PDA

View Full Version : Shops in England BEWARE!!!

moose and Lindsay
24-Jan-06, 17:17
We were down in England for a long weekend and we never thought, but we took scottish money, no shop would take it!!

I was right annoyed, i even told some people they r shovinist(forgive spelling)

We would of took your money if u came to scotland

1 shop i was at said they would take fivers but thats all

So anyone going to england don't take money wait til u get there and go to their banks, but then when u go to their bank u get a charge for it, some places anyway!!!

Tymey
24-Jan-06, 17:20
I had an experience similar when shopping in England. The person on the till took my Scottish £20 note and held it up to the light. I did the same when she gave me a Bank of England tenner in my change.

I have noticed that some places also refuse to take Northern Irish bank notes. This also is wrong because they have the word "sterling" on them, they are legal tender.

paris
24-Jan-06, 17:22
We never had problems using scottish money in shops down here, got some funny comments though .

Geo
24-Jan-06, 17:32
Only notes issued by the Bank of England in England and Wales are legal tender, meaning they must be accepted to pay a debt.

Chillie
24-Jan-06, 17:53
We were down in England for a long weekend and we never thought, but we took scottish money, no shop would take it!!

I was right annoyed, i even told some people they r shovinist(forgive spelling)

We would of took your money if u came to scotland

1 shop i was at said they would take fivers but thats all

So anyone going to england don't take money wait til u get there and go to their banks, but then when u go to their bank u get a charge for it, some places anyway!!!

That's terrible, i bet you were annoyed i hope you took your money back and left the good's on the counter. Maybe this thread should of been called scots beware of England!

Rheghead
24-Jan-06, 17:59
I usually have no problems in England with my cash but one pub had a sign up behind the bar to say that they refused Scottish notes. I now go in the other bars in Barrow-in-Furness since my money isn't good enough for them.[mad]

Chillie
24-Jan-06, 18:00
I usually have no problems in England with my cash but one pub had a sign up behind the bar to say that they refused Scottish notes. I now go in the other bars in Barrow-in-Furness since my money isn't good enough for them.[mad]

Good for you[lol]

scotsboy
24-Jan-06, 18:01
A good mate of mine from London used to go out of his way to try to get Scottish One Pound notes on his visits up to Glasgow - he regulary used to get change for a fiver with them in London.

Tymey
24-Jan-06, 18:35
Only notes issued by the Bank of England in England and Wales are legal tender, meaning they must be accepted to pay a debt.

From www.bankofengland.co.uk

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

I stand corrected. It is still a pain in the neck though.

Chillie
24-Jan-06, 19:02
From www.bankofengland.co.uk (http://www.bankofengland.co.uk)

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

I stand corrected. It is still a pain in the neck though.

If that is the case i call for all scottish business'es to refuse all english bank notes and say that all scottish banks should not be governed by the bank of england who have the right to raise all scottish banks interest rates.[mad] [mad]

Tristan
24-Jan-06, 19:10
Another good site here

http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/1_7.html

One problem I have heard for shops etc in England is that there is a problem with forgeries of Scottish notes because there is no single style and each bank issues its own version: they are never sure which are valid or not.

Even though Scottish notes are not 'legal tender' they have the same exchange value as they are tied to the Brittish Pound.

Sporran
24-Jan-06, 19:22

Crickey, I didn't realise that nonsense was still going on! I remember the time a number of years ago, when some shops etc. in England would accept a Scottish pound note, but not the full value of it. They regarded it as the equivalent of 90 or 95 pence -- or something like that! [disgust]

I was annoyed 3 years ago, when an American bank I used on the Continent changed its policy, and decided it wasn't going to accept Scottish banknotes anymore! Had it been English banknotes, they would have converted the money without any problem. So I held onto my Scottish pounds, and forgot I still had them, till this past December. Now living in the USA, I thought I'd try my luck at converting the money here. They changed it to dollars nae bother, thank goodness! It was a nice Christmas bonus! :grin:

landmarker
24-Jan-06, 19:32
[QUOTE=Tymey]I had an experience similar when shopping in England. The person on the till took my Scottish £20 note and held it up to the light. I did the same when she gave me a Bank of England tenner in my change.
QUOTE]

They do this with English notes all the time too. Especially in supermarkets.
It is a bit annoying. Next time I get a note back I must remember to do the same myself.

