PDA

View Full Version : why?

denise
30-Jul-03, 20:38
Why? When I click on a www. link within my Caithness.Org homepage I get a blank screen and nothing appearing in the address bar. Any suggestions greatly appreciated as it's driving me nuts[/b]

jjc
31-Jul-03, 09:22
Does this happen with every link, or just one (and if just one, which one)? It might be a problem with the actual link, rather than your system...

What browser are you using?

denise
01-Aug-03, 17:51
it happens with every link not just one.Browser is blueyonder. Find it only happens when i try to get a link from caithness.org

jjc
01-Aug-03, 19:49
so, if you click on this link - http://www.bbc.co.uk - you get a new window (i.e. you still have THIS window, plus another) and the new window is blank, with no address? (or is it ONLY from the very front page of caithness.org?)

I assume you mean that your ISP is BlueYonder? Are you viewing the internet via Microsoft Internet Explorer? (If you are, you will probably have 'Caithness.org::View topic - why? - Microsoft Internet Explorer' on the window's title bar)

Sorry to ask so many questions - just trying to get an idea what's going on...

denise
02-Aug-03, 20:52
I clicked on the address and only got a blank screen nothing in the address bar with caithness page underneath, this happens whenever I click a link within the Caithness pages.
It has caithnessorg/phpBB/viewtopicphp?t in the address bar.
Hope this helps solve my little problem.
Thanks very much for your help.

jjc
02-Aug-03, 22:09
Denise,

I'm still a little confused by this. The only thing I can think of that would cause your window to open and nothing to be displayed is that you are no longer connected to the internet.

Is your connection Broadband, or do you have to dial-up using a standard modem? One thing that might be worth trying is to completely refresh the page BEFORE you click the link (this will ensure that you are still connected).

To do this, open the caithness.org home page and press both your Control (CTRL) key and your F5 key at the same time. If the caithness.org page is displayed again then you are still connected and you should try another link to see if you get the same problem. If the caithness.org page is not displayed after pressing these two keys then it is likely that you have lost your connection to the internet (which would explain why your links don't work).

Please give this a go and let me know the results.

Anonymous
03-Aug-03, 10:28
Other thing you can try is to right click on the link (one that is causing bother) and then select "open in new window".

If things are still the same, can you go into your browser help menu and click on the "about" option, and mail/post what it says in there. From that info we should be able to tell whats going on.

Thinking about it, I'll script up an error report page today that will read this information from your browser and add it to the error report, watch this space...

denise
03-Aug-03, 15:57
JJC
I am still connected to the internet, we are back using a standard modem(didn't spend enough tiime surfing to justify the broadband link, although it was grreat) connection. Pressed the CTRL and F5 keys at the same time and still connected. However last night when I tried to get a link through google search a new page was coming up with nothing in the addy bar?
When i typed the addy into the bar myself it linked me to the site. Strange!eh!

jjc
03-Aug-03, 17:14
Denise,

I take it then that you used to have a broadband connection through BlueYonder but have now reverted to dial-up? Has this been a problem since the switch?

Could you please check something?

Could you go to the 'TOOLS' menu in Internet Explorer and then go into the 'Connections' tab. In there, you will have a text box where all of your internet connections are listed. Could you tell me what you have in that window?

Also, there are three radial options; 'Never dial a connection', 'Dial whenever a network connection is not present', and 'Always dial my default connection'. Which of these is selected?

Finally, below the three radial options your default connection (one of the ones from the text box above it) should be referenced. Which is set as your default?

Don't worry... we're getting there. :o)

JJC

denise
05-Aug-03, 19:12
in the text box its blueyonder[default] and always dial my default is selected

have tried what naill suggested but still no luck

jjc
05-Aug-03, 20:48
Hi again, Denise,

Is 'Blueyonder [default]' the only entry in the text box?

Could you clarify your connection method. Am I right in thinking:

1 - you used to connect to the internet with Blueyonder Broadband?
2 - you switched from Blueyonder Broadband and now connect with a standard modem?
3 - your connection using the modem is still with Blueyonder?

Can you let me know the steps you go through when you first connect to the internet when you've turned your PC on? Do you connect to the internet yourself (i.e. is there a shortcut on your desktop that you run which makes your modem dial - maybe called 'Blueyonder'), or does Internet Explorer dial your modem itself when you open it?

Also (sorry to ask so many questions), when you set up your connection with Blueyonder, did you have any software that had to be installed in order to allow you to connect? If so, do you know what it is called?

JJC

denise
06-Aug-03, 20:43
JJC
Shortcut on desktop to Internet Explorer takes me to the dial up connection box and I click on connect. Don't have it on automatic dial-up.
Yes to questions 1, 2 and 3.
Installed a blueyonder dial-up disc.
Hope this helps.

jjc
06-Aug-03, 21:33
Hmm... only in that I think it rules out what I thought the problem was... Still, onwards and upwards!!

Can you go to the Help menu and click on 'About Internet Explorer'? From there, could you please tell me the Version Number and, if it is available, the Update Versions?

Thanks.

JJC

Anonymous
07-Aug-03, 10:07
I think I've found the bug!!!

Possibly...

denise, are you using windows 98 or 98SE or ME?

if so, looks like the fix here will work...

Mabee JJC can have a look and translate into english ?;o) I fear, my translation would be just as meaningless...

http://forums.techguy.org/t144634/sccf8ffd8ae11f5172d4514e8c63ee28e.html

jjc
07-Aug-03, 12:26
Well spotted, Niall.

