PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, when did you last powder your nose?

Errogie
13-Nov-08, 18:33
Recently watched an old movie where the heroine snatched an opportunity to powder her nose and realised that this is something which you rarely see anymore and seems to have all but vanished from the feminine repertoire of delaying tactics.

I have never really understood what the procedure was all about, the explanation from my mother which I never fully took on board was that it was not cool to be seen with a shiny nose. I would imagine that the Queen is someone who still applies powder to the royal beak but is this another practice like beauty spots and whalebone corsets which has failed to make it into the 21st. century?

wifie
13-Nov-08, 18:39
LOL! I do not powder my nose, in the literal sense, these days - make up has moved on!
I saw the queen at a county show in Orkney once and was amazed how much slap she appeared to be wearing so I would imagine she does indeed powder the royal beak!

starry
13-Nov-08, 18:45
I met the Queen as well wifie and thought exactly the same, and it was a wee bit orange too [disgust]

I use mineral make up which is just like a powder so my nose was powdered this morning ;)

Angela
13-Nov-08, 18:46
My mum always powdered her face with loose powder and a huge fluffy powder puff.:eek:

I've used pressed powder and a wee sponge on very rare special occasions, but my daughter's used translucent powder put on with a brush since she was about 12.

Nothing like the old style stuff at all! ;)

hotrod4
13-Nov-08, 18:50
I believe certain ladies powder their noses in certain bars in wick. [smirk]
As long as its not the colombian version they should be OK!![lol]

Sapphire2803
13-Nov-08, 19:01
Well as it's just a polite way of saying you're going for a pee... I'm not telling :lol:

Julia
13-Nov-08, 19:25
I thought that too Sapphire2803, when 'off to powder your nose' aren't you just saying politely that you are going to the loo?

Sporran
13-Nov-08, 19:40
Judging by the amount of face powders on the market these days, powdering one's nose is not a thing of the past, or just for old ladies. And if you watch those 'behind the scenes' programmes in the entertainment business, the makeup artists are going a mile a minute with their big fluffy powder brushes on the stars - young and old alike.

I don't always wear foundation, but I do find a light dusting of translucent powder helps eliminate any shine.

Anne x
13-Nov-08, 19:47
I dont powder my nose but I dust a drop of Blusher on cheekbones I mind my mum with Cream or Creme Puff Powder all I ever saw her use over a drop of Astral cream
The Queens make up is very thick and bright

brandy
13-Nov-08, 19:47
whrn i wear make-up i use a compact every time. would not feel complete without my powder

Angela
13-Nov-08, 19:49
It didn't think it was necessarily a euphemism for going to the loo -not something I'd say anyway....

You do get 'Ladies' Powder Rooms' in some hotels and other places, and it seems to mean the ante-room to the toilets, where you can fix your hair and make up and make any other running repairs you want to! ;)

But you could be both going to the loo and powdering your nose of course.

Sporran
13-Nov-08, 20:13
The other euphemism you sometimes hear (at least in movies and on TV) is "I'm just going to freshen up". A more modern take on "I'm just going to powder my nose".

sweetpea
13-Nov-08, 20:20
I don't really wear make up much but it's a phrase I would use at times for going to the loo.

Oddquine
13-Nov-08, 21:17
Never powdered my nose in my life....and by that I don't mean my legs are permanently crossed!

Anne x
14-Nov-08, 00:23
I just say Excuse me im going for a pee !!!
A ex American In Law relative asked me once in quite a famous place why do the Scots all announce they are going to the bathroom
I said Dont know we just do that
his answer Mmm cannot repeat
but we are a proud race his answer "why is that "smoke coming out of ears

Guess we have better toilets !!!![lol]

Sporran
14-Nov-08, 07:55
Over here in the US, public toilets are known as restrooms. I have to admit I found that a bit silly, when I first came to this country 30 years ago. I still do, if I'm to be perfectly honest, lol! But if I have to excuse myself from company to go to the toilet, I say I'm going to the ladies' room. Doesn't sound as daft as "I'm going to the restroom", in my opinion.

On the subject of the Queen powdering her nose, I'm willing to bet she carries a Stratton powder compact in her handbag, perhaps with the Royal coat of arms on it. When I was growing up, my mum had a a fancy, refillable metal Stratton powder compact, with a lovely enameled lid, and a mirror inside. They're probably not made anymore, but they were works of art, with the lids painted in various colours and designs.

Sapphire2803
14-Nov-08, 11:43
Oh they still make stratton compacts

http://www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/shop/ladies-accessories/compacts-from-stratton-powder-compacts-ladies-compacts

They are lovely, but I wouldn't bother. Not my sort of thing.
I do use powder when I apply the full polyfilla and cement, special occasion make up.

WeeBurd
14-Nov-08, 12:09
I can frequently be spotted on the roads of Caithness, powdering my nose as MrBurd drives [lol]. I always powder ma nose before I go out, or failing that in the car on my way out. Nowt old fashioned about it at all, my compact travels everywhere with me.

Tilter
14-Nov-08, 12:33
But you could be both going to the loo and powdering your nose of course.

Would that be like walking and chewing gum? If so, couldn't manage it - single-tasking a must. Compact bound to end up in loo.

Lavenderblue2
14-Nov-08, 12:43
There's nothing old fashioned about powdering ones nose at all.