In the eighties I worked for a Bellshill battery company and was paid in cash, every week with Scottish notes.Never met any problems down here back then.

Paid a £30 fine in Scottish notes c.'79 (motoring offence) the clerk to the magistrates in Cheshire didn't want to take Scottish tenners. I told him 'ee 'could please 'imself, that's all I've got.' He took them.

ice box
24-Jan-06, 19:37
Sound like our moneys not good enough for the english so we should refuse theres see how they like it lol :(

Tristan
24-Jan-06, 19:51
From http://www.royalmint.com/RoyalMint/web/site/Corporate/Home/Corp_faq.asp

Q What is the legal tender amounts acceptable for the United Kingdom coins?
Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes. In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender it is necessary, for example, actually to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded.

The amounts for legal tender are stated below.

BANK OF ENGLAND NOTES:

In England and Wales the £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes are legal tender for payment of any amount. However, they are not legal tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

COINS:

Circulating coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amounts:

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

DrSzin
24-Jan-06, 19:55
I usually have no problems in England with my cash but one pub had a sign up behind the bar to say that they refused Scottish notes. I now go in the other bars in Barrow-in-Furness since my money isn't good enough for them.[mad]I've been in one of those. I ordered a big round of drinks. They took my money -- because the alternative was to pour away half a dozen pints. :D

Geo
24-Jan-06, 20:01
I can see both sides of the argument. Imagine it was the other way around, The Bank of Scotland made the only legal tender notes in the UK and loads of other banks, some you've never heard of, from England, Wales and N.Ireland made their own notes. Someone comes into your shop with a nice brightly coloured piece of paper claiming it to be Stirling. You've never heard of the bank never mind seen one of their notes before. What do you do?

flyfifer
24-Jan-06, 20:43
As long as the note has word "STERLING" on it it should be accepted. I often present Northern Irish banknotes in shops in Wick and most times they are accepted, but its' v embarrassing when they are not and the staff are holding them up to the light "It is sterling" I murmur, they get the supervisor "It is sterling" I repeat louder, they phone other branches of shop...big queue of folk behind me sighing.... finally they accept it and I exit redfaced!

Geo
24-Jan-06, 20:51
Given my above scenario though, it could say anything on it, you still wouldn't actually know if it was real money. Counterfeit money doesn't say "This isn't stirling." ;)

Fluff
24-Jan-06, 21:15
when i first moved down and still had some scottish notes, i tried to pay for some stuff at the shop across the road from myself.
The guy on the counter would'nt accept it and, i asked why?
At the time down here there had been alot of forgies of scottish notes going around. He was aplogetic and took the time to explain it to me, so it is not always a case of arrogance and ignorance (which i have come across too)

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jan-06, 21:16
I regularly go to England and always lift money from the cash machine in Gretna.I have never had any problem using it, only once was it double checked when I was there and the girl was very sorry and explained that it was because they had a run of forged twenty pound notes and they had to be careful.When they are not used to handling this money you can understand why they are wary as its their buts that get kicked at the end of the day if they take a forged note but you do feel like a bit awkward.

Whitewater
25-Jan-06, 10:56
Maybe I have just been lucky but I have never had any trouble having Scottish notes accepted in England. However, I guess there is a problem when we have so many banks in Scotland, each issuing it own notes. I'm sure that if I were a shopkeeper in England I would tend to be wary.

I can't remember which bank issued a particular £1 note, it was blue in colour and very similar to the English £5 note, it caused confusion and as 'scotsboy' has already said one of his friends used to collect them to go to London to get change of a fiver.

There should not be a problem now though as you can use 'Switch' which is accepted in all shops and most pubs and resturants.

Chillie
25-Jan-06, 11:09
There should not be a problem now though as you can use 'Switch' which is accepted in all shops and most pubs and resturants.

