PDA

View Full Version : Asda Thurso

jay
24-Jan-06, 15:15
I have just been handed a copy of the notice for serving on neighbours form for application for outline planning - ASDA in the field opposite the Weigh Inn, next to Pennyland Farm - comprising: retail foodstore, petrol filling station, associated car parking, landscaping, access road and roundabout, servicing, playing field and associated community facilities and car parking

plans can be ssen in council offices in Wick

thickrodney
24-Jan-06, 16:41
maybe folks from inverness will start travelling to thurso, to go to a$da:)

Julia
24-Jan-06, 16:52
I have just been handed a copy of the notice for serving on neighbours form for application for outline planning - ASDA in the field opposite the Weigh Inn, next to Pennyland Farm - comprising: retail foodstore, petrol filling station, associated car parking, landscaping, access road and roundabout, servicing, playing field and associated community facilities and car parking

plans can be ssen in council offices in Wick

WOOHOO!! That's good news

scotsboy
24-Jan-06, 17:04
That'll be the Wickers complaining again

rfr10
24-Jan-06, 19:08
Well, I've just checked with ASDA to see if they can give me any more information so just waiting for a reply now.

Chillie
24-Jan-06, 19:10
That'll be the Wickers complaining again

Your darn right, that teenabowla 's alway's copying us weeker's[lol]

LENSMAN
24-Jan-06, 19:29
Sounds fair enough to me, you have Asda and we'll have Tesco, Homebase, Argos, Supadrug, New Look,etc.

ice box
24-Jan-06, 19:52
Sounds fair enough to me, you have Asda and we'll have Tesco, Homebase, Argos, Supadrug, New Look,etc.
and your over priced cinema .

rfr10
24-Jan-06, 19:55
Is there a point in putting all the main shops in Wick and then just chucking one in Thurso??

jay
24-Jan-06, 20:15

no problem, I'll take ASDA anytime! they sell just about everything that those mentioned above do! okay with the exception of homebase

seriously tho' much as I love the thought of ASDA up here I just don't see how the county can sustain all this and, thinking of Thurso alone what shops will be effected:

Graham Begg, Alacam, Mackays, Woolworth, all the filling stations, frasers and of course the co-op and sommerfield - are we going to end up with one lovely big shop and the rest slowly closing down? only time will tell

EDDIE
24-Jan-06, 20:25
Well i do all my shopping in asda down here and they are cheap and have good range of products

_Ju_
24-Jan-06, 20:34
I live in Wick and I'm really glad there is going to be an ASDA.Tesco is already too much of a monopoly. Monopolies are good for no one. If there is competition between them, even better for all of us!

brandy
24-Jan-06, 20:54
well chuffed there will be a asda in thurso!helps the whole community!
no problems here driving to thurso to shop in asda!!
im so glad that we are getting bigger shops up north.. and that it will be
opening up work and jobs for people!

Rheghead
24-Jan-06, 21:08
im so glad that we are getting bigger shops up north.. and that it will be

I share your optimism up to a point but the nagging thing that is swirling round is when will one of them pull stumps and sell out to Mace, Netto or even the thinking man's cheapo shop....Aldi!!:Razz

I can't see another big store coming.....hold on! Did I hear another rumour about Debenhams?:eyes :p

thickrodney
24-Jan-06, 21:46
and that it will be

my 7 year old might get a job in satan's five and dime........

A quote from the weblink below:
Could it be that consistent violations of child labor laws are just seen as a "cost of doing business" by Wal-Mart? A practice that yields far higher benefit than the paltry fines leveled on them when they are "caught"?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/2/13/111525/263

concerned resident
24-Jan-06, 21:54
I expect the local traders association will be objecting, as will all the petrol stations in Thurso, as they do not like competition, and prefer to keep prices high, and shutting for lunch. .
As I have found over the years, if you ask for something which is not on the shelf in Wick, they will go out the back and look to see if there is one there, or when one will come in. In Thurso, you will be told if its not on the shelf, we have not got any, and the assistant will walk off. I wish Asda all the best, as the only other competitive store is Lidl’s.