What about the new mineral based powders - I have a pot of this by L'Oreal and it is very good indeed - a quick whisk over my face and a dash of blusher and I'm ready to go! :)

Angela
14-Nov-08, 12:51
Would that be like walking and chewing gum? If so, couldn't manage it - single-tasking a must. Compact bound to end up in loo.

lol Tilter I agree! I'm a single tasker too. ;)

What I find very odd is if I'm in a public loo and the woman in the adjoining cubicle answers her mobile phone and starts chatting away .... :eek: :roll:

Sapphire2803
14-Nov-08, 13:20
There's nothing old fashioned about powdering ones nose at all.

What about the new mineral based powders - I have a pot of this by L'Oreal and it is very good indeed - a quick whisk over my face and a dash of blusher and I'm ready to go! :)

I'm not sure that counts though. It's a powder foundation rather than just a powder.

But, thanks for the reminder :D I bought some of that the other day.

*Goes off to find it and try it out*

canuck
14-Nov-08, 20:16
I saw the queen at a county show in Orkney once and was amazed how much slap she appeared to be wearing so I would imagine she does indeed powder the royal beak!

I met the Queen as well wifie and thought exactly the same, and it was a wee bit orange too [disgust]

Sounds like stage make up. People under bright lights, on stage or in front of TV cameras, have to wear extra (or at least some) layers to keep them from looking totally washed out. Even at a low key reception the Queen (and other prominent personalities) has to look perfect for the odd camera shot.

Sporran
16-Nov-08, 23:39
On the subject of the Queen powdering her nose, I'm willing to bet she carries a Stratton powder compact in her handbag, perhaps with the Royal coat of arms on it. When I was growing up, my mum had a a fancy, refillable metal Stratton powder compact, with a lovely enameled lid, and a mirror inside. They're probably not made anymore, but they were works of art, with the lids painted in various colours and designs.

Oh they still make stratton compacts

http://www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/shop/ladies-accessories/compacts-from-stratton-powder-compacts-ladies-compacts

Thanks for that link, Sapphire. I'm delighted to see that Stratton compacts are still made today! :) I really like the "Her Majesty" edition. Maybe *that's* the one the Queen carries in her Royal handbag! ;)

northener
16-Nov-08, 23:56
I thought that too Sapphire2803, when 'off to powder your nose' aren't you just saying politely that you are going to the loo?

In these days of equality, you should stand up, cock one leg, fart...and then proclaim loudly that you are "off for a dump!":Razz

Sapphire2803
16-Nov-08, 23:58
In these days of equality, you should stand up, cock one leg, fart...and then proclaim loudly that you are "off for a dump!":Razz

How do you know that we don't? ;)

I can't believe I just said that... [para]

Venture
17-Nov-08, 00:02
How do you know that we don't? ;)

I can't believe I just said that... [para]

I can.[lol]

trix
17-Nov-08, 00:05
I believe certain ladies powder their noses in certain bars in wick. [smirk]
As long as its not the colombian version they should be OK!![lol]

powderin ones noes does hev a significantly different meanin now adays....

Moira
17-Nov-08, 00:44
I can frequently be spotted on the roads of Caithness, powdering my nose as MrBurd drives.... .
I do it on the roads of Caithness and beyond but never while driving. I always pull over and do it in a safe place. Does that make me a bad person?

There's nothing old fashioned about powdering ones nose at all.....

I agree wholeheartedly. Dab, dust, whatever. It's the end result which counts :)

What I find very odd is if I'm in a public loo and the woman in the adjoining cubicle answers her mobile phone and starts chatting away .....

OMG Angela - I apologise. I do it in Brora all the time and sometimes between Inverness & Edinburgh I'm obliged to answer the dastardly phone. Next time you're in the adjoining cubicle, give me a shout. I'll pay for the coffee :)

Angela
17-Nov-08, 08:55
OMG Angela - I apologise. I do it in Brora all the time and sometimes between Inverness & Edinburgh I'm obliged to answer the dastardly phone. Next time you're in the adjoining cubicle, give me a shout. I'll pay for the coffee

lol Moira, it doesn't annoy me -it's just that I can't manage that sort of multi-tasking myself :lol: even excavating the phone from the murky depths of my bag is a major project! and I feel as if I'm somehow intruding on the personal space of the wifie on the phone by hearing what she's saying :eek:

Next time it happens to you in Edinburgh, answer the phone with a loud 'Yes, it's Moira!' and be prepared to hear me banging on the side of the cubicle going "mine's a large cappucccino thanks!" :D

arana negra
17-Nov-08, 11:02
Last week Turkey, I seldom wear makeup here in Spain ( special occassions) as it melts !

I would use the phrase as a way of saying I was going to the ladies room.

I hate the saying 'going for a dump' so uncouth, what would my granny say :eek:

Oh and the thought of somebody using their mobile in the toilet makes me shiver sorry its a nono for me... touched door handle etc UGH

Sapphire2803
17-Nov-08, 11:05
lol Moira, it doesn't annoy me -it's just that I can't manage that sort of multi-tasking myself :lol: even excavating the phone from the murky depths of my bag is a major project! and I feel as if I'm somehow intruding on the personal space of the wifie on the phone by hearing what she's saying :eek:

Next time it happens to you in Edinburgh, answer the phone with a loud 'Yes, it's Moira!' and be prepared to hear me banging on the side of the cubicle going "mine's a large cappucccino thanks!"

Oh I can see this going terribly wrong.
Imagine the headlines, scores of harrassed Moira's in Edinburgh! :lol:

trix
17-Nov-08, 12:09
I hate the saying 'going for a dump' so uncouth, what would my granny say :eek:

better uncouth than on cloth!! :mad:

rockchick
17-Nov-08, 16:58
I don't wear much makeup, but Clinique makes this little powder compact which is perfect for covering my rosacea on my nose. So the answer is: 9am this morning!