PDA

View Full Version : useless information

Tugmistress
24-Jan-06, 11:36
Today in 1890 the first train crossed the Forth bridge which links Fife to Edinburgh. Sir Thomas Bouch was originally intended to design the structure - however, after one of his previous designs, the Tay bridge, collapsed in a storm, William Arrol was assigned to the project. During its construction 55,000 tons of steel, 640,000 cubic feet of Aberdeen granite, 8 million rivets and 145 acres of paint were used.

taken from the 'scotsman'.

Whitewater
24-Jan-06, 11:50
Wow !!! I didn't know that. I will store it for use in a quiz, Thank you.

Saveman
24-Jan-06, 12:18
On this day in history:

1899 - Humphrey O’Sullivan patented the rubber heel.

You'll never find use for that piece of information. ;)

paris
24-Jan-06, 13:44
1964....The song.. we love the beatles by the carefrees was in the charts while The Beatles had 7 songs of their own in the top 40 .

jay
24-Jan-06, 16:57
the word trivia was derived from the roman/latin tri via meaning three roads - a notice board was posted at the junction wherever three roads met and the news/gossips was posted on them

Saveman
24-Jan-06, 19:07
the word trivia was derived from the roman/latin tri via meaning three roads - a notice board was posted at the junction wherever three roads met and the news/gossips was posted on them

Did you make that up?

Thats really interesting.....this thread has descended from "Useless Information" to "information that is quite interesting and may impress your friends at partys."

jay
24-Jan-06, 20:24
nope I did not make that up - read it in a book many years ago and thought it was great - you're right it does impress if you're doing quizzes at parties etc

landmarker
24-Jan-06, 22:04
Didn't the Prince of Wales turn up to punch home the final rivet? Typical.

I think about fifty men were killed in the construction. Last October, on the way up to Caithness we stayed overnight in North Queensferry because I wanted to get close to the rail bridge. It a Scottish icon of world class proportions. An inspiring sight. It's said they built the road bridge just to give folk a better view of the rail bridge. I never tire of looking at it. I'm chasing a copy of the old '39 Steps' movie from the 1930's simply because of the scenes on the bridge.

Uselsss info? Never!