PDA

View Full Version : Delicate stomach.

cuddlepop
13-Nov-08, 21:19
Trying to save a trip to the vets so will ask my fellow pet orgers to help.

Scorrie is a Beardie/border cross who is 8 months old and appears to have a delicate stomach.
He's just been sick twice tonight and is now mooching for more food would you give him some dry biscuits?
If he's not being sick then he's got the runs.
Tonight he had left over pasta,gravy,pot roast bits and a regular dog food tin.He didnt gulp it all at once,thats not the problem,indeed its been two hours since his dinner.
Apparently beardie crosses can have delicate digestion.:confused
If I could post some pictures you'd see he's anything but delicate:lol:,so what do you think the problem is.
All my other dogs could and would heat anything.:confused

teenybash
13-Nov-08, 23:45
Cuddlepop, you maybe would be better to put him onto Chappie original for a few days. It is easily digested and is very good when there is a bit of digestive upset....also Chappie is used in the veterinary hospital in Glasgow for doggys that come in with recurring scoots and/or sickness so, it is vet recommended. It won't do him any harm to try it and may well do the trick............:)

Liz
13-Nov-08, 23:47
Benjy has a delicate tum as well (Shelties are prone to this)and, although he would eat anything, I had to try a few different foods before I found one which suited him and that is Naturediet Lite.
So he now only gets this along with carrot and tripe sticks for a treat.
If he gets food which don't agree with him then, like Scorrie, he will be sick or have dire rear.:confused

It may be that you will need to experiment a wee bit with Scorrie's food as well but maybe stay away from the pasta for now as wheat could be a problem and the pot roast may be a wee bit heavy for a delicate tum?

Also you may find it best to split his meals to about three times a day so he doesn't have too much to digest at any one time.

I give Benjy his food in Kongs so he cannot gulp it down and he really enjoys taking it this way.

You could try putting a drop of Aloe Vera juice in his drinking water as this is really good for tums. Probiotics may help as well as they have really helped Benjy.

Doesn't sound like Scorrie is ill so don't think you would need to go the the Vets but only you will know if this is necessary.

Liz
13-Nov-08, 23:49
PS If it's not too much of a hassle it would be good to give him chicken and rice for a few days to settle his tum and then maybe try something like Chappies as this is a food that seems to be well tolerated by dogs with dicky tums.

Good luck!

Liz
13-Nov-08, 23:50
Cuddlepop, you maybe would be better to put him onto Chappie original for a few days. It is easily digested and is very good when there is a bit of digestive upset....also Chappie is used in the veterinary hospital in Glasgow for doggys that come in with recurring scoots and/or sickness so, it is vet recommended. It won't do him any harm to try it and may well do the trick............:)

Oh you got there before me!lol Good advice as always Teenybash!:D

cuddlepop
14-Nov-08, 11:17
Thank you both for your input.

Believe it or not I cant buy chappie in Portree so will get my brother to bring some over tomorrow from Inverness...if he can find some.:roll:

Scorrie's none the worse for his dodgy tum,he's still a nutter with a wet nose.:lol:

binbob
14-Nov-08, 11:18

i totally agree with this..chappie is great food for sensitive tummies.
give it a try...failing that it will be trip to vets.he might need to have one of the expensive scientific diets.hope he will be ok.

binbob
14-Nov-08, 11:20
Trying to save a trip to the vets so will ask my fellow pet orgers to help.

Scorrie is a Beardie/border cross who is 8 months old and appears to have a delicate stomach.
He's just been sick twice tonight and is now mooching for more food would you give him some dry biscuits?
If he's not being sick then he's got the runs.
Tonight he had left over pasta,gravy,pot roast bits and a regular dog food tin.He didnt gulp it all at once,thats not the problem,indeed its been two hours since his dinner.
Apparently beardie crosses can have delicate digestion.:confused
If I could post some pictures you'd see he's anything but delicate:lol:,so what do you think the problem is.
All my other dogs could and would heat anything.:confused

nature diet do a sensitive food too...

Blondie
14-Nov-08, 20:02
I give Benjy his food in Kongs so he cannot gulp it down and he really enjoys taking it this way.

Whats a kong?

Liz
14-Nov-08, 23:27
Here you go Blondie:D http://www.kongcompany.com/

cuddlepop
19-Nov-08, 12:30
Found some Chapie and removed pasta from his diet.

Fingers crossed we're on the road to recovery,two days now and he's been fine.:D

Nettie
19-Nov-08, 13:10
Have you tried Scorrie on dry food?
I used to get problems with some of my Labs - upset stomachs, skin problems etc and I put it down to a diet that was too rich. There a number of "top" dog foods that are both very expensive and much too rich for most dogs who just do not need such a high protein diet.
All my dogs, not just the Labs, are now fed on Supa Greyhound Diet dry food which seems to suit them all and they don't need that much of it either to keep them in tip top condition .... my big Lab only has a mugful twice a day! Just a suggestion if you are able to get this food and it is only £10.99 for a really big bag.
Hope Scorrie continues to improve!

cuddlepop
19-Nov-08, 14:32
Have you tried Scorrie on dry food?
I used to get problems with some of my Labs - upset stomachs, skin problems etc and I put it down to a diet that was too rich. There a number of "top" dog foods that are both very expensive and much too rich for most dogs who just do not need such a high protein diet.
All my dogs, not just the Labs, are now fed on Supa Greyhound Diet dry food which seems to suit them all and they don't need that much of it either to keep them in tip top condition .... my big Lab only has a mugful twice a day! Just a suggestion if you are able to get this food and it is only £10.99 for a really big bag.
Hope Scorrie continues to improve!

Dry food tends to make him appear as if he's got ADHD ....think I'd rather the runs.:lol:

Liz
19-Nov-08, 14:45
Found some Chapie and removed pasta from his diet.

Fingers crossed we're on the road to recovery,two days now and he's been fine.:D

Glad you managed to get this and it is helping.:D