PDA

View Full Version : The new Gaelic Television Channel

Errogie
17-Nov-08, 23:21
So how many of you have been limbering up for the Mod by watching programmes on the new Gaelic t.v. channel? Great background and interest about the wider Highlands beyond the Ord and the split stone.

It might even provide some inspiration to learn the language and get a wider insight into the culture and history of the Highlands and of course allow you to welcome the visitors to Caithness in their language.

gleeber
17-Nov-08, 23:30
So how many of you have been limbering up for the Mod by watching programmes on the new Gaelic t.v. channel? Great background and interest about the wider Highlands beyond the Ord and the split stone.

It might even provide some inspiration to learn the language and get a wider insight into the culture and history of the Highlands and of course allow you to welcome the visitors to Caithness in their language.

No me anyway. I think it's a racket.
That being said i saw an interesting Gaelic programme a number of years back about the clearances in the Strath of Kildonan. Thanfully it had my own language in subtitles.
Theres certainly a wave of Gaelic euphoria tickling the Gaels just now, but I'm not so sure we should be spending so much money on it. It should be treated like a charity. The lifeboat et al have to raise their own public funding. I think Gaelic should do the same.

EDDIE
17-Nov-08, 23:38

I think going to the extent of learning another language just to use in a small area is waste of time and not practical the only good thing about having a channel dedicated to gaelic is that we no longer need to tolerate it on the normal channel

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Nov-08, 18:49
Alba is a great channel. Mary-Ann's programme about The Garage is fantastic.

scotsboy
18-Nov-08, 18:51

Thankfully I don't get it, and if I did I wouldn't watch it. I agree with the Gleeber.

Errogie
18-Nov-08, 18:54
When my uncle lived in Edinburgh he was often waylaid by foreign visitors seeking information so he took great pleasure in learning the basics of how to give directions in five different languages.

There are quite a few things which appear on television which are not to my taste, and for which I have absolutely no cultural empathy but I don't have a problem with viewing schedules accomodating them. Try the new channel lots of the programmes are subtitled and if you grew up with Caithness dialect you may be surprised how many words are familiar. That's because of the historic cross over between northern, Norse and Gaelic cultures in the comparatively recent past. I certainly met local gaelic in Reay in the 50's.

hotrod4
18-Nov-08, 18:54
Personally I dont get the whole gael thing but I suppose it is a "scottish" thing and should have some support but not to the extremes of spending so much of Licence payers money on it. Maybe if they got some private money raised before the BBC jumped in and decided to splash the cash then people may have been a bit more sympathetic.

Why didnt Macdonalds Burgers sponsor the channel?

Ronald Macdonald is Loaded!!![lol]

scotsboy
18-Nov-08, 19:02
Personally I dont get the whole gael thing but I suppose it is a "scottish" thing and should have some support but not to the extremes of spending so much of Licence payers money on it. Maybe if they got some private money raised before the BBC jumped in and decided to splash the cash then people may have been a bit more sympathetic.

Why didnt Macdonalds Burgers sponsor the channel?

Ronald Macdonald is Loaded!!![lol]

Oh I get the "whole gael thing", and actually think it needs support - I don't get the Evangelical gael thing which is trying to spread the language to areas where it has no significant tradition.

sweetpea
19-Nov-08, 00:40
I love languages of all kinds but Gaelic is not the easiest to pick up me thinks:mad:

Aaldtimer
19-Nov-08, 03:56
I love languages of all kinds but Gaelic is not the easiest to pick up me thinks:mad:

Apparently, once you can master the feat of wrapping your tongue round you tonsils...it's a dawdle! [lol]

Torvaig
19-Nov-08, 09:31

Sweetpea, the fact that you love languages is a good start and if you are interested try one of the starter Gaelic books and you will see what I mean....

I know Gaelic sounds formidable but once you study the construction of the words and get to know how the connotations are pronounced it becomes much easier. Just think of the "silly" spellings we have in our everyday language (e.g. though, enough, Slough with the endings all pronounced differently but spelt the same) and you begin to open your mind to other languages which have their own spelling patterns.

Gaelic has words derived from other European languages, e.g. Latin, just the same as English (or maybe they are all derived from the gaelic ;)) and it becomes easier to recognise the picture they conjure up...

Tom Cornwall
19-Nov-08, 20:33
I go there to watch the country music on Tuesday, repeated on Sunday. Ceol Country, I think that may mean Cool Country, (or maybe not):)

Errogie
19-Nov-08, 21:34
Ceol Country is just Country Music. Pronounciation can be challenging and often its better to hear a word before you see it written.

Here's another reason why I enjoy Gaelic, one word for butterfly is dealan-de (picture of God)!

horseman
20-Nov-08, 00:09
Now that I like-good reason to look further,just have to reel out the time for it:)