PDA

View Full Version : DNA Database

Kevin Milkins
12-Nov-08, 14:05
Lots of talk about a national DNA Database again. I am not sure myself if I would be happy with the idea.

The goverment has proved that it is not capable of keeping our private details safe so would this be any different.

I think the technoligy that is available to us today and the break through in science regarding DNA profile is facinating, but would it bring the benifits that are intended, or would the crooks dodge the system?

wifie
12-Nov-08, 16:34
Heard some stuff about this on TV last night and it could open up many cans of worms. In theory it would be a fantastic idea but again it would be only if it could be safeguarded from abuse and misuse. (Oh and of course being left on a train!)

percy toboggan
12-Nov-08, 18:48
The whole ide aof swabbing infants is an outrage.
Those not convicted of any offence should be removed from any database.

If you believe scientists are infallible, that every child should be seen a potential criminal and that your future movements should be monitored by Governments of any hue or view then I expect you will disagree.

hotrod4
12-Nov-08, 19:27
David Icke has been on about this for years.
Its all part of the Illuminati trying to exert even more control over us.
A DNA database can be good but would be abused by those that are in power, mark my words next it will be cloning.

percy toboggan
12-Nov-08, 19:43
David Icke has been on about this for years.
Its all part of the Illuminati trying to exert even more control over us.
A DNA database can be good but would be abused by those that are in power, mark my words next it will be cloning.

havin' looked at me new avatar and the way it's turned out I challenge them to clone me and the missus!

honey
12-Nov-08, 20:09
i personally wouldnt mind my details being kept on a database. I have nothing to hide, and it could result in saving lives.

brandy
12-Nov-08, 20:13
sam and ben are both in a dna data base. they had their blood taken when they were born. given they were both scbu babies and it was more for medical science. and anything that might help another parent down the road is ok in my book. not much bothered by it. its just an advanced step to fingerprinting. its not invasive and at the end of the day what are they going to do with it?
plant your dna at a crime scene?
if they really want to clone me... well ok. think they could find someone better to clone though.
they could clone organs for you... just think your child is dying of a horrible illness that a transplant could cure, but the risk of regection is so high... and you know their dead if the body rejects the donor organ... just imagine being able to grow an organ from your childs dna that is a perfect match.
the idea baffles the eye
however i am sick right now and running a fever so i may just be talking utter rubbish, but it makes sence to me at the moment.

percy toboggan
12-Nov-08, 20:18
i personally wouldnt mind my details being kept on a database. I have nothing to hide, and it could result in saving lives.

How do you know that in thirty years time you will not be anti-government if that Government is fascist, or hard line communist and clamping down on freedom of expression, movement and speech?
Control...total control is what some of our more fanciful politicians dream of. You seek to give away your freedoms too easily in my umble opinion.
'Nothing to hide' doesn't cut the mustard for those with vision, and scepticism.
DNA databases also make for lazy policing. Do you know anything about DNA Science?
No, thought not. I know enough to know those who do are NOT infallible.

honey
12-Nov-08, 20:25
i know enough to form an opinion thanks Percly.. maybe one you dont agree with, but one that is just as valid as yours! :mad:

percy toboggan
12-Nov-08, 20:58
i know enough to form an opinion thanks Percly.. maybe one you dont agree with, but one that is just as valid as yours! :mad:

I didn't say it wasn't, but nor did you add much to suggest it was.

Kevin Milkins
12-Nov-08, 21:08
The whole ide aof swabbing infants is an outrage.
Those not convicted of any offence should be removed from any database.

If you believe scientists are infallible, that every child should be seen a potential criminal and that your future movements should be monitored by Governments of any hue or view then I expect you will disagree.

What makes you feel as if I may disagree with you Percy?:confused

percy toboggan
12-Nov-08, 21:17
What makes you feel as if I may disagree with you Percy?:confused

I was not addressing you specifically Kevin.
The 'you' was aimed more generally at those who wish to see babes in arms swabbed.

trix
12-Nov-08, 21:29
i da trust 'e goverment as it is withoot gien them ma dna.

iv choost been readin aboot how both world wars were all a conspiracy :eek:

no way, da tell 'at guys nothin.....

they will use an abuse wi no guarantee o' 'e ootcome...

Aaldtimer
13-Nov-08, 04:26
As usual, this thread has run off the rails into fantastic conjecture.
Who is wanting to swab babies?
The fact that DNA databases have brought killers to justice after 30-40 years in "cold case" cases in the US is enough in my mind to justify offenders of any kind being registered on a National DNA Database.
If it gets rapists, murderers, child molesters, whatever, off the streets ASAP then I'm all for it!
This is not about keeping samples, it's about keeping profiles, i.e. data. OK, the security issues are important but whatcha gonna do with a profile?

Metalattakk
13-Nov-08, 11:37
That's the problem though, Aaldtimer - no one has said it will only be offenders that will be on it. It's a dangerous precedent to set.

In January next year, England & Wales will have a national children's database called 'ContactPoint', where every child's details will be registered. The government reckons that 330,000 people will have access to those details.

But, top IT news site The Register has shown the government has lied about how many people will have access, and their figures reckon that up to 1 million people will have access to these children's private details.

Do you thank that's the road we need to be going down? If the government can be so duplicitous in presenting their figures, how on earth can we trust them with our children's private details?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/12/contactpoint_figures_analysis/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/12/contactpoint_figures_analysis_comment/

percy toboggan
13-Nov-08, 17:51
OK, the security issues are important but whatcha gonna do with a profile?

Well, you could use mine to deter burglars.
Quotes on application.