PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrite levels in my tropical tank.

candyfloss
19-Nov-08, 12:56
I have just tested the water and have a high level of nitrite in my tank does anyone know if there's anything else i have to do apart from water changes.
I've lost a few fish in the last few days :(

justine
19-Nov-08, 13:11
Best thing you can do is go to pets at home and get yourself some Nitra_zorb.

Place it in your filter for a day or two and that should bring the nitrate down to a safe level. The good thing with nitra-zorb it can be recharged by sitting it in salt and can then be reused.its the quickest and safest way to remove the nitrate.

You can also add easy balance and tap safe into a 30% water change to help stablalize the nitrate. Aquarium salt is also good but not knowing what type of fish you have i cant advise that.
What type of fish do you have, cold, tropical, do you have an external filter or internal and how often do you change the water. Information like this is needed if you want to sort this out otherwise you will lose all the rest of the fish stock you have left.

Can you tell me what size your tank is and how many fish you have, i may be able to help with why its gone up so sharply and help you with this.You can pm if you would prefer.I have a 180l tank myself and also a 70l cichlid species tank and may be able to offer some help.

or go to this link and you can
find as much help you need with your fishy problems. This is a forum i also use for info and the guys and gals on there are always on and ready to help

http://www.fishkeepingforum.co.uk/forum/forum.asp

candyfloss
19-Nov-08, 14:11
Thanks Justine,
i have a 60l tank with an internal filter, i've got about 15 fish, guppies,neons,dwarf gouramis, but nothing bigger. And i usually do a 30% water change ever week. I'll take a look up to Pets at home later. Thanks again

justine
19-Nov-08, 14:17
too much fish watse and too many water changes could be the problem.Every time you change the water you are re-adjusting the levels and the tank is not having time to cycle itself. I would do what i have said and then maybe go for an external filter or do less changes and kepp using nitra-zorb monthly. I would also advise you get a bottom feeder like a bristle nose or kuhli loaches to help reduse the waste or you will be banging your head aginst the wall.

northangel30
27-Nov-08, 17:51
Don't do as much water change, only do 10% a week. Make sure you have a least 1 live plant in it as this helps obsorb nitrates. Go to pets at home once a week to got water checked as they do it for free and give good advice.

Frith
28-Nov-08, 13:15
while trying to get this under control, keep fish numbers low. Feed litte and often, so less waste food. feed enough so that is all gone within a few seconds, 3 - 4 times a day. Ensure that you are not over doing it when you clean the filter out. Just rinse the sponge in cold water, not hot. Thats where the bactria are which are going to convert your nitrites to nitrates.:(

hotrod4
28-Nov-08, 13:58
while trying to get this under control, keep fish numbers low. Feed litte and often, so less waste food. feed enough so that is all gone within a few seconds, 3 - 4 times a day. Ensure that you are not over doing it when you clean the filter out. Just rinse the sponge in cold water, not hot. Thats where the bactria are which are going to convert your nitrites to nitrates.:(
Good advice!

rhino
28-Nov-08, 14:03

Good advice but make sure you rinse the sponge in the system water and not from the tap or else all the good bacteria will die off.

justine
28-Nov-08, 15:04
Good advice but make sure you rinse the sponge in the system water and not from the tap or else all the good bacteria will die off.

best thing is to take some of the tank water out and wash the filters through that, like you say you want to keep the bacteria in the filter not wash it away.

Frith
28-Nov-08, 23:48
yeah good thinking, rinsing sponge in the tank water you have taken out is a good idea, keep as much of the freindly bacteria as possible.