PDA

View Full Version : duty free

paddy
16-Nov-08, 18:01
when i arrive back from lanzarote how much fags and tobacco can i buy at glasgow airport?

Sapphire2803
16-Nov-08, 18:23
The following items may be imported into the UK without incurring customs duty by travellers aged 17 years and over arriving from non-EU countries:

• 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
• 2l of table wine.
• 1l of alcoholic beverages stronger than 22% or 2l of fortified or sparkling wine or other liqueurs.
• 60ml of perfume and 250ml of eau de toilette.
• Other goods including souvenirs up to the value of £145.

Note: Goods obtained duty and tax paid in the EU are unlimited.

kitty kat
16-Nov-08, 18:24
that does not seem that much.

Mosser
16-Nov-08, 18:25
when i arrive back from lanzarote how much fags and tobacco can i buy at glasgow airport?

None, you have to buy it at the Lanzarote end

Sapphire2803
16-Nov-08, 18:30
According to the Glasgow airport website (http://www.glasgowairport.com/portal/site/glasgow/template.PAGE/menuitem.5cb822884ec6f4cd63f0ec109328c1a0/?javax.portlet.tpst=cc1607a35344081db03f78109328c1 a0&javax.portlet.prp_cc1607a35344081db03f78109328c1a0 _shoptype=Shop&javax.portlet.prp_cc1607a35344081db03f78109328c1a0 _SAVE_SUCCESS=true&javax.portlet.prp_cc1607a35344081db03f78109328c1a0 _form.validation.flag=true&javax.portlet.prp_cc1607a35344081db03f78109328c1a0 _shop=1f454ba3e5835110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&javax.portlet.prp_cc1607a35344081db03f78109328c1a0 _SHOW_SHOP_PAGE=true&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken# anchor), there is a "World Duty Free Arrivals Store", but it doesn't mention tobacco products.
It'd be worth phoning them to find out for sure.

igglepiggle
17-Nov-08, 14:05
hi there, we just came back from lanzarote last month. we bought some from the exchange shop in costa teguise and put it in our luggage and then got some at duty free, but when you arrive in glasgow there is a notice saying that there is no limit amount aslong as it is for your own use. We were dissapointed as if we new this we could of taken more, but you are only allowed so much at duty free, at the exhange shop you can take as much as you want and it is also cheaper there

hope this helps you

golach
17-Nov-08, 14:16
hi there, we just came back from lanzarote last month. we bought some from the exchange shop in costa teguise and put it in our luggage and then got some at duty free, but when you arrive in glasgow there is a notice saying that there is no limit amount aslong as it is for your own use. We were dissapointed as if we new this we could of taken more, but you are only allowed so much at duty free, at the exhange shop you can take as much as you want and it is also cheaper there

hope this helps you
Naughty Naughty igglepiggle, you were lucky
here is the official allowances allowed from the Canaries
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_010220&propertyType=document

Sapphire2803
17-Nov-08, 14:37
Naughty Naughty igglepiggle, you were lucky
here is the official allowances allowed from the Canaries
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_010220&propertyType=document

Not at all. Those are the limits for duty free purchases.
If you purchase alcohol and/or tobacco in the EU and pay the normal prices for whatever country you are in, then you are paying duty in that country. There is no limit on that as long as it is for personal use.
The problem is that it is up to the individual customs officer to decide what "personal use" means. So if you get a jobsworth, you can have your purchases confiscated and end up in court.

changilass
17-Nov-08, 14:41
Are the Canary Islands not duty free, in which case anything would still need duty to be paid. Or am I thinking of somewhere else????

Sapphire2803
17-Nov-08, 14:49
Are the Canary Islands not duty free, in which case anything would still need duty to be paid. Or am I thinking of somewhere else????

Quite possibly, are they in the EU? I did say EU countries, but after I posted I did sit here for a minute thinking "Hang on... the Canaries?"

Well anyway, between us we've probably got the facts there somewhere :lol:

golach
17-Nov-08, 14:50
Not at all. Those are the limits for duty free purchases.
If you purchase alcohol and/or tobacco in the EU and pay the normal prices for whatever country you are in, then you are paying duty in that country. There is no limit on that as long as it is for personal use.
The problem is that it is up to the individual customs officer to decide what "personal use" means. So if you get a jobsworth, you can have your purchases confiscated and end up in court.

I am not entering into an argument with you Sapphire for you to score points else where. But the Canary Islands are all duty free, they are not part of the EU, every thing you purchase on the Island is technically duty free, even your electrical goods and digital cameras, so all should be declared on arrival in the UK.
The limit laid down in the link is what HMRC staff use as the rules not guidelines, it is not a case of jobsworths. I was a Customs Officer for 33 years, I think I know where to go to buy my cheap fags and booze, and it not the Canaries.

Sapphire2803
17-Nov-08, 14:55
No point scoring at all. You're right, the Canaries aren't in the EU.
If you read my post again you'll see I was just having a blonde moment as regards EU countries.

The personal use rule (EU purchases) is purely at the discretion of the Customs Officer these days. My point was that there are Customs Officers who are more strict with their decisions. I did not know that you were ever employed by HMRC. Well done, congratulations and I'm sure your decisions were always fair and impartial.

golach
17-Nov-08, 15:40
These are guidelines officers of the HMRC stick to these days for calculating the duty free amounts each individual can take in the the UK from the EU.
There is not a sliding scale this is the rules set down not by the UK government but by Brussels.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_InfoGuides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD_010221

Sapphire2803
17-Nov-08, 15:56
Exactly, they are guidelines and not rules and btw they're not for duty free, that has strict limits. My point was just that they are open to misinterpretation and/or abuse.

If you are bringing in alcohol or tobacco goods and we have reason to suspect they may be for a commercial purpose, a Customs officer may ask you questions and make checks, for example about:

the type and quantity of goods you have bought
why you bought them
how you paid for them
whether all your goods are openly displayed or concealed
how often you travel
how much you normally smoke or drink or
any other relevant circumstances.

You are particularly likely to be asked questions if you have more than:
3200 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos, 3kg tobacco, 110 litres of beer, 90 litres of wine, 10 litres of spirits, 20 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry).
The officer will take into account all the factors of the situation and your explanation.
If we are satisfied that the goods are for a commercial purpose we may seize them and any vehicle used to transport them, and may not return them to you.
So if they decide on the day that your goods are for commercial purpose then you can kiss them bye bye.

Also, it says "You are particularly likely to be asked questions if you have more than:..."
Which means they can question you if you have less.
Hypothetically, they can call you in for 200 cigarettes and then confiscate them.

But all this is hardly the point as the OP was asking about Glasgow airport selling tobacco products.