PDA

View Full Version : New schools.

cuddlepop
16-Nov-08, 18:25
it would appear that portree and FortWilliam will now move forward with their stand alone Gaelic Primary.

Standalone Gaelic Primary Schools (14/11/08)

The Highland Council’s Education, Culture and Sport Committee has agreed the principle of establishing a Gaelic Medium School to serve Greater Fort William and another to serve Portree and communities currently served by the Gaelic Medium provision in Portree Primary School, Skye.
Statutory consultations were undertaken by the Council in each of the communities in September/October and the results showed that in each of the communities there was strong support for standalone Gaelic school provision.
Council officials will now prepare option proposals on preferred sites for the new schools for members’ consideration. Members and officers will meet with the Scottish Government and Bord na Gaidhlig to discuss capital funding for the school developments.
Councillor Michael Foxley, Leader of the Council’s Administration, who represents Fort William and Ardnamurchan, said: “For the last 14 years, Gaelic Medium Education has been served well by St. Mary’s Primary School in Fort William but there is a need to grow in scope, size and impact our provision in the Greater Fort William area. We need to impress upon parents and children the advantages of bi-lingualism within the European context. We will need to seek additional funding for both school developments at Fort William and Portree and we will form a small group of dedicated members, parents and council staff to further discussions with the Scottish Government.”
Councillor Hamish Fraser, Chairman of the Council’s Gaelic Committee, who represents Skye, said: “I would like to thank everyone involved in both consultations at Fort William and Portree, Council staff and members of the public. I congratulate the Council for moving forward the Council’s Gaelic Plan which is another historic and important decision which reinforces the Councils commitment to the Gaelic language and sends out a clear message that we are taking seriously our obligation to that Plan.
“The hard work now begins in establishing the correct locations, securing adequate funding from our partners in order that, when these schools are built they will be established for greater benefit for our children and the wider community.”
-

Well the just makes me mad and fuels the fire to the debate that Gaelic gets everything.
This will divide our community and leave a perfectly acceptable Ps half empty.
Why?:confused
Surely when times are tough and there is no money to be spent on essentail school repairs HC do this.Fiona Hyslop has already told them they've had their financial settlement so will have to find it from within their own Education budget.

brandy
16-Nov-08, 19:04
maybe if we turn WHS into a galiec learning school we will get a new one?

blackcat
16-Nov-08, 21:24

That is certainly how things are looking these days!!

Venture
16-Nov-08, 21:26

Could come in handy for those wishing to learn to read the Gaelic road signs.[lol]

blackcat
16-Nov-08, 21:32
What is the gaelic for CCTV?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
16-Nov-08, 21:38
Gaelic is dying as a language.The reason.French,German and Spanish,etc.I am a Scot.Proud.Kids at school are going to learn a language that will benefit their future needs.If they get get a job in Europe,they might need French,German or Spanish,etc.What would they need gaelic for?I've heard folk sing,speak and rap in gaelic,for what benefit?Most Scots speak in English,but with that accental brawl with every county.As for the new school in Wick.Aye,Wick needs a new school.But build it around and renivate the school thats there now.Has she fallen down,no.So make her steadier and teach the kids as she has done in the past.:D