture
20-Nov-08, 19:49
That's never going to happen, tesco have greased far to many hand's for that to happen [disgust] just like they do every where, just look at inverness.

Have to agree with you there Billy Boy. Definitely a case of share and share alike.;)

Mik.M.
20-Nov-08, 20:36
I see from "Who's Building What" that Tesco have officially applied for planning permission at the Mart.
There won`t be any problems with the application because the councillors seem to let Tesco do what they want. ( No dodgy dealing here).:lol:

emszxr
20-Nov-08, 20:39
There won`t be any problems with the application because the councillors seem to let Tesco do what they want. ( No dodgy dealing here).:lol:

totally agree. tesco have something over highland council
asda have been trying to get a store in the highlands for a number of years now with no success but tesco can get a store in anywhere easily.

joxville
21-Nov-08, 19:58
I find it despicable that some people question the morals and integrity of upstanding members of the council. Don't you ever stop and think about how much they do for you?

They have......erm......eh.....and then there's the.....well, just be glad they put themselves out for you. [lol]

Ash
21-Nov-08, 20:08
They are making certain that there is no competion in Caithness, the Caithness Councilors who apposed ASDA have a lot to answer for. The mart should be used for affordable housing no another Tesco.

like we need more houses!!!!

Fran
22-Nov-08, 04:28
Why another Tesco, we have one already in Caithness. It should have been Asda. And what about matalan and the other stores that wer coming to wick?

Ash
22-Nov-08, 09:16
Why another Tesco, we have one already in Caithness. It should have been Asda. And what about matalan and the other stores that wer coming to wick?

why not?
its better than nothing, tesco in wick is good for the people on wick or people who have cars, the one in thurso is crap and expensive! i for one am happy that tesco is coming would rather asda but its better than more houses

EDDIE
22-Nov-08, 09:22
why not?
its better than nothing, tesco in wick is good for the people on wick or people who have cars, the one in thurso is crap and expensive! i for one am happy that tesco is coming would rather asda but its better than more houses

Tescos in thurso might be expensive because it has no competition thats why its vital for likes of asda to get to build a store to create competition which is healthy

Ash
22-Nov-08, 09:49
Tescos in thurso might be expensive because it has no competition thats why its vital for likes of asda to get to build a store to create competition which is healthy

but i doubt we are going to get asda, so im happy with tesco...

Murdina Bug
22-Nov-08, 10:43
Asda could have purchased the mart site just like Tesco did but they spat the dummy because they didn't get their preferred site - therefore it is nobody's fault but Asda's own that they do not have a store in Thurso. Now can we please give the "boo, hoo the nasty councillers took away our Asda" moaning a rest?!

davie
22-Nov-08, 20:16
The nasty cooncillors took away our asda - boo hoo

Miro
22-Nov-08, 22:05
Firstly I would have to agree that the site of the former mart is an absolute disgrace and thus any development on it should happen quickly to regenerate that area. If you don't like Tesco then you can get all your shopping from local shops or very cheaply from Lidl.

Also people get bitter over the way in which their councillors act/vote on local decisions but come election time they either vote in the same incompetent Inverness-obsessed twits or don't vote at all. If you don't like the way the council is being run then do something about!

balto
22-Nov-08, 22:37
must agree with you there, if it is a choice between tesco and asda it has to be asda all the way

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 06:43
The nasty cooncillors took away our asda - boo hoo [lol]

The councillors have (probably)loads of money in their offshore accounts from helping Tesco's. They probably get free meals when they visit Inverness to vote on something, Why is it they can find the time to help Tesco but cant find the time to do something constructive about Wick High?:eek:

grumpy1
23-Nov-08, 10:45
I'd hate to be around if folk had something worthwhile to bitch about...
as we gathered tesco don't have too many fans around here, but hey a pound to a penny despite the winging and boo-hooing i bet a pound to penny most of you have all shopped there at one point and every time you do you establish there existence in the area....i for one dont mind tesco and would welcome them using the mart site, my question would be IF they do move to the mart what happens to the old site cause even tesco must realise that 2 in the same town wont work....

joxville
23-Nov-08, 12:00
I'd hate to be around if folk had something worthwhile to bitch about...
as we gathered tesco don't have too many fans around here, but hey a pound to a penny despite the winging and boo-hooing i bet a pound to penny most of you have all shopped there at one point and every time you do you establish there existence in the area....i for one dont mind tesco and would welcome them using the mart site, my question would be IF they do move to the mart what happens to the old site cause even tesco must realise that 2 in the same town wont work....

Maybe they'll sell the old one to Asda. [lol]

Actually, they won't. Tesco have been known to buy property, one in particular is two minutes walk from where I live, simply to stop other supermarkets opening up in competition.

grumpy1
24-Nov-08, 06:19
I heard on the thurso speculation grapevine that Travellodge was interested... but as i said speculation...

