PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Carrier Bags

Julia
16-Nov-08, 22:52
From tomorrow, Monday 17th Nov, Tesco will no longer have free carrier bags on display but they will still be available if you ask.

Good idea, this should hopefully encourage more shoppers to re-use bags.

changilass
16-Nov-08, 23:27
The day the supermarkets stop putting excess packaging on things is the day I will stop using carriers.

I need 2 carriers to put all the rubbish in just from unpacking the groceries.

northener
16-Nov-08, 23:46
From tomorrow, Monday 17th Nov, Tesco will no longer have free carrier bags on display but they will still be available if you ask....... .

Good.

I think it is disgusting that Tesco have been able to get away with openly flaunting 'available' carrier bags in areas where juveniles may see them.
If I had my way, all carrier bags would be banned - never mind being sold under the counter. Disgusting...nobody openly hawked these disgusting things in my day..........

Seriously though, is this merely a fiscal economy drive wrapped up (pun intended) as an enviromental benefit?

2little2late
16-Nov-08, 23:49
What have the carrier bags got to do with juveniles? :confused

kerzbabezx
16-Nov-08, 23:51
the co-op already do this

Sapphire2803
16-Nov-08, 23:52
What have the carrier bags got to do with juveniles? :confused

Northerner made a funny... now remember, it's laughter, rinse and repeat... or sommat :confused

kitty kat
17-Nov-08, 10:08
good these thin usless article dont hold anything i always take my reusable one they fit in ten times as much and if packed right you dont end up with everything squashed

mccaugm
17-Nov-08, 10:44
I take my reuseable ones...the hessian ones are great. Great for carting things to the charity shop as well. If I do end up having carrier bags I give them to the Tesco delivery driver and get extra green points...bonus.

Suth11
17-Nov-08, 12:21
thats great I much prefer my reusable bags.
on other note i used to work in tesco and one customer took all the packaging he didnt want and asked if i could pop it in the bin for him.
i think this is a great idea and i think it has been brought up on here before.
if tesco (and other companies of course) have to get rid of all the excess rubbish then they will start to do something about it.

i aslo think argos have a wee sign up saying that they will take extra packaging and i got an oven delivered from debenhams last week and they offered to take it away aswell :D

i know when we moved in 3 years ago no one that made deliveries to us offered that.

Murdina Bug
17-Nov-08, 12:39
It's PC claptrap. "We hide our bags so we're greener than you are, na, na, na, na NAH!" Personally, I don't respond to 'stick' rather than 'carrot' measures which shops have used in the past (e.g. points for bringing bags back, encouraging use of recycling etc) and which I thought were a good idea. This is just embarrasing for the customers - please can I have a bag - you can just imagine the tuts and dirty looks you're going to get!! I think it is actually more effective to make you pay for bags like Lidl.

Skerries
17-Nov-08, 18:47
The day the supermarkets stop putting excess packaging on things is the day I will stop using carriers.

You're not wrong about the excess packaging!

We use the hessian bags and cotton ones, and also take the plastic carriers for any excess shopping (and there usually is more than intended). We then use the carriers as bin liners.

router
17-Nov-08, 20:21
From tomorrow, Monday 17th Nov, Tesco will no longer have free carrier bags on display but they will still be available if you ask.

Good idea, this should hopefully encourage more shoppers to re-use bags.
is a good idea that
must remember to let the dog know he has to take his own bag to carry his fruit in :lol:

Blondie
17-Nov-08, 20:39
You can get pre packed carrots already in a bag!

joxville
17-Nov-08, 21:57
You can get pre packed carrots already in a bag!

Wow-whatever next? Smarties in a tube? :roll:

Riffman
19-Nov-08, 19:08
I take great delight in going shopping wearing my Realtree Hardwoods american camo jacket....not because of all the strange looks I get dressed up as a tree.....but the fact that the pockets are designed to fit a small snack for an american hunter....

...which is most of a weekly shop! I love the fact I can get alsolutly tons in the pockets, and the looks of disbelief as it all dissapears into them!

No bags needed!

[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
19-Nov-08, 19:21

I know someone who once, to make a point, unpacked all the packaging they could and left it at the bottom of the till for the shop to dispose of. :eek:

hotrod4
19-Nov-08, 19:22
I take great delight in going shopping wearing my Realtree Hardwoods american camo jacket....not because of all the strange looks I get dressed up as a tree.....but the fact that the pockets are designed to fit a small snack for an american hunter....

...which is most of a weekly shop! I love the fact I can get alsolutly tons in the pockets, and the looks of disbelief as it all dissapears into them!

No bags needed!

[lol]
I hope you are not doing some "five finger discount!" with a coat like that[lol]

binbob
19-Nov-08, 19:24
i think the us idea of paper bags is better ..at least they are biodegradeable...just a thought...

northener
19-Nov-08, 20:01
............[lol]

Shoplifter!

ak1
19-Nov-08, 20:55
I have lots of the green bags in my car,the problem is i keep forgetting to bring them into the shop and dont remember till im at the till!!

Julia
19-Nov-08, 21:30
In Tesco yesterday and there are still bags at the self service checkouts. I don't suppose you could take those bags away, imagine being stranded with no bags and heaps of shopping.

grumpy1
19-Nov-08, 23:21
i reckon they should charge for them like the old days... there more chance of folk actually reusing them if they think they have to fork out for them every time they shop !!!!