PDA

View Full Version : Removing a virus

ashaw1
12-Nov-08, 10:51
Having a few problems with my pc right now and it's driving me mad. It is regularly cleaned with Spybot and Norton but the problem still occurs even immediately after being cleaned.

I get loads of pop up boxes from Norton saying that my email system is trying to send out emails that Norton is blocking. Various members of the household use the pc and i use various email systems for business etc. Do i need to find out which email system is trying to send these junk emails or is there an easier way of removing this?

blueivy
12-Nov-08, 15:29
Having a few problems with my pc right now and it's driving me mad. It is regularly cleaned with Spybot and Norton but the problem still occurs even immediately after being cleaned.

I get loads of pop up boxes from Norton saying that my email system is trying to send out emails that Norton is blocking. Various members of the household use the pc and i use various email systems for business etc. Do i need to find out which email system is trying to send these junk emails or is there an easier way of removing this?

If your machine is regularly cleaned then I'd look in other areas initially for the problems.

You mention you use various email 'systems' for business etc. What are these email systems? Do they automatically send out email?

ashaw1
12-Nