PDA

View Full Version : National Heros ?

Iffy
12-Nov-08, 18:55
Just watching a TV programme in which "Sir" Michael Parkinson is being interviewed, and although I have a lot of admiration for the man and have always thought him an extremely good host, why was he given such an award as "Sir"??

This applies to many, many celebrities, who have been knighted in some way or other, and for what ????????

I applaud their hard work and the fact that they have got themselves to such a position that is seen by the public to award them the same, BUT...

What about all those "inconsequential" people, the country over, who are overlooked, by Government (ESPECIALLY !!!!) and the "So Called" Social Work Department, or those who have devoted their life to helping others, be it within their family or even for a neighbour.

Bottom line is this - Fantastic to see our sports men/women giving a great name to our country through gold/silver/bronze medals or to have a Scottish celebrity awarded an accolade by the Queen - but where are all those "silent" heroes of our country ?????? - I honestly think that there are more "Lords" and "Ladies" out there than we could ever account for...

Don't just appreciate great comedy/chat shows or entertainment hosts, the world is made of people who more that deserve the title of "Sir" or "Dame" and I think they live in an area where the "press" and "government" don't live !!!

northener
12-Nov-08, 21:12
There's a hell of a lot of MBE's and OBE's that are given out to the very people you refer to, Iffy.

It's a sad indictment of our media and the great unwashed that they are more interested in hearing about TV and sport 'personalities' rather than the hard-working and mainly silent majority who pick up these awards.

The Government almost fall over themselves tryinmg to dish out Knighthoods to media types, this is true. With a few notable exceptions, most of these Knighthoods don't cut the mustard with me.

Knighthoods should only be given out to people who do one (or more)of the following:

Slay dragons

Rescue princesses

Crush other countries and force them to swear allegience to Britain.

Kill a mugger/rapist/child abuser, stand up in court and say "Yes I bloody well did kill them, what the hell has it got to do with you?"

Come the revolution.........

Whitewater
12-Nov-08, 22:59
There are many millions of unsung heros in the world. I think was of the most moving things in Barack Obamas acceptance speach was his reference to our every day heros whom we take for granted, they give their all for us and take nothing in return.

percy toboggan
13-Nov-08, 17:49
The honours system is an anachronism. Community bigshots like lollipop ladies and meals on wheels folk should receive small cash gifts - like a monkey (£500). Entertainers, industrialists and general lickspittles deserve no title other than Mr....or Mrs. of course.

(hope you noticed the inclusivity - am a modern toboggan)

percy toboggan
13-Nov-08, 17:50
There are many millions of unsung heros in the world. I think was of the most moving things in Barack Obamas acceptance speach was his reference to our every day heros whom we take for granted, they give their all for us and take nothing in return.

I liked the way he referred to himself as a 'Mutt'
I'm one too. Agreed Obama talks the talk.

Iffy
13-Nov-08, 18:10
Hi Northerner

Yes, I do realise that there are a lot of MBE's and OBE's given out to the hard working people, two of my Uncle's having been among them for services to old people and the Ambulance Service, but MY point is.. have you ever met a "Joe Bloggs" on the street or a neighbour or a family member, who you know would deserve the title of "Sir" or "Dame" and are still one of the many unrecognised in this category ???

This Title only goes to those who are in the fore-front of media activities and NOT our Un-Sung heroes.............!!!!

percy toboggan
13-Nov-08, 18:17
...and NOT our Un-Sung heroes.............!!!!

if you've never been bothered by The Police...are you an - 'unstung hero?'

...sorry, I'm almost drunk!

Iffy
13-Nov-08, 18:48
Hey Percy !

Good one - but I don't think our wavelength is the same, or maybe you have been knighted ??? !!

Enjoy your dram / drams !!

Fran
08-Jan-09, 02:43
Hi Northerner

Yes, I do realise that there are a lot of MBE's and OBE's given out to the hard working people, two of my Uncle's having been among them for services to old people and the Ambulance Service, but MY point is.. have you ever met a "Joe Bloggs" on the street or a neighbour or a family member, who you know would deserve the title of "Sir" or "Dame" and are still one of the many unrecognised in this category ???

This Title only goes to those who are in the fore-front of media activities and NOT our Un-Sung heroes.............!!!!

I know of a few caithness people who are ordinary working class and have their work who have been awarded the mbe. They had been nominated by a friend or person, its very easy to send off for the form and fill it in, but you also need about 3 other people writing in support too. hope many more mbe's come to caithness as i know a few people who should have one.

buffy
08-Jan-09, 08:34
Hi Northerner

You're spot on Iffy.
If 'Sirs' Jimmy Saville, Elton John or Cliff Richard were normal everyday fowk who did the (e.g.) charity work that they do, but didn't have media careers, they would have maybe got an MBE if they were lucky but never a knighthood - they only go to the already rich and famous.

poppett
08-Jan-09, 10:04
I agree with Fran with regards to the nomination process. The nomination package is quite straightforward and in easy to understand format.

Getting personal information about (say a healthcare professional you only know in their professional capacity) the nominee can have the nominator driven to distraction, given that the nominee is not meant to have a clue they have been nominated in the first place.

Then having like minded people to back up the nomination is the next hurdle as the letters need to make the same point but not appear to be just a signed format with the name and addressed changed.

In the months it took to put together the nomination I sponsored last year I felt like a cross between Miss Marple and John Rebus on speed. Funnily enough my biggest stumbling block turned out to be my saving grace. The nominees director of surgery was asked to sponsor the nominee to the Cabinet Office. He wrote a sh1tty letter back saying in his opinion he was only doing the job he was paid for, and promptly told the nominee about the attempt to get an award for him, but that he (the boss) had decreed it would go no further.

In actual fact, all he did was help, as other colleagues came out of the woodwork with sponsorship and the nominee, believing the award had been dropped started telling the other workers in his clinic about his reserach projects, commitment to a Charity providing medical ships up the Amazon, and one of the party on his last trip provided the Cabinet office with a daily diary and photos and a video of their last Amazonian trip, as well as filling in the gaps about his home and where he lives!

It will be at least another year before we hear if an award is to be made, and in the meantime the sponsorship letters are still arriving in London.

I wouldn`t want to be the one to make the decision who gets which award, but someone has to do it.

Hope to see a few more Caithness folk there in the future.