Biker
24-Jan-06, 21:59
Well I've had one of these notes put through my door and it is not from Asda but from someone trying to drum up support to block it!

Citing not in the 5 year plan, why use viable farm land when there is industrial sites available, traffic congestion, damage to local shops! Seems that nearly everyone wants it but as usual the powerful minority will put a stop to it.

I'm still not sure whether it is genuine or just a wind up? Seems a bit odd for Asda to venture this far North so far from there next nearest store! That said I hope it is true and it does happen. The only businesses it would be bad for are the overpriced Coop and Somerfield and the aleged petrol cartell!

nicnak
24-Jan-06, 22:09
I think an asda will be brill and as for the smaller shops closing down, if the council did more to encourage small businesses there wouldnt be a problem, have you ever looked at the cost of renting and most importantly the cost of business rates in the towns of wick and thurso they are ridiculously high. I will not be in the least bit surprised if the only shops left in the town centres are charity shops cos they dont have to pay rates! So in a lot of ways the council should sit up and take some notice and do something and perhaps try to encourage new and existing businesses by reducing rates in the towns, this will keep everyone happy.

girnigoe
24-Jan-06, 22:23
I am delighted also to hear that Asda are considering Thurso. What im concerned about is that when Tescos hear about it will they consider withdrawing their application for a store in Wick??

Does anyone know anything more about what is happening regarding Wick Tescos as it seems to have gone very quiet at the moment??

If I had to choose between the two I would rather have Tescos!!

Stargazer
24-Jan-06, 22:31
Always prefered Asda. They tend to be a bit cheaper than Tesco and thier own prepared food better. Their curries and shop made pizzas are the best.

stekar
24-Jan-06, 22:40
It would be great if ASDA came to Thurso, might give all the little local shops a wake-up call.

teritoots
24-Jan-06, 22:40
It's great news really hope asda come to thurso it'll cause a stir but hey maybe the towns shops will maybe try getting competive and maybe even stay open between 1 & 2 oh hey even stay open on a thurs avo...
I also hope tesco come to wick as we'll all have good shopping then and they will compete and keep prices low.

JAWS
24-Jan-06, 22:43
Last I seem to remember seeing about Tesco was that the Planning Department in Inverness were very concerned that it might cause horrific traffic jams and bring the whole of Caithness to a grinding halt.
I don't seem to have heard anything since then. Has anybody else?
It would be interesting to know just where the hold-ups are.
I can't see it lying with Tesco because I would imagine they would want to get it up and running as soon as possible.
One thing is certain, somebody is dragging their feet somewhere for it to stall as long as it has.
Tesco definitely wanted to come and most people seem to want them but somebody somewhere seems to be trying to block it.

Bobinovich
24-Jan-06, 22:46
.....I will not be in the least bit surprised if the only shops left in the town centres are charity shops cos they dont have to pay rates!

Am I the only one who thinks that the Cancer Reasearch shop in Thurso has turned more into retail than a Charity outlet, and should correspondingly be charged normal rates?

If you look at what they sell a lot of it is now brand new goods - and not even Cancer Research branded - which is surely in direct competition with other retail outlets in the town.

And how about HomeAid? Now don't get me wrong I think their ReUse policy is superb, and a lot of unwanted household items have been shifted from landfill to other owners. However that premises on Princes Street used to be, and could again have been, a superb retail building. I know a number of businesses who were interested in it, but between the renovation costs and rates it was priced out of the market. So along come HomeAid with grants here and there (and Charity rates of course) and do the joint up just to sell what amounts to a load of rubbish.

Surely there should be a level playing field for all, and should there not be a cap on how many charity shops are allowed to set up in prime locations per X retail premises.

daviddd
24-Jan-06, 23:23
Am I the only one who thinks that the Cancer Reasearch shop in Thurso has turned more into retail than a Charity outlet, and should correspondingly be charged normal rates?

