PDA

View Full Version : The new meaning of Christmas

Julia
17-Nov-08, 18:31
Debt for one and all, worrying about how to pay for the coming Christmas while still paying for Christmas past. It's true probably for the majority, when did this happen and why didn't anyone do anything to grit this slippery slope?

Who really remembers what they were given last year? Have you used it, can you find it? Was it really that important?

This isn't what Christmas is supposed to be about, what is this teaching our kids? :eek:

Torvaig
17-Nov-08, 19:00
Well said Julia; folks have forgotten that they have free will; you don't have to obey the market forces! I won't say any more on the matter; my thoughts have been made clear on many an occasion.....bah humbug! :lol:

Lavenderblue2
17-Nov-08, 19:28
Well said Julia, I used to love Christmas but now it creates nothing but stress... maybe I'm just getting old.

Not bah humbug Torvaig - you just have things in perspective.

loobyloo
17-Nov-08, 19:52
Couldn't agree more. There is such a huge run-up to Christmas now and you 'have' to enjoy yourself. It's puts folk under an awful lot of pressure. I just try to have a nice meal and spend some time with my family, maybe have the odd glass of mulled wine :). That's good enough for me.
I'm amazed by how much some people spend on their kids and you can guarantee that those self-same kids will be the ones moaning that they didn't get what they wanted on Boxing Day.
It must be a really hard time of year to be on your own.

arana negra
17-Nov-08, 19:52
I have NEVER had Christmas debts and never will. I firmly believe in pay now or don't buy. My kids got what we could buy for cash and they never went without a present. When my kids were wee I knew of many with the same view but some who went OTT and paid all year to clear it then start again :eek: Our christmases did not and do not have stress, we eat drink and have time with however is around at the time. No pressure to be here nor there, no massive meals cooked nor eaten. Room and table dressed good food and time to reflect.

joxville
17-Nov-08, 21:30
I don't get stressed at Christmas. I spend about £100-£150 on my son and I know he can remember what he got for his last few Christmas's and birthday's. I buy my siblings a bottle of spirits and that's my total spend. I ask for nothing in return because I don't need anything. If I need or want something then I buy it. Last Christmas all I received was two books and some sweets from my son-that meant more to me than needless gifts. This year he's giving me a CD, thats all I want. I don't wish to sound an old grump, I do actually like the Christmas feeling, I just dislike the way consumerism has ruined it.

Lolabelle
17-Nov-08, 21:35
We don't really go into the big gift buying for christmas, Dave usually gets me some books to read on our holiday, he used to get me jewelry, but I never wear it, I get him clothes, as he never buys any, so he gets new one each christmas, and usually some music to listen to in the truck. Our extended family gets a $10 lucky dip present and I usually get all the kids a something, this years I'm getting books. I'm glad we dont get caught up in the hype, it's too stressful.

cuddlepop
17-Nov-08, 21:45
Its all about i want now and not about "the thought".
Everyone's been told its a £10 budget this year either as a gift or a donation to charity.
I'm not a deeply religious person but even for me christmas has been spoilt by commercilisation.
:(

poppett
18-Nov-08, 19:38
The donations to charity is a good idea.

The Vine Trust have gift cards this year to help with their Amazon medical ships. I only found out about them because my OH`s Consultant disappeared for three weeks to go on a ship for a fortnight, then stop off in New York to give talks on their work to encourage US medics to give of their time too.

Have had gift aid gifts in the past and really appreciated the thought.

Too much given to the youth now, and they never understand either the true meaning of Christmas or indeed the real value of money.

kitty kat
18-Nov-08, 20:32
the meaning of christmas has long been forgotten i am a very young mum ( so no one saying im an old fart please) but my generation were the first ungrateful little swines but it is as much to do with peer pressure did you get the latest games, trainers etc for christmas and if you didnt you were made to feel a pauper even if you never wanted the things

my daughters birthday is 4 days before christmas so a double celebration and she will be learning what christmas means

speading time with loved ones, enjoying the holiday time together, just being able to sit in a room warm with a christmas candle and tree lights.

make her appreciate not everyone has this, this is her luxury to have a family who care.

i will get her a few gift im not scrooge