PDA

View Full Version : Prog rock

buddyrich
13-Nov-08, 01:52
Step right up and name your favourite self-indulgent bombasters.

Focus and Emerson Lake and Palmer do it for me.

I would say Rush as well but they pretty much left it behind after Hemispheres which is a classic along with Farewell To Kings.

Ooop, forgot about Twisted Sister, Warrant and Sea Hags.

Gizmo
13-Nov-08, 02:29

I would say Rush as well but they pretty much left it behind after Hemispheres which is a classic along with Farewell To Kings.

Twisted Sister, Warrant, Sea Hags?...prog-rock?...buddyrich...step back from the crack pipe fella :lol:

Metalattakk
13-Nov-08, 02:39

Gie's a bit of Pallas, Jethro Tull, and Kansas anytime. '2112' was the only decent album Rush ever did, and only half of that can be classed as Prog. ;)

I can throw in some Scraping Foetus Off The Wheels if you want, even if no-one else thinks they were Prog. :(

And Oi!! Don't diss the Sister! They weren't 'Glam' - they were 'Hid'!

Gizmo
13-Nov-08, 02:59
Gie's a bit of Pallas, Jethro Tull, and Kansas anytime. '2112' was the only decent album Rush ever did, and only half of that can be classed as Prog. ;)

I can throw in some Scraping Foetus Off The Wheels if you want, even if no-one else thinks they were Prog. :(

And Oi!! Don't diss the Sister! They weren't 'Glam' - they were 'Hid'!

I prefer my prog a bit more metalized...Zero Hour, dems d'boys...music for schizophrenics :lol:

As for Twisted Sister, back in the mid eighties before Metallica completely blew my mind Twisted Sister were my favourite band.

Jeid
13-Nov-08, 09:02
Dream Theater :)

futurelegends
14-Nov-08, 00:10
Pink Floyd, Yes, Marillion, Dream Theater.

Excellent Stuff.

Deemac
14-Nov-08, 01:03
Sorry, but Genesis "Wind & Wuthering" & "Seconds Out" do it for me.

Also notable mention must also go to: ELP "Brain Salad Surgery", Mike Oldfield's "Ommadawn" & Rush's "Permanent Waves."

futurelegends
14-Nov-08, 20:13
Sorry, but Genesis "Wind & Wuthering" & "Seconds Out" do it for me.

Also notable mention must also go to: ELP "Brain Salad Surgery", Mike Oldfield's "Ommadawn" & Rush's "Permanent Waves."

Oops! Did I forget to mention Genesis Too?

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway's 'Supernatural Anaesthetist' has been playing in my head for over a week now. I'm not complaining though but my battery is running low!

K dragon
17-Nov-08, 04:28
russian circles.

fender
17-Nov-08, 20:18
If you really like prog rock you WILL love this http://www.progarchives.com/

buddyrich
18-Nov-08, 15:45
Nice website. Between that and the Yes documentary being shown over and over on rock-on-tv i may never leave the sofa again.

marlyn
18-Nov-08, 16:59
porcupine tree are a good bet if you like prog rock.

Mystical Potato Head
28-Nov-08, 22:08
Top 10 fav prog rock bands.

Yes
Pink Floyd
Genesis(early years)
Marillion
Porcupine Tree
Rush
Uriah Heep
Mike Oldfield
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment

Geo
03-Dec-08, 01:49
Why on earth is The Alan Parsons Project not in there?!

Metalattakk
03-Dec-08, 02:50
Why on earth is The Alan Parsons Project not in there?!
Because no one's ever heard of them...oh wait, hang on....I have......

I'll have to fire up utorrent again now. ;)

Green_not_greed
04-Dec-08, 17:47
King Crimson

Focus

Yes

Pink Floyd

ELP

Camel

Jethro Tull

Genesis (with Gabriel)

Gong

Steve Hillage

And the most pompous and bombastic of all - Rick Wakeman...

My favourites are Crimson and Camel.....

GNG

fingalmacool
04-Dec-08, 18:49
But what ever your asking for, I'll through in Enya. And by the way does anyone know the lyrics of any of their songs.
I thank you,,,I used to be a procrastinator, but i will tell you about that later:confused

Metalattakk
04-Dec-08, 18:56
But what ever your asking for, I'll through in Enya. And by the way does anyone know the lyrics of any of their songs.
I thank you,,,I used to be a procrastinator, but i will tell you about that later:confused

Prog Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prog_rock)

Enya lyrics (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=enya+lyrics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

fingalmacool
04-Dec-08, 21:02
Prog Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prog_rock)

Enya lyrics (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=enya+lyrics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a)

WHOOSH:confused

Green_not_greed
05-Dec-08, 10:06
WHOOSH:confused

Whoosh? Were they the prog band that did the 9-hour rock opera about the angler fish living in the Marianas trench?