Denise,

This file is updated as part of the Internet Explorer installation, so the easiest and safest (if not the fastest) way to update this file might be to upgrade your Internet Explorer. Can you still give me the information requested in my last post?

Cheers,

denise
08-Aug-03, 19:45
NAILL
its windows XP iam using sorry naill

denise
08-Aug-03, 19:48
JJC
Sorry its taken a few nights but the bairns no been to well.
Anyway Version No: 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148CO
Updated Version 0

Hope this helps

jjc
08-Aug-03, 20:41
Denise,

Even though you are not using the operating systems that Niall mentioned, I would still recommend updating to the most current release of Internet Explorer just to be sure that there are no problems there.

To do this should be fairly straight forwards on Windows XP. Go to the 'START' menu and into 'ALL PROGRAMS'. In there, run the 'Windows Update' program.

You will get a new window (assuming you don't get the same problem.. if you do then type http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp into the address bar) which has a link to 'Scan for Updates'. Clicking on that will scan your PC to make sure that you have the most up to date drivers and software packages for XP and will recommend any patches that you need to install.

Once you have clicked on 'Scan for Updates' you will see, on the left hand side of this window, three headers: 'Critical Updates and Service Packs', 'Windows XP', and 'Driver Updates'.

Go into each and add anything that is available to update your PC.

Once you have added the updates, go to 'Review and Install Updates'.

This will tell you to total size of the updates and, more importantly, how long it should take to install them.

If the total time is too long (i.e. if your ISP cuts your internet connection after, say, 2 hours and the install is going to take 3) simply click REMOVE next to some of the updates until the time is more reasonable. You can always repeat this process as often as needs be to make sure that you have everything.

(This also applies to anything with a * next to it. Patches marked with a * need to be installed separately. To do this, just click remove next to everything else. Once the patch is installed, repeat this whole process for the rest.)

Once you are happy with the timings, click 'Install Now' and leave it to it (you might need to say yes to some licensing stuff).

Repeat this whole process until you have installed everything recommended.

Sorry, but this is going to take you a while across the modem. Once you have done it, it is advisable to keep up to date by doing this regularly (say every week). That way the list won't build up too much.

Give this a go and let me know if you need any help.

Good luck!

denise
13-Aug-03, 16:14
JJC
just finished downloading the last of the updates and guess what still a blank page when Iam clicking on a link

jjc
13-Aug-03, 17:08
Hmm... kept you quiet for a while though ;)

Only kidding. I'll have a think and get back to you :)

Mr Sensitive
13-Aug-03, 18:00
It happens with every link not just one.Browser is blueyonder. Find it only happens when i try to get a link from caithness.org
Denise, you didn't quite answer jjc's questions:

I take it then that you used to have a broadband connection through BlueYonder but have now reverted to dial-up? Has this been a problem since the switch?

My initial guess was that the answer to jjc's second question is "yes", and I suspected the problem may be caused by your switch from broadband to dialup, but now I'm not so sure because it seems you only have one networking option, or so you think. I might still be on the right track.

When did you make the switch from broadband to dialup? How many weeks ago? I have seen similar problems in the past but I never quite got to the bottom of them. I would guess that your networking software (whatever that may mean here) still thinks you still have a broadband connection and is looking "there" for stuff from your most visited sites such as caithness.org.

In the past I have cleared caches/proxies and even resorted to trashing my entire browser installation and reinstalling to cure this problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have found time to be the best cure, but would love to know what is really going on.

jjc
14-Aug-03, 17:45
Denise,

I know that this might be an expensive option (especially if your ISP charges as much for support as mine), but have you considered calling BlueYonder? Since the install of the dial-up configuration is done via their software installation (rather than manually), they might well know exactly what causes this (i.e. them) and exactly how to fix it?

Mr Sensitive
14-Aug-03, 18:53
Been thinking about this again today, and I still think I might be on the right track. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a machine which is setup for both dialup and ethernet right now.

Denise, have you tried removing or disabling your ethernet card? Your OS can't look for things on a device it doesn't know about, I think! Well, hopefully .........

denise
14-Aug-03, 20:54
Mr Sensitive

Where do I find the ethernet card/

denise
14-Aug-03, 20:57
JJC
It seems that the next step would be to phone blueyonder as nothing else has worked.
Will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

denise
14-Aug-03, 21:38
JJC & MR SENSITIVE

Phoned blueyonder they tod me to go to start then to run and they gave me a code to type in the box and everything is fine now. The phone call never even took 2 minutes, typical.
Anyway thank-you both for your help.
And for your patience JJC.
Bye for now3.

Mr Sensitive
14-Aug-03, 23:53
Great news, Denise!

That solution sounds familiar. Could you tell me what you had to type after you clicked on "run"? I used to have some such gibberish written on a piece of paper on my desk but I lost the paper and my local PC guru found a different solution so I no longer cared.

The command "switches off" the ethernet card in some sense that I don't recall, and then I had to type "reset all" or "reset SomethingOrOther".

Please put me out of my misery!

denise
16-Aug-03, 20:57
MR Sensitive

small italics - regsvr32 urlmon.dll

hope this is of some use to you

jjc
16-Aug-03, 21:27
Hi Denise, that's good news, glad it all got sorted.

It just goes to show that even though we may think ISP techy-bods are gormless - I used to be one and can say that most are - they do have their uses (even if it was probably their install that unregistered urlmon.dll in the first place!).