If you look at what they sell a lot of it is now brand new goods - and not even Cancer Research branded - which is surely in direct competition with other retail outlets in the town.

And how about HomeAid? Now don't get me wrong I think their ReUse policy is superb, and a lot of unwanted household items have been shifted from landfill to other owners. However that premises on Princes Street used to be, and could again have been, a superb retail building. I know a number of businesses who were interested in it, but between the renovation costs and rates it was priced out of the market. So along come HomeAid with grants here and there (and Charity rates of course) and do the joint up just to sell what amounts to a load of rubbish.

Surely there should be a level playing field for all, and should there not be a cap on how many charity shops are allowed to set up in prime locations per X retail premises.I can't see how it matters as long as they're raisng funds for charity? And if no-one wants that 'superb retail building' on Princes Street, occupancy by Homeaid is definitiely better than yet another derelect bulding lowering the tone of Thurso? And any local company can get grants from the enterprise co. and elsewhere for business purposes.

Andrew
24-Jan-06, 23:30
aye lets hope all these developments give our pathetic caithness shops what they need - one huge kick in the - - - - - - - - -

Am i the only one who goes into shops in thurso / wick, asks for something and gets told we dinna hev that but i can order it in if yee want??? Would I ask for it if i didnt need it.

LETS HOPE SOME OF THE SHOP OWNERS WHO HAD RESERVATIONS ON THE ARK GET A GRIP AND WAKEN UP TO THE MODERN WAY OF LIFE. i.e. closing for lunch hours from 12 - 3 and shutting at 5pm.

bring on all the big names

Phoebus_Apollo
25-Jan-06, 01:04
deja vu?

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=5208&page=1&pp=20

Fran
25-Jan-06, 01:29
i am thrilled that asda is going to thurso, the nearest one is at Elgin. I hope this doesn.t stop Tesco coming to wick. I feel sorry for the residents who will no longer have their sea view when Asda is built.
I see the buildersare working late at night at homebase, Argos, superdrug etc etc site, it will soon be open.

JimH
25-Jan-06, 10:38
This can only be good news for Thurso, and Caithness.

wicker
25-Jan-06, 10:51
Is there enough money in caithness though to sustain all of these new shops, the shops up here are already struggling as it is without these major chains coming up here. Dont get me wrong im happy by it but i just hope there is enough custom/money to keep it going.

Saveman
25-Jan-06, 10:52
Confirmed on the front page of the paper e day! Unleaded was 87.9p per litre in Asda, Elgin yesterday.

greeneyes
25-Jan-06, 11:01
By the time even asda are looking for planning permission for up here somebody in ''the know'' know alot of things joe public don't concerning what the plans are for caithness?,be it oil,dounreay whatever, a boom of some kind must surely be on its way???.If asda goes ahead(fingers crossed it will) i wonder what other major shops will be its on way,hopefully some kids clothes outlets as the the choice for older kids is c**p and over priced.Wouldn't mind a matalans or primark.
As was said before hopefully this will make the shop owners sit up and take notice.

concerned resident
25-Jan-06, 11:06
I just hope that our councillors do not come out with there old favourite of, we would be in favour of a new super market, if it was located in the town centre. I just hope the penny has dropped and they now realize, that there is no room in the town centre. These are the people we voted in, and have the power to cancel ASDA’s plans. A new ASDA would be a positive gain for the community of Thurso. And finally put an end to the alleged petrol cartel.

hails4
25-Jan-06, 13:09
as now a wicker i am truley glad both sides of the county are getting these stores, this is the way forward and now even saves the thurso folk fae coming through fae their tae wick to dae their shopping, now with asda's tesco's argos etc, we now have the power of choice making it a buyers market up here not a sellers, this gives us, the average joe, to decide what and where we buy it, we now get the best prices like the city folk do but i think we'll always have as you'v all been sayin a powerful minority who spoils it for us lot

crashbandicoot1979
25-Jan-06, 15:26
Am I the only person that thinks all these shops are a bad idea? Yes there are some positive points:
- lower petrol prices (hopefully)
- cheap goods
- employment
- wider choice of goods

And the rest, that I'm sure you're all aware of. But...
- when we shop locally the money stays local. When we shop in supermarkets, we're only lining their pockets and not helping the local economy
- part of the charm of places like Thurso/Wick is the small shops and the lack of supermarket giants. The council should be helping boost local businesses so that they can lower their prices and give the customers a wider choice (as well as money to send send the staff on customer care courses????) The supermarkets will not encourage healthy competition - they will swallow the small businesses in one gulp and personally I think that's a shame

Saying that, I do agree that there's something brewing that we don't know about. Hundreds of new houses in Thurso??? Big supermarkets????

wicker
25-Jan-06, 16:03
yeah i agree also with you there.

And if you think with asda and seemingly tesco will come cheaper petrol prices then you are deluded. The prices will remain around the same as what we currently have maybe with a 0.01p difference or something but it wont be major.

Saveman
25-Jan-06, 16:32

And if you think with asda and seemingly tesco will come cheaper petrol prices then you are deluded. The prices will remain around the same as what we currently have maybe with a 0.01p difference or something but it wont be major.

"Every Little Helps" :)

JAWS
25-Jan-06, 16:35

Are we to assume then that pressure is being put on them to either comply with local petrol prices or have their applications turned down?
I would rather think that rigging prices in that way would prove to be illegal.

Or can somebody suggest another reason that Caithness should be singled out for 'special treatment, by them?

Sporran
25-Jan-06, 16:48
Like Fran, I feel sorry for residents who will no longer have their sea view when ASDA is built. In fact, that was my first thought when I read about the proposed building site today! I also feel sorry for the local businesses that will suffer as a result. The small shops in Thurso and Wick have always been part of each town's charm.

rainbow
25-Jan-06, 17:11
I believe it is only outline planning permission that Asda has applied for, which differs from full planning permission. These things take time, trust me theer is no rush in the planning department of the council, and depending on the planning meeting approval or refusal could go either way.

crashbandicoot1979
25-Jan-06, 17:12
Are we to assume then that pressure is being put on them to either comply with local petrol prices or have their applications turned down?
I would rather think that rigging prices in that way would prove to be illegal.

Or can somebody suggest another reason that Caithness should be singled out for 'special treatment, by them?

They'll no doubt use the same arguement as the local petrol retailers use - that it costs more to transport the fuel up here (apparently...)

JAWS
25-Jan-06, 17:35
They'll no doubt use the same arguement as the local petrol retailers use - that it costs more to transport the fuel up here (apparently...)
I know all the excuses, I've heard them many times. So why isn't the gas for my heating any higher in price than elsewhere?
It seems to arrive in tankers like any other such substances.
The only explanation I can think of is that their vehicles run of fresh air and their drivers and mechanics refuse their wages just for the benefit of my pocket. Perhaps I should leave them a bigger tip at Christmas in appreciation of their kindness.

The last time I checked, places like Truro in Cornwall were just as remote as Caithness and they have prices similar to elsewhere in Britain.

What does the average tanker hold nowadays, 60,000 litres? Work out how much that costs at two or three pence a litre and see if the amount seems right just to cover the additional expense of transport from Inverness.
You might find the answer interesting.

COACHMAN
25-Jan-06, 17:36
ASDA HAVE A NATIONAL POLICY ON PETROL PRICES .
THE PRICE CHARGED IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND WOULD BE THE SAME PRICE CHARGED IN THURSO.:lol:

Saveman
25-Jan-06, 17:41
ASDA HAVE A NATIONAL POLICY ON PETROL PRICES .
THE PRICE CHARGED IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND WOULD BE THE SAME PRICE CHARGED IN THURSO.:lol:

Well that's good news, is it absolutely true?

