PDA

View Full Version : FAO Computer Techies Over 28

grantyg
23-Jan-06, 20:54
http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/

LOL

wilma
23-Jan-06, 21:00
That was funny oh i remember the good old days with my commador 64 those were the days.

jjc
23-Jan-06, 21:01
16K... those really were the days!! :lol:

Royster1911
23-Jan-06, 21:05
let n = nostalga
print n

Saveman
23-Jan-06, 21:47
10 goto 20
20 goto 30
30 goto 40
40 goto 10

run 10

Ever get days like that?
:lol:

connieb19
23-Jan-06, 21:48
The games were great fun...I enjoyed that!!..lol:Razz

Niall Fernie
23-Jan-06, 22:03
10 PRINT "Currys is CRAP! "
20 GOTO 10

RUN

...was the first thing I ever learned to type really quickly (in fact it was a variation on the first thing I ever typed). Mind you, typing on a ZX81 was akin to using one of those silly pad/mouse things on a laptop.

I've completed the "16k" versions of all the games in the video (can't remember if I owned them all or not :) ) The speccy was THE ultimate gaming machine of its day and was probably robust enough to be sent into war or blasted off to Pluto without fault unless you were relying on a tape (results of "R: Tape Loading Error" proves the robustness of the beast)

A couple of sites for those interested in what people do with small files these days:

http://www.the5k.org/ : The site for the "what can you do in 5k" competition (waiting for this years comp - so site is down/quiet)

http://www.theprodukkt.com/ Make sure you download and try the ".the produckkt." amazing what fits into 96k, the other demos are also amazing.

Proving that there are coders out there that have not forgotten Sir Clive and the legacy he created.

rich62_uk
23-Jan-06, 22:04
10 goto 20
20 goto 30
30 goto 40
40 goto 10

run 10

Ever get days like that?
:lol:

Sorry there is a glitch in your program add

35 gosub 50
50 PRINT "go to pub"
60 wait 24
70 return

Rich

Bobinovich
24-Jan-06, 19:17
Ahh those were most definately the days. My first computer was a 48k Spectrum (Xmas '82) and it opened up a whole new world for loners such as me. Later I added an Interface 1 and ZX Microdrive, and even eventually a Discovery 3.5" floppy drive - remember those?

I played virtually all the games in the video, but preferred reading through the mounds of magazines learning ZX Basic and Z80 assembler snippets. I never had any games on the Xmas day I got it so sat down and created my own noughts & crosses game from scratch...

I also remember helping a friend in Castletown produce a Z80 game complete with 101 levels and digitised speech! - however he was just a year or so behind the times and it ended up being bought and released by a budget label.

Great times! :p

grantyg
25-Jan-06, 00:05
Right the retro list.........

I had a commodore vic20 which was swapped for a dragon 64k
then that just didn`t cut the mustard specially the microsoft flight sim with 2 colours so you couldn`t tell the air and ground grrrrrrrr my imagination kept me happy on that one!

Then I got a spectrum my mate carried it in his blazer pocket!
that gto upgraded to a speccy 128k with built in tape drive!

then a trusty amiga 1200 now that was a machine - i miss the games!

Doolally
25-Jan-06, 22:49
I started in '84 with a Dragon 32 which was really a great machine if you got into the guts of it. My claim to fame is that I got 2 games that I wrote published when I was 14 or 15. Great days!!

I followed up with a MSX then an Amiga 500. Still got them all somewhere.

They all lasted for years but these days I seem to go through PCs like a knife through butter.

Bobinovich
27-Jan-06, 13:46
Have any of you oldies(!) tried MAME or other emulators - I had a retro blast a few months ago downloading and playing some of my old arcade, console and Speccy favourites. Bombjack, JetPac and ToeJam & Earl - oh the hours that were wasted!!!!

cullbucket
27-Jan-06, 14:25
what about manic miner and jet set willy?????
Well I started out with a 1k ZX81....... which was nice
I remember my disappointment after I plugged it in and realised I was not going to get defender, asteroids or in fact games except writing and I'd better start learning basic real quick
Then for the next 5 years I watched in envy as my mates played all these great games on their spectrums which I couldn't, as, according to my mum - "You already have a computer"
I am still scarred

rich62_uk
27-Jan-06, 14:28
Have any of you oldies(!) tried MAME or other emulators - I had a retro blast a few months ago downloading and playing some of my old arcade, console and Speccy favourites. Bombjack, JetPac and ToeJam & Earl - oh the hours that were wasted!!!!

Manic Miner was the game for me, the only problems I remember was the fact that it took me many weeks to complete the game as you only got three lives at each shot, and as there was no such thing as a memory card in those days the only way to complete the game was to play from beginning to end, in fact I still have a scar on my fore finger as proof. Rich.

grantyg
27-Jan-06, 15:08
http://www.xmixdrix.com/manicminer/

rich62_uk
27-Jan-06, 15:17
http://www.xmixdrix.com/manicminer/

Thank you grant, now could you remove this before my husband sees it as we are moving in a few weeks and I need a hand with the packing...... Trish [mad]

don't bother he is telling me what a great person this grant is he obviously beat me to it

badger
27-Jan-06, 17:10
We started at home with the first Amstrad which had a tape cassette. My first work pc had two big floppy disk drives - you put your software in one (e.g. WordPerfect) and saved your work on the other. All that lovely DOS - makes me feel quite nostalgic. Lots of code to add a new printer - yes those were the days :eyes

grantyg
27-Jan-06, 18:34
Thank you grant, now could you remove this before my husband sees it as we are moving in a few weeks and I need a hand with the packing...... Trish [mad]

don't bother he is telling me what a great person this grant is he obviously beat me to it

This will help the stress of moving!

http://www.mjwilson.demon.co.uk/jsw.html