PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Parking Sensors

Miro
17-Nov-08, 23:08
I believe that you can get reverse parking sensors fitted to most cars these days - does anyone know whether these are reliable and if they can be fitted in Caithness?

joxville
17-Nov-08, 23:18
I don't know where in Caithness you'll get them retro fitted but I had it done to a car I used to own and they worked fine. You can also get them fitted to the front of cars if you're reversing forwards. [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
17-Nov-08, 23:51
reversing forwards.

I know its late and Im feeling tired but..............I just cant visualise this one........ :confused reversing forwards so what way are you going........ :eek: .........backwards or forwards.??? :lol:

DeHaviLand
17-Nov-08, 23:53
Makes just as much sense as "reversing backwards".

floyed
17-Nov-08, 23:56
if you're reversing forwards.

never heard of that one before:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
17-Nov-08, 23:57
Makes just as much sense as "reversing backwards".

Ohhh Im a female I canna reverse anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!

< ducks and waits for the backlash to that statement > :lol: :lol: < Joking only joking >

TBH
17-Nov-08, 23:59
If you cannot park successfully without an artificial aid then you shouldn't have been allowed to pass your driving test.

liz19
18-Nov-08, 00:00
To answer ur question yes these do work and are pretty reliable and accurate as long as they are fitted correctly - and yes my partner fits them and he's in caithness if u want him to get in touch with u with more info and poss fitting them for u pm me with ur details :D

DeHaviLand
18-Nov-08, 00:01
If you cannot park successfully without an artificial aid then you shouldn't have been allowed to pass your driving test.

But surely a car is an artificial aid?

joxville
18-Nov-08, 00:02

I had them fitted cos of the large boot. It would have been easy if it was a trainer. [lol]

TBH
18-Nov-08, 00:09
But surely a car is an artificial aid?Maybe so but does it need another?

TBH
18-Nov-08, 00:11
I had them fitted cos of the large boot. It would have been easy if it was a trainer. [lol]That's a nasty thing to say. If she knew she would be very hurt by that statement.

wifie
18-Nov-08, 00:12
Ohhh Im a female I canna reverse anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!

< ducks and waits for the backlash to that statement > :lol: :lol: < Joking only joking >

Blimey what an admission! Canna believe you said that! They usually dinna need more amunition! :roll:

joxville
18-Nov-08, 00:13
Maybe so but does it need another?

How about a magnifying windscreen, so everything appears larger? But your face will be massive to other people, so no good if you're ugly. Thankfully I'm darned handsome. :D

wifie
18-Nov-08, 00:14
I had them fitted cos of the large boot. It would have been easy if it was a trainer. [lol]
Do you not park yer trainers in the hall like everyone else and how beeg exactly are yer boots? :eek:

TBH
18-Nov-08, 00:17
How about a magnifying windscreen, so everything appears larger? But your face will be massive to other people, so no good if you're ugly. Thankfully I'm darned handsome. :DThat would be brilliant Jox, maybe then, all those anal retentives that think they should hug your bumper as a matter of course would then keep their distance.

joxville
18-Nov-08, 00:18
Do you not park yer trainers in the hall like everyone else and how beeg exactly are yer boots? :eek:

Beeg enuf til kick yer backside. [lol]

TBH
18-Nov-08, 00:25
Beeg enuf til kick yer backside. [lol]Ye'd need a bigger trainer till kick her backside, sure Wifie.[lol]

joxville
18-Nov-08, 00:30
That would be brilliant Jox, maybe then, all those anal retentives that think they should hug your bumper as a matter of course would then keep their distance.

Especially those numpties that drive Mercedes Sprinter vans.

wifie
18-Nov-08, 00:33
How about a magnifying windscreen, so everything appears larger? But your face will be massive to other people, so no good if you're ugly. Thankfully I'm darned handsome. :D
Yer darned? Sock face! [lol]

Ye'd need a bigger trainer till kick her backside, sure Wifie.[lol]
Does my backside look big in my car TBH?

TBH
18-Nov-08, 00:45
Yer darned? Sock face! [lol]

Does my backside look big in my car TBH?It does through Joxvilles' magnifying windscreens.

wifie
18-Nov-08, 00:56
It does through Joxvilles' magnifying windscreens.
I never bought one! [evil] (Christmas card list:- TBH)

TBH
18-Nov-08, 01:04
I never bought one! [evil] (Christmas card list:- TBH)
Comeon Wifie, Jennifer Lopez has never complained about having a stand out rear end? It is considered sexy in some cultures.

joxville
18-Nov-08, 01:08
Comeon Wifie, Jennifer Lopez has never complained about having a stand out rear end? It is considered sexy in some cultures.

Yes that's right. There really isn't much difference between the millionairess Jennifer Lopez and poor Wifie. [lol]

wifie
18-Nov-08, 01:09
Och well as long as you dinna stick parkin sensors on me bum TBH I suppose I should be happy! :confused

Whitewater
18-Nov-08, 01:16
I don't know where in Caithness you'll get them retro fitted but I had it done to a car I used to own and they worked fine. You can also get them fitted to the front of cars if you're reversing forwards.