Your very first post to this message board will be appreciated by many Coachman.....if its true :)

donss
25-Jan-06, 20:07
Am I the only person that thinks all these shops are a bad idea? Yes there are some positive points:
- lower petrol prices (hopefully)
- cheap goods
- employment
- wider choice of goods

And the rest, that I'm sure you're all aware of. But...
- when we shop locally the money stays local. When we shop in supermarkets, we're only lining their pockets and not helping the local economy
- part of the charm of places like Thurso/Wick is the small shops and the lack of supermarket giants. The council should be helping boost local businesses so that they can lower their prices and give the customers a wider choice (as well as money to send send the staff on customer care courses????) The supermarkets will not encourage healthy competition - they will swallow the small businesses in one gulp and personally I think that's a shame

Saying that, I do agree that there's something brewing that we don't know about. Hundreds of new houses in Thurso??? Big supermarkets????

OK: This on the surface always seems to make sense, but consider:

1/ [/QUOTE] - when we shop locally the money stays local. When we shop in supermarkets, we're only lining their pockets and not helping the local economy[/QUOTE]

When we shop locally the money stays locally in the employees pocket who then usually spend some locally and some (mainly) in Inverness at 'The Usual Suspects': The profit stays with the Shop owner who does likewise.......
When we shop in supermarkets (South), all the money stays South..... Get It???
Spending money in 'The Usual Suspects' in Caithness, when they arrive, will be the best of both worlds don't you agree?

2/ [/QUOTE] - part of the charm of places like Thurso/Wick is the small shops and the lack of supermarket giants.....[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think that the 'good' local shops that have a healthy trade now, and who know how to treat their customers, and who have built up a relationship with loyal 'friends' will have much to worry about. Yes people will shop for certain things at the new supermarkets, but will always find a reason to go back regularly to their old haunts for a natter and to catch up. That won't change. They won't lose their customers or trade.

At the end of the day the county will have progressed, we will lose the shops that don't deserve to be around and the charm will remain, only without the shops that nobody really wants or uses now.

That's what I think anyway. New retailers? Bring them on!

larcc
25-Jan-06, 20:16
I think it is unfair if we don't get Asda because of the traders association objecting to it, which will probably happen. And then we won't get it! Why Can you not get a Shoppers association and ask what we would think. After all it is the Traders Association also wish for us locals to shop locally, so if we have adas and tescos we would not have to travel to Inverness etc. So if we had Asda and all the other brilliant shops we would shop locally.

And I think it should be the shoppers decision at the end of the day!!! It is our own money we are spending after all. And if we don't get the shops we should all boycot the local ones and shop in Inverness!!!!

And basically being a housewife and mother no matter what supermarkets are in the town people shop in them all for a different things..

We Will See
Keeping fingers crossed>

mostlyharmless
25-Jan-06, 20:32
Seems strange so much is happening in terms of retail outlets in the Thurso and Wick has someone just explained to major storeholders there is something beyond Inverness... or is there a building plan for new residents I'm unaware of?
I have heard unspecific rumours about various building firms buying up land near the ormlie estate ibn thurso and even more non specific rumors of building firms buying up property around Wick.and..... a major expansion of wick harbour related to new as yet undefined supplies of oil of our coast!
What alot of rumours.....

Househunter
25-Jan-06, 21:05
Would like to reply to Bobvanitch who doesn't think Cancer Research in Thurso should be classed as a charity shop.

Yes, some new goods are sold, as in most charity shops nowadays, but donated goods make up the majority of stock as always. Of course it is retail, it's a shop. Just because it doesn't look, or smell, like a charity shop is only testament to the Manageress and her staff who pride themselves on the customer seeing little difference if possible to any other shop.