Southern Man
24-Nov-08, 08:09
Firstly Hello to all, a newbie here so be gentle lol. I know i am over 600 miles away just north of London( did live in caithness when very young, return for hols as often as i can and will return to live one day ) but this thread struck a chord with me. Tescos recently applied planning permission to put a hugh Tesco on the site of there exsisting small one in our county town. The traffic is bad allready and the plan was for a 5 story building with roof top parking...which would over look peoples houses and gardens. Anyway local residents got together to appose the plan www.hertfordresidents.com (http://www.hertfordresidents.com) and believe it or not the council listened to them and refused Tesco planning permission.. Tesco will of course appeal but it does show if you want you can make yourselves heard!

Bobinovich
24-Nov-08, 09:19
The problem now is that Tesco have the only bit of land viable for a supermarket (old mart site), so if a protest is made against them building there then we're either going to be left with a decaying site/sight or it's going to be used for some other (possibly less-useful) purpose.

If they do build then the old site at Millbank will be turned over to some non-supermarket company - there's no way they'd agree to allowing a competitor in.

So Asda is now a non-starter and we're stuck with Tesco, so will just have to make the most of it. At least it will bring lower fuel prices to Thurso (in the short term anyway) and, from a personal view, I'm interested to see what their proposals for traffic management at the new site are.

Lavenderblue2
24-Nov-08, 09:30
Yes, it's the traffic management that concerns me Bob - I can't imagine how they'll solve it.

Bobinovich
24-Nov-08, 10:06
I'm less concerned about the plans for entry to/exit from the new Tesco than I am for the Princes Street / Castlegreen Road / Lovers Lane / Ormlie Road / Train Station junction which is already often congested.

I've said it before elsewhere here, but surely there would have to be a wee roundabout to cope with it all? It would almost certainly require the removal of the wee parking area opposite the railway station, and also the removal of some of the excessively large corner at the bottom of Castlegreen Road, but it should make for a much smoother flow.

The school drop-off/pick-ups outside the new shop would probably have to stop though - maybe having to go to the school's bottom gate, and the shop itself (and flats above I believe?) would be inconvenienced.

Only time will tell :roll:...

Mik.M.
24-Nov-08, 23:16
Bob are you mad??? A Roundabout in Thurso!!!! Whatever next??????

kwbrown111
25-Nov-08, 00:18
Anyone heard the rumour they're closing the one in Wick when the thurso one is built due to lack of profit

grumpy1
25-Nov-08, 11:28
Anyone heard the rumour they're closing the one in Wick when the thurso one is built due to lack of profit

cladtraP.....why risk building another one if the existing one isnt doing too well... i reckon the mart site will look as it does this time nxt yr....they just want to look like they are doing something..

riggerboy
25-Nov-08, 11:47
cladtraP.....why risk building another one if the existing one isnt doing too well... i reckon the mart site will look as it does this time nxt yr....they just want to look like they are doing something..

your a sensible sort of person grumpy

laguna2
25-Nov-08, 12:50

:lol:someone must have great fun thinking up and spreading these rumours!:lol:

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 13:19
I heard that Tesco are to amalgamate with ASDA on the Thurso project under the new name "Tasdaco". As i said I have only heard it and cant prove/disprove it!;)

Metalattakk
25-Nov-08, 13:53
I heard that Tesco are to amalgamate with ASDA on the Thurso project under the new name "Tasdaco". As i said I have only heard it and cant prove/disprove it!;)

I heard this as well - and they're going to add a mast for DAB radio too. Well done Tasdaco!

TBH
25-Nov-08, 13:54
I heard this as well - and they're going to add a mast for DAB radio too. Well done Tasdaco!They are also going to collect the rain-water that runs down the DaB Mast.

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 14:00
They are also going to collect the rain-water that runs down the DaB Mast.
And use it to wash away everybodys sins!

TBH
25-Nov-08, 14:27
And use it to wash away everybodys sins!That would be quite a task I'd imagine.[lol]

riggerboy
25-Nov-08, 15:08
heard lidl and aldi is merging now called laldi

also heard they are building on the old mart site,

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 16:01
heard lidl and aldi is merging now called laldi

also heard they are building on the old mart site,
Good one!!![lol]
I also heard they are going to build another Lidl beside the one thats already their, supposedly they got their inspiration from an Oasis song.
From the album Heathen Chemistry track 6 (Think about it!!!):lol:

Tilter
25-Nov-08, 21:34
Since Highland Council has shares in Tesco we'll have Tescos and nothing else.

grumpy1
26-Nov-08, 00:20

I do try lol