AhHa joxville, I have never tried to reverse forwards but it could be interesting. But joking aside they are excellent to have fitted to both the front and back of cars. Some manufacturers have now developed them further and made cars that park themselves. Seen the Volkswagon that parks itself in an ad on the telly?

It was something that I had considered fitting on a previous car but decided agaist it. Of course I realised my folly when I reversed into a lamp post when the car was just 3wks old.

joxville
18-Nov-08, 01:22
My Jaguar XJ8 had them front and rear, they were very handy in tight car parks, especially the Eastgate Centre in Inverness. Sensors on the front are being developed further to prevent you getting too close to the car in front, although it will be a few years yet before they are a standard fit on all cars.

TBH
18-Nov-08, 01:29
My Jaguar XJ8 had them front and rear, they were very handy in tight car parks, especially the Eastgate Centre in Inverness. Sensors on the front are being developed further to prevent you getting too close to the car in front, although it will be a few years yet before they are a standard fit on all cars.Learn to drive my son, learn to drive.:D

wifie
18-Nov-08, 01:30
Learn to drive my son, learn to drive.:D
I was thinkin much the same - heck if you canna see what is directly infront of you there is no hope! :eek:

joxville
18-Nov-08, 01:35
Xmas card list- wifie TBH

Kevin Milkins
18-Nov-08, 01:37

If you can't walk without a stick when you get older you should be put down.;)

joxville
18-Nov-08, 01:41

Do you want to borrow a flak jacket and helmet? [lol]

Kevin Milkins
18-Nov-08, 01:42
Do you want to borrow a flak jacket and helmet? [lol]

That might be good.hehe

Munro
18-Nov-08, 10:54
I had a tour of the Mclaren Technology Centre a couple of weeks back and sat in the SLR convertible the vision forwards and reverse is awful, the car costs £300 thousand and no sensors back or front, I told them I would'nt order one till they were standard fit!, they didnt seem concerned so I will stick with my Octavia.

northener
18-Nov-08, 13:35

I agree, death to the duffers!

Until then may I suggest fitting sensors to their walking sticks that will tell them when it's safe to cross Bridge St.....'cause they sure as hell can't suss it out for themselves.

Sapphire2803
18-Nov-08, 13:41

A lot of modern cars just don't allow you to reverse safely. I don't know why they bother putting a rear window in some of them at all when all you can see out of it is a narrow strip of sky. :roll:

2little2late
18-Nov-08, 16:27
I have a reverse parking sensor. It is called a wall. [lol] [lol]

TBH
18-Nov-08, 16:38
A lot of modern cars just don't allow you to reverse safely. I don't know why they bother putting a rear window in some of them at all when all you can see out of it is a narrow strip of sky. :roll:
Let's have a campaign for bigger rear windows and bigger footballs for visually impaired footballers.

Tugmistress
18-Nov-08, 16:43

so what's wrong with using wing mirrors like vans, trucks and other vehicles on the road that have no rear window?

2little2late
18-Nov-08, 17:15

You're not using the mirrors for vanity instead are you? [lol] [lol]

Lucy
18-Nov-08, 17:44
I have had rear parking sensors on the last 2 cars i have had and find them very useful especially in car parks. Last year in Sommerfields car park i had to reverse out of my space when the sensors kept going off. i stopped put the car in neutral, checked the rear view mirror and tried again a couple of times but the sensors kept going off. i then noticed in the rear mirror a mum grabbing a child from the back of my car. the child was too small to see out of the window and if it wasn't for the sensors then i may have seriously injured a child. Yes the mum should have been looking after her child better, but at least the sensors prevented a bad accident I made sure my new car had the sensors before i bought it, wouldn't do without them now.

J & G Sutherland
20-Nov-08, 09:43
back to the original matter for a minute:

I believe that you can get reverse parking sensors fitted to most cars these days - does anyone know whether these are reliable and if they can be fitted in Caithness?

PM sent today, Tuesday 18/11/08

Parking sensors (back & front or back only), for any vehicle, supplied & fitted at J & G Sutherland, Halkirk.

Sapphire2803
20-Nov-08, 10:20
so what's wrong with using wing mirrors like vans, trucks and other vehicles on the road that have no rear window?

That's the other problem. Wing mirrors which are so small that while they look oh so very nice, they're next to useless.
Not all cars mind you, some are great, most are fine, but there are some out there which only ever seem to have been designed to be driven forwards.

Sapphire2803
20-Nov-08, 10:25
Let's have a campaign for bigger rear windows and bigger footballs for visually impaired footballers.

*Throws an over-sized football at TBH*

You're not using the mirrors for vanity instead are you? [lol]

Now that's just silly, everybody knows you can't use the wing mirrors to apply lipstick!
That's what the rear view mirror is for ;)

Seriously though, I've never had parking sensors. I don't think I could put my faith in them. I'm one of the old fashioned - Open the door and hang out if ya can't see brigade - just like my Father taught me. :lol: