PDA

View Full Version : My dogs severe flatulence!!

skinnydog
13-Nov-08, 09:44
Can anyone give me some advise please before I have to wear a gas mask?
The skinny dog has not changed his diet in anyway whatsoever but in the last 2-3 weeks he has started farting. Proper loud ones too. To say that they stink is an underestimate, he smells like a rotten turnip. He doesn't seem to mind, he just lies there basking in his aroma.

He doesn't have an upset stomach, I have wormed him and no difference.

Anyone got any advice? I have to take him to the vets next week for his booster jabs so I will mention it then too.
Thanks.

dragonfly
13-Nov-08, 10:00
well I can guarantee that its not down to him wearing his bandana!! otherwise I have no useful info to pass on to you, just clearing myself of all blame!! :roll: :lol:

binbob
13-Nov-08, 10:59
u could try charcoal bonios...hope he is ok.

dragonfly
13-Nov-08, 11:06
i'll be through in wick this afternoon, do you want me to pop into P@H and ask them for something??

Kevin Milkins
13-Nov-08, 12:44
They do say charcoal helps with this problem:confused
I find it really funny when they do a trump and spin around to look at there backside as if to say "was that me".lol:lol:
My late dad always used to give his dogs a small bit of chewing tabaco if they had any stomach upsets or worms ,he used to say "it cleans them out".

Liz
13-Nov-08, 14:46
Probiotics may help.

Benjy, my dog, is prone to bottom burps and I give him Feelwell Probiotic healthy dog treats. You can get them on Ebay.:D

muffin
13-Nov-08, 15:19
When my dog did this I was told by the vet that it was due to the food fermenting in his stomach and to give him the meat at a different time to biscuits or mixers.

binbob
13-Nov-08, 19:24
you could also give him live yogurt...mine love this.

teenybash
13-Nov-08, 20:03
Ahaa.............So you have a bum blaster!!!!!! Ooops, sorry but I find doggy farts just as funny as the human kind. Probably just need some charcoal as said by others and if he is happy and healthy in all other respects, colud be he just needs to blow off some steam.[lol]

cuddlepop
13-Nov-08, 20:26
Charcoal seams to be the answere in humans so I guess would work for dogs too.

Not sure whether the tablets you can buy in the chemist would work on the dog though.

Scorrie gets terrible hiccups maybe i should buy him gripe water.;)

Aaldtimer
13-Nov-08, 22:08
When my dog did this I was told by the vet that it was due to the food fermenting in his stomach and to give him the meat at a different time to biscuits or mixers.

For goodness sake don't give him any yeast tablets then!
He would end up with a froth on his wee-wees!:lol:

binbob
14-Nov-08, 11:23
when my basset was a puppy...she passed gas [as my canadian nephew would say] all the time ,no matter what we gave her...we called her TRUMPET TROUSERS for a lonng time.

as an adult dog she does not do this anymore.:lol:

Tilter
14-Nov-08, 12:39
Skinnydog, you could try getting a kangaroo next time instead of a dog. According to QI last week, they can't fart. (Oops - granddaughter has informed me that's a rude word and I am supposed to say pump.)

justine
14-Nov-08, 13:03
nowt worse than a smelly dog. I simpathise with you as we have a staffie and oh, it smells as though something died up there a long time ago and now its released..I would love to get some answers aswell on this as hes horrible.

gixer
14-Nov-08, 13:41
Have you tried a cork?:lol:

justine
14-Nov-08, 13:43
Have you tried a cork?:lol:

Yes but the build up was too much and he blew out the window[lol]