As a charity, it is about raising money, however that is done. You will find that Cancer Research is one of the charities with the highest percentage of profit/donations spent on research.

wi46
25-Jan-06, 21:22
I am tired of hearing about this new thing that is coming to Caithness which is prompting all the stores applying for planning permission? there is no such big thing coming to Caithness and if there was we would all know about it as you cannot keep anything quiet up here.
Oil, Dounreay, prison, wind farms all rubbish, also Tesco cannot get MOD permission so thats another white elephant. Read between the lines folks, talk is soooo cheap

Stargazer
25-Jan-06, 21:28
Good grief wi46. With summer still 5 months away we have to talk about something to keep us going.:lol:

Moonboots
25-Jan-06, 21:45
I think its great Asda, Tesco etc etc coming up to Caithness.

Like what has been said in previous posts. Its about time the Council let retail outlets like them come into the county and the council start to help local traders by supporting them with reduced rates or help from Case.
Sorry did i say help from Case!!!! Thats a laugh they would rather blow the money on some scheme which gets put into administration..lol

Let Them Come To Caithness With Open Arms

JAWS
25-Jan-06, 22:04
I'm still puzzled why Tesco were refused planning permission on the Lidl site in Wick a few years ago.
I remember a lot of hot air about congestion, parking for the Cemetery, out of town shopping, (It was 20 feet outside the 30 limit) and various other supposed problems.

There is now a large and growing Retail Site at the same location and all the alleged 'problems' seem to have vanished into thin air.
Does anybody know what has changed in the meantime?
What was it that Tesco wanted to do that the other stores aren't doing?

Isn't it also time that there was an acceptance of the fact that shops are there to provide for the needs of the public and not that the public are a just set of captive customers for the benefit of the businesses.

Baconbuttie
25-Jan-06, 23:50
Has anyone considered that Asda and Tesco could help the local shops by attracting customers who don't normally shop in our towns. For instance I bet a lot of Orcadians may actually stop in Caithness to do their shopping instead of the long trek to Inverness. As well as keeping locals who would normally go down to Inverness for their shopping.

I will be delighted if ASDA comes to Thurso as I won't have to travel to Tesco in Wick for my petrol.

Loafer
26-Jan-06, 22:15
I have just come from Sommerfields in Thurso and I am disgusted (yet again) with the way in which I, the customer, have been treated by the staff there. When going to the till I noticed that it was the "girnin' faced lassie" that I usually stay well clear of, but as I only had a few items, I thought I would go for it. I got to the till and even made a wee bit of chat, saying how it was quiet and how she is probably happy that way. Nah, didna work. Still the face like a bulldog chewin' a wasp, chucked my stuff down the counter, turned round "10.27" she said. NO PLEASE, NOTHING!!! I handed her £20 and she fired back 9 pound coins and the loose change, some of it falling on the counter. She made no effort to pick it up and went to serve the next customer. There was no "Thank you" either.

This is not the first and I'm damn sure not the last time this has happened in Sommerfields and indeed other shops in Thurso. I have shopped, as I'm sure many others have, in Tesco and asda. They PRIDE themselves on customer service. That brings me to a simple comment to Asda and Tesco: -

LET'S BE HAVING YOU, WE ARE DESPARATE FOR YOU!!!!!!!

And let's see Sommerfield and the Co-op go right down the toilet where they rightfully belong!

The Loafer

connieb19
26-Jan-06, 22:22
I did my shopping in Somerfield in Thurso the other day.. I never thought I would say it, but I'm now glad to get back to the one in Wick..
I too couldn't believe the girnin face on the one in Thurso, I wonder if it was the same lassie?
I'll stick to the one in Wick even though they don't have half the amount of stuff Thurso, but then again I don't know the fresh orange i bought in Wick was 3 days out of date!!:confused:

macscotland
26-Jan-06, 22:34
Well if i'm no sick o hearing the b*t**ing goin on between Wick & thurso about who is getting what...it is as childish as you can get.
Some are highlighting the more interesting things that are to come of this. YES it is good for BOTH towns that they are going to be getting a better chioce and better savings from these stores and YES it is a wake up call for the local traders.

