PDA

View Full Version : Change To Private Message Notification E-mails

Niall Fernie
15-Nov-08, 10:36
The old PM notification system sent users an e-mail detailing the new private message they had received. This e-mail stated the username of the person that sent the message, the title of the message and contained the message content also.

This system seemed to confuse many users as rather than log in to the forum and reply to the PM there, they would simply reply to the notification e-mail. This resulted in hundreds of replys landing in my mailbox as my address is used as the admin address in case of any problem.

To try and prevent this I added a warning message "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL" etc etc at the top of the notification. This warning seemed to cause some kind of word blindness and was ignored by many people who continued to reply to the notification (and sent their replies to me).

Therefore I have had to remove the original message from the notification e-mail forcing everyone to log in to the forum in order to read their private messages. I know this will cause a little inconvience to those who do not need to reply to every message that they receive (as they will now have to log into the site to read messages) but it will mean that all the replies that came to me, instead of the person they were intended for will now reach the correct destination as they will all have to go through the forum's PM system.