PDA

View Full Version : Nhs24

binbob
15-Nov-08, 18:33
what are ur experiences of nhs 24??good or bad..i would be very interested to know.

icalled them at 11 am this morning..really just needed advice ..preferably from a dr.
first call.....nice chap spoke to me..took the details..said a NURSE would call...

second call....lady called 2 and half hours later...did not have the correct details i gave to the chap...said it was more complicated than she couldv deal with...would get a NURSE to call me...

third call....lovely chap called to say this was a COURTESY call....at 4 pm...just to say they had been very busy.but had not forgotten about me...i said close the call...i will see my gp ..
all said that if i got worse or worried to call back immediately...why??to wait another 5 hours ..
all i wanted/needed was 3 mins to talk with a dr.

needless to say i still have the problem which started last night..i did not expect or require blue flashing lights........just 3 mins of common sense.
i give up...
i got the vet much more easily to see my dogs out of hours[even though it cost a small fortune]...but at least my mind was at ease...unlike now.

justine
15-Nov-08, 19:22
May i say i had the worst experience which turned out to be life threatening because of the NHS 24.I wont go into details of what was wrong but it nearly killed me.[evil]
I contacted doctor at 9am, and was told nothing can be done. Things got worse so i phoned nhs 24 at 3.00pm was told i could not see a doctor until after 6pm.By 5 my oh had had enough and took me to A & E and i ended up on the operating table:eek:
I was bounced pillar to post and got no help. Now if i am in doubt i go to the A & E dept or if less serious stick with ma GP.
Will never trust or use MHS 24 again, but i know they have helped many others so this is just my opinion on them.

binbob
15-Nov-08, 19:36
i can fully understand that.i ndo not have a life threatening problem as far as i can tell.
glad u survived...and u are right not to trust them..

poppett
15-Nov-08, 19:39
Granted my last dealings with NHS 24 was two years ago. Very old lady with dementia had scalded herself. Managed to get the wounds covered with sterile wet cloths to ease the discomfort. Had NHS 24 on the line whilst trying to deal with the confused person who just wanted to go to bed as she had her clothes off. No chance of taking her in a car to A&E as was their first suggestion. Incident happened about 9pm. Telephonist said if the doctor was called to the area for another incident he would call at the house. The next contact was just before mid-day when the district nurse called to check the burns, luckily just two small blisters due to prompt treatment, and she went away wondering what the fuss was about.

That same night the ladys other half took a bad turn, and I did not hesitate to dial 999 and had the blues and twos without the hassle of NHS 24, thus saving his life as he was having classic heart attack symptoms.

cuddlepop
15-Nov-08, 19:52
When my mother was ill last year,my brother gave up phoning NHS24 and dialled 999 in the end.
He got the impression they were using delaying tactics.:(

Suth11
15-Nov-08, 20:20
any dealings i have had with NHS24 have been to do with my son who is now 3.
they were very quick to call back and helpfull and we saw doc at CGH not long after call was made.
another occassion i was working nights and lo got a rash high temp grumpy (1st thing you think is it meningitis) so hubby took him straight to A&E and they saw to him but did ask that while they looked him over could he phone NHS24 and they said that he did the right thing.
so no complaints from us

Kodiak
15-Nov-08, 20:20
I have had to phone the NHS 24 Line twice and each time my experience has been positive.

The 1st time was really an enquiry regarding my Medication and the information I received from them was Polite and very informative.

The 2nd time was late on a Friday Night and after phoning I was put on hold for about 5 secs and a Nurse then came on the line. After speaking to her for about 5 minutes and I answered her questions she then said that she would arrange for an ambulance to take me to Hospitial. Within 5 Minutes the Ambulance was at my door and I was in Hospital shortly after this.

I was fortunate as there was not anything really serious and was soon back home.

So I can honestly say that as far as I am concerned they have been Helpful, efficient and Very Professional. Perhaps I was lucky, I don't know.

kitty kat
15-Nov-08, 21:06
i have had a few dealings with them and i have to say it was really good my daughter has had asthma so i have had to call a few times and each time has been great they are just there as a doctor would be any emergancy treatment should be seen at the a & e.

i dont drive they have always arranged transport. the only problem is there is usually only one doctor on the out of hours shift so trying to locate them and seeing which hospital to go to the general or thurso.

Dorrie
15-Nov-08, 22:40
I have to say that the first time I used NHS24 was a couple of years ago for my Mum and I was very frustrated with having to constantly repeat the same information, over and over again. Although after a couple of hours a DR did appear and Mum was taken to hospital for treatment, so it did eventually work.

As my OH says, people shouldn't get NHS24 confused with the emergency service, it should be treated like a Doctors, if the need is for an ambulance, dial 999.

I had to call them again recently, again for my mother, and this time I must say they were brilliant. They already had my Mum's details on file - and that seemed to make a huge difference. I phoned them from my home, they immediately phoned my Mums home and spoke to her OH and the Dr appeared pretty quickly. I was very pleased with them.

binbob
15-Nov-08, 22:47
i have no need for an ambulance or to dial 999...just common sense and a word with a dr./nurse.
my files are alreadyb there too ...as are most others due to computerised files.they just ask ur permission to access them...

i too have had ok responses in the past...each time resulting in hospital admissions.this time a very new symptom happened...which worried me..reason why i called..
i am still here and will see my gp on monday...if nothing else happens until then.
i have several health issues and they know of them.
by the way,last time i called them is more than 2 years ago...so it is not a frequent happening.
thanks for everyone s input ,though.

mccaugm
15-Nov-08, 23:01
In the main my experiences with NHS 24 have been pointless, fruitless and frustrating, so much so that I phone casualty directly for a straight answer, or if its daytime a doctor at my health centre.

However that said, I had reason to call for advice this morning and after speaking to a call handler who was very pleasant, I waited for a good few minutes to be put through to a nurse, she was brilliant, explained what I should do and was in no way patronising.
So I like to give praise where its needed so well done NHS 24

Fly
16-Nov-08, 00:39
My son-in-law had to wait 3 hours before treatment by NHS 24.
My cat was treated within 40 minutes by vet.
I rest my case.

Fran
16-Nov-08, 03:46
I haVE nothing but praise for NHS24 when I have had to use the service for myself in the past, or for the late" himself". some of the times it was local gp's who were on call. One of the nicest ones wa s a local gp, a lovely spaniard, (mustn't mention names) who had a wonderful bedside manner and very caring to "himself". He even asked how I was and if i was coping. Every time they have been quick to visit either of us, but maybe that is because i am in wick. I think we are very lucky in Caithness for the health service we have here.

binbob
16-Nov-08, 11:25
My son-in-law had to wait 3 hours before treatment by NHS 24.
My cat was treated within 40 minutes by vet.
I rest my case.

i am with u ...

binbob
16-Nov-08, 11:28
I haVE nothing but praise for NHS24 when I have had to use the service for myself in the past, or for the late" himself". some of the times it was local gp's who were on call. One of the nicest ones wa s a local gp, a lovely spaniard, (mustn't mention names) who had a wonderful bedside manner and very caring to "himself". He even asked how I was and if i was coping. Every time they have been quick to visit either of us, but maybe that is because i am in wick. I think we are very lucky in Caithness for the health service we have here.

i would not expect u to say anything else,fran....but .yes we are all lucky in uk for the nhs.however,,when one needs to have a few mins.[at the weekend] with a knowledgeable medical person and after 3 phone calls back from nhs 24...not one of them a nurse/dr.,and 5 hours have passed since the first call made to them......i think i have a point.
i am a qualified nurse... and i also am still suffering.i will see my gp.asap and let them know of my issues with nhs 24.
best wishes

binbob
16-Nov-08, 15:20
thanks,everyone.closing....