1. We need more choice as the shops in Caithness are very limited in what they stock or can supply. (Bad thing for business, refering someone to another shop because you do not stock an item...bet you've heard that before....take notes and act on them I say).

2. We are being over charged in most shops and one or two are guilty of selling factory 2nds as 1sts which IS WRONG.

3. The traders up here complain about trade being slow as people go to shop in Inverness etc, but some will still insist on opening at 9:30 or 10:00 pm on Saturdays, closed Sundays, closed for lunch, half day Wednesday, sign up saying back in 5 Minutes etc etc.

4. Traders and their friends/genral public are all very concerned that these big stores will put them out of business, well the facts (as I see them) are that if your usual customers that have enjoyed your service and products are so concerned that you should continue being able to trade on as normal should just continue on as normal and thats it basically. Keep shopping at your store and let others make thier choice.

Everywhere (not just Wick and Thurso) seem to be afraid of these big stores putting small shops out of business but everyone keeps forgeting about the big bad internet and it's endless list of shops etc etc, thats where the shoppers are going and everyone is to blind to see it. I may be wrong but think about it, how much do you shop online now compaired to 2/3 years ago.

Further to all of the above, people also complain that the money spent in the these stores goes south but again you are not thinking about the money that you have saved by going to these shops..where is it?.... YES thats right still in your pocket in your town waiting to be spent at the corner shop on a packed of fags and a paper etc.

Times are moving on and we need to move with them as we are already seen as living in the dark ages here in Caithness. You've maybe seen website downing our towns as being ghost towns and drab, people just standing around etc, well we need to make the jump some time so it may as well be now and see what comes of it.

Loafer
26-Jan-06, 22:41
Macscotland

I'm not sure who you are getting at, but I certainly never said anything about "we are getting a better shop than you", that is the old "my dad's bigger than you're dad" mentallity.

I have often said, on posts many years ago, that this Thurso/Wick "divide" is a lot of nonsense. I am Thurso born and bred, but when I played snooker, the most hospitable place by far was the Backer, followed closely by the Seaforths.

Dinna ken where you got the gripe from, but 99.99% of any Wick/Thurso crack is purely banter and I'm sure everyone else would tend to agree!!

The Loafer

macscotland
26-Jan-06, 22:46
No offence to yourself as I was speaking in genral as there seem to bepostings by Thurso/Wick folk all the time trying to out do each other and if I were to be honest I may have been guilty of this mysel at one time but sick of it now. WE ARE CAITHNESIANS and thats it. lol

cullbucket
26-Jan-06, 22:47
Well Macscotland - that has to be a record almost 3 years without a post and then you let loose with all that at once... hope now you've broken the seal you keep up with the ranting!!!!

macscotland
26-Jan-06, 22:49
Well thats a lie but did forget that I had signed up with a user name until I came across it in a note pad.

Loafer
26-Jan-06, 22:51
Well Macscotland - that has to be a record almost 3 years without a post and then you let loose with all that at once... hope now you've broken the seal you keep up with the ranting!!!!

Well said Cullbucket!! Go for it Macscotland!!

I know what you mean about the Wick/Thurso thing, but it is all mean't tongue in cheek. I think. Maybe. Usually. Surely??

The Loafer

cullbucket
26-Jan-06, 22:53
Ach well I dont think anyone takes the thurso / wick thing seriously - i love the crack as do most of the folk I know from the far east. Caithness would be a sad place without a bit of banter....