Yes that might be the case but some people might not have plastic,or even a bank account and with the growing amount of debt people have nowadays due to plastic they are now being advised to cut it up and go back to using cash.:roll:

DrSzin
25-Jan-06, 12:06
I can't remember which bank issued a particular £1 note, it was blue in colour and very similar to the English £5 note, it caused confusion and as 'scotsboy' has already said one of his friends used to collect them to go to London to get change of a fiver.I think it was the Clydesdale Bank. I too have received change for a fiver when handing over one of these. This was a long time ago though, 1979 or '80 perhaps?

Lucy
25-Jan-06, 13:10
A few years back i was staying with relatives down in England. i went into a large supermarket and had a full trolley of food etc. When i got to the checkout they wouln't take my money. After a lot of discussion with the manager and the queues getting longer by the minute i left the full trolley in the middle of the checkout and told them that if my money wasn't good enough i would shop elsewhere and they could put everything back on the shelves themselves. Boy was i mad Grrr

flyfifer
25-Jan-06, 17:43
Given my above scenario though, it could say anything on it, you still wouldn't actually know if it was real money. Counterfeit money doesn't say "This isn't stirling." ;)

So why do they not hold my scottish notes up to the light to see if I'm trying to cheat them then??

crashbandicoot1979
25-Jan-06, 18:11
Scottish Bank Notes are "promisory notes" - the note contains a promise that, if presented to the banks head office, the bank will pay the bearer the equivalent of sterling (ie. they'll swap a scottish fiver for an english one!). Therefore, retailers are protected by this promise, so realistically they should accept the notes they are offered. But as it stands, retailers in England and Wales are within their rights to refuse Scottish banknotes as they are not legally obliged to accept them.

Sir_Jocky_Thirsa_MP
25-Jan-06, 19:00
If I'm in London and encounter any problems when trying to pay for my Turkey Twizlers in the House canteen I simply twiddle my moustache and say "Yooooou Beauuuuuuuuty!!!" at the top of my voice whilst simultaneously showing the poor fellow what a Scotsman wears under his kilt. I'd recommend this approach to anyone.

Geo
25-Jan-06, 19:36
So why do they not hold my scottish notes up to the light to see if I'm trying to cheat them then??

because some people are happy to accept them and some aren't, simple as that.

Plus you have an honest face. :)

kenimac1
26-Jan-06, 00:37
I'm in England quite often and as an earlier post said, problem most places is they don't see much Scottish money and with all the different notes they aren't sure if its forgeries. Simple answer is any Scottish bank will give you English notes if you ask. Nip in before you go away and save your blood pressure!

crayola
26-Jan-06, 00:46
It's much more fun taking Scottish money and smiling nicely at 'em. ;)

JAWS
26-Jan-06, 00:57
The only time I had problems was on a visit to my old haunts round Manchester. There was a sign in my old local Chippy saying no Scottish Notes because of a spate of forgeries.
I know it wasn't English awkwardness because the owner had a broad Weegie accent you could cut steel with and a face that very definitely said "Don't Mess!". :lol:

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 01:07
There was a sign in my old local Chippy saying no Scottish Notes because of a spate of forgeries.

I can't understand anyone trying to fob off a fake Scottish note down in England. A forger relies on anonymity at the point of sale inorder to get away with the crime. If you pass over a Scottish note in England you will get a pallaver, a scrutiny and a conversation which will make it all the more memorable for the shopkeeper to pass details on to the police.

JAWS
26-Jan-06, 02:10
I can't understand anyone trying to fob off a fake Scottish note down in England. A forger relies on anonymity at the point of sale inorder to get away with the crime. If you pass over a Scottish note in England you will get a pallaver, a scrutiny and a conversation which will make it all the more memorable for the shopkeeper to pass details on to the police.
They seemed to have had a spate of it round the Manchester Area. I must admit, I too would have thought that even genuine ones are a definite attention getter.
The only thought that had crossed my mind was that there had been an over reaction to a rare occurrence.
The only other thing I could think of is that some of the young gentlemen in areas nearby can demolish solid walls with their heads without suffering any ill effects! :lol:

Tymey
26-Jan-06, 11:11
Someone comes into your shop with a nice brightly coloured piece of paper claiming it to be Stirling.

Claiming a piece of paper to be a Scottish city is fairly easy to spot I'd imagine.... :) :)