PDA

View Full Version : Q plate vehicle

STUDMUFFIN
16-Nov-08, 08:50
Please could someone tell me what a "q" reg plate on a car means for insurance purposes etc

EDDIE
16-Nov-08, 08:55
Q plate on a vehicle means either the car was a right of and done up it if the car is a kit car car it will be q plate or just in general a car that has been adapted.But if i seen a every day run of the mill car with a q plate i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole but thats just me

STUDMUFFIN
16-Nov-08, 08:57
It was a land rover that has converted into a high top campervan. Does that conversion warrant a plate change?

EDDIE
16-Nov-08, 09:06
i would say yes because its changed the idenity of the land rover.Are u thinking about buying a converted motorhome.

STUDMUFFIN
16-Nov-08, 09:08
No, just fancied a landrover with enough seats for kids and dog etc and this one is cheapish

EDDIE
16-Nov-08, 09:21
the sight below is a website dedicated to people converting there vans to motorhomes they have a messageboard it might be worth while asking there
http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/

Kevin Milkins
16-Nov-08, 11:43
Although a camper van may have plenty of seats its worth checking out the legal requirments.Most seats in a camper are only meant for sitting on when the camper is stationary.

DeHaviLand
16-Nov-08, 12:24
It was a land rover that has converted into a high top campervan. Does that conversion warrant a plate change?

That kind of conversion alone wouldnt warrant a plate change. If the vehicle being adapted had retained the engine, chassis and transmission, the existing number plate would have been retained.

The Q plate is applied where a vehicle is of an indeterminate age.

In the case of this landrover, it looks more like a rebuild than an conversion.

STUDMUFFIN
16-Nov-08, 12:42
Thanks for your replies. I dont think i will bother with it, too much trouble

Mik.M.
16-Nov-08, 13:21
Q Plate vehicles are of undeterminable age. Kit cars and vehicles which have been written off by the insurance company as beyond economical repair. If you check the DVLA website I`m sure you will find all the information you need.

northener
16-Nov-08, 13:48
A lot of older and ex-military landies are built up with replacement/odd chassis and engines sourced from all over the place. A 'Q' plate isn't necessarily a problem, but you'd need to get as much info as poss and speak to a few insurance companies.

I'd suggest one of the many LandRover forums...if it's a Dormobile conversion, it could create a fair bit of interest as there's a few Landie Dormobile enthusiasts out there.

As always - Caveat Emptor.

dafi
16-Nov-08, 23:59
I would try an insurance quote for a Q plate before i bought just in case there was a nasty suprise waiting!!