JAWS
26-Jan-06, 22:56
No offence to yourself as I was speaking in genral as there seem to bepostings by Thurso/Wick folk all the time trying to out do each other and if I were to be honest I may have been guilty of this mysel at one time but sick of it now. WE ARE CAITHNESIANS and thats it. lol
Aye, but are you a Wick Caithnessian or a Thurso Caithnessian? :confused:

macscotland
26-Jan-06, 23:02
That's atricky one......Mmm....Yes

JAWS
27-Jan-06, 00:42
Sorry, macscotland, I couldn't resist that one. :grin:

I'm with you on the Caithness point, the whole County seems to be going through a bad patch.
Hopefully the interest being shown by some of the big National Stores is a sign of better things to come.
Hopefully the economy of the whole County will start to pick up and do so without changing the place out of all recognition.

mickey101
27-Jan-06, 01:11
Hi
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade here but if you dont think the selfish minority ( who are hell bent of milking the last drop out of the residents of this county) arent pulling every string they can to block Asda application then you have another think coming.

Just like Tescos in Wick being stalled by a supposed possible congestion problems ( oh yes I believe that one, perhaps if every sheep in the county went shopping at once it might get a little backed up) they will find some suitably pompous and ridiculous reason for not allowing Asda in. Eg the development plans says that any new retailer has to be in the town centre. Okay you would have to level the entire town centre to fit a 31,000 square meter store.

I put Asda's chances at getting planning permission at less that 1 in 5.

If Asda do get in it would go a long way to keeping Tesco honest. Tesco are very good at geographical pricing. Asda would give them real competition,

M

Ann
27-Jan-06, 11:09
Ahem....excuse me but does no-one, who objects to the "big yins", shop at Mackays, Co-op, Somerfields, Boots etc.? Or drink/eat at Wetherspoons, Royal or Norseman?

Surely it is up to the individual as to where he shops/ spends his leisure time and aren't we all glad to have a choice of venues?

Personally I like the local shops who know you when you visit, let you off with paying the next day if you have forgotten your cash, who are honest about if a thing suits you or not and give you their time for a good blether!

The ones who provide a good service, who are open to change and who are willling to go that extra mile to get you something you really want, will survive.

And I am glad to say there are quite a lot of the aforementioned in Caithness.

Ann

mickey101
27-Jan-06, 18:35
Hi
The way I see it Asda will have very little inpact on most of the shops in Thurso.
The people who buy £5 pound Asda jeans are not the same person who will buy designer jeans from MacAllans. Similiarly Asda doesn't have an Ironmonger or a Wallpaper shop. People who appreciate good butcher meat will continue to shop at their local Butcher etc. TV videos etc the same. I am happy to pay a little extra so I can get it fixed locally and generally all these shops bend over backwards to give you good service.
The people who will be hit will be the local supermarkets and the local petrol retailers.
Somerfield operate a pricing policy. Goods are far cheaper in Inverness than up here. The quality and selection are variable. So if Asda gives them a wake up call all well and good
Same goes for the Coop. The Petrol Retailers, Well they proclaim they are just as big a victim of petrol pricing as we are. They still havent cottoned on to the fact that NOBODY believes them and we arent that dumb.

I read with amusement at a local petrol retailer's comments in today's local rag about garages going to the wall if Asda set up shop, for some reason I didnt shed one tear. ( I wonder why)

Roll on Asda I hope the local council has the guts to let them in, if not maybe it is a time for a change to people who do what they were elected, which is to represent the interests of the majority. If you are in any doubt as to the wishes of the majority take a look at the poll on this Forum.

M

Ps Dr Smith MSP of the Green Party, BUTT OUT!!!! WE DIDN'T ELECT YOU AND IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I wonder where you do your shopping?

Stargazer
27-Jan-06, 18:52
Well said mickey101. If the local shops try to sell the same goods as the big boys they will loose. Tesco and Asda are good at selling cheap and cheerful but if you want up market stuff you have to specialise.

Here's is a little ditty that makes the point...

If a man can write a better book, preach a better sermon, or make a better mousetrap than his neighbour, though he builds his house in the woods the world will make a beaten path to his door.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)