PDA

View Full Version : do you know where it came from

router
17-Nov-08, 21:32
oh and and myself have a liking for bagels.toasted with philly,and or crispy bacon.we wondered this evening where they originated and had a look at what wiki says
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel

what's your favourite and where did it come from.

joxville
17-Nov-08, 21:35
Mine come from Sainsbury's. [lol]

Julia
17-Nov-08, 21:37
My favourite come from Tesco, they are in the bread aisle.

floyed
17-Nov-08, 21:55
Toasties they are great especially with all the fillings everyone gave me in the receipe section.

I just checked Wikipedia and it says - In 1974, the Australian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian) company Breville (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breville) released the "Snack 'n' Sandwich toaster", which sold 400,000 units within a year of release.

very interesting!

Kodiak
17-Nov-08, 22:04
History of the Bagel http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/bagels/bagels.htm

Legend has it that in 1683 in Vienna, Austria, a local Jewish baker wanted to thank the king of Poland for protecting his countrymen from Turkish invaders. He made a special hard roll in the shape of a riding stirrup-Bugel in German - commemorating the king's favorite pastime and giving the bagel its distinct shape.

As bagels gained popularity in Poland, they were officially sanctioned as gifts for women in childbirth and mentioned in community registers. Mothers used them as nutritious teething rings that their infants could easily grasp - a practice still popular today.
Bagels eventually made their way to Russia, where they were called bubliki and were sold on strings. Like other ring-shaped objects, they were said to bring good luck and possess magical powers. It is even said that songs were sung about bagels!

When the Eastern European Jewish immigrants arrived in North America at the turn of the century, they brought the bagel with them. Many settled in Canada, giving cities like Toronto and Montreal their reputation for having superb bagels. The American bagel industry established formal roots in New York between 1910 and 1915 with the formation of Bagel Bakers Local #338. This exclusive group of 300 craftsmen with "bagels in their blood" limited its members to sons of its members. At the time, it was probably easier to get into medical school than to get an apprenticeship in one of the 36 union bagel shops in New York City and New Jersey.

Professional bagel baking required know-how and backbreaking labor. Bagel makers' sons apprenticed for months to learn the trade. Men were paid by the piece and usually worked in teams of four. Two made the bagels, one baked, and a "kettleman" was in charge of boiling the bagels. The men earned 19 cents a box, and each box typically contained 64 bagels. It was not unusual for a team to make a hundred boxes a night.

With the rising of the yeast in countless bakeries, the popularity of the bagel rose far beyond the boundaries of ethnic neighborhoods. In the late 1950's and 1960's, bakers from New York and New Jersey began moving to other parts of the country. One such veteran who opened a bagel bakery in a suburb of Washington, D.C., in 1966, remembers his skeptical landlord nervously questioning, "Who's gonna spend seven cents for one of those things?"

Prepackaged bagels first became available in grocery stores in the 1950's. With the introduction of frozen bagels in the 1960's, consumers had access to bagels even if they didn't live near a bagel bakery.

joxville
17-Nov-08, 22:15
All it is is a roll with a hole-didn't take Einstein to come up with that idea.

So this must have been the best thing before sliced bread-an unanswerable question has now been answered. [lol]

domino
17-Nov-08, 23:07
Doughnuts gone wrong!!

joxville
17-Nov-08, 23:16
Doughnuts gone wrong!!

It's a dough ring. I've always called them by that name, years before I worked in a bakery. Americans call them doughnuts, or colloquially donuts. Those lard-asses always have to change their given language. Like Toys 'R us, with the 'R' reversed.

Julia
17-Nov-08, 23:30
A 3 week old doughring has a similar texture to a bagel, real chewy! [lol]

Bobinovich
18-Nov-08, 00:23
My thoughts too Julia - can't think of any redeeming feature of a bagle. Give me a nice fresh roll anyday!

joxville
18-Nov-08, 00:28
My thoughts too Julia - can't think of any redeeming feature of a bagle. Give me a nice fresh roll anyday!

I slept in for work on Saturday morning so had a McDonald's sausage and egg bagel mid-morning. The asphalt I make would have been softer and tastier.

Memo to self: Must get up on time.

justine
18-Nov-08, 10:21
i think the point of this thread was to find out what your favourite quick nibbler was, not the history of the bagel.:Razz
Now like oh i like my bagels, but i have to say i am with floyed on this one, got to be the humble toastie,I like mine with either cheese and ham or sausage and baked bean.

golach
18-Nov-08, 10:23
I would love an Aberdeen Buttery, slightly warm....mmmmmm

hotrod4
18-Nov-08, 16:39
I would love an Aberdeen Buttery, slightly warm....mmmmmm
Jings crivvens and help ma boab, for once Golach I can say that I am in total 100% agreement with you!!!!!!:lol:

Or how about an Early morning roll from the bakers up Fernieside in Edinburgh, well done to a crisp....mmmmmm

golach
18-Nov-08, 17:16
Jings crivvens and help ma boab, for once Golach I can say that I am in total 100% agreement with you!!!!!!:lol:

Or how about an Early morning roll from the bakers up Fernieside in Edinburgh, well done to a crisp....mmmmmm
This must be a special day, Hotrod agrees with me, and now I am agreeing with him, A Early Morning Well Fired roll, still warm, is best cure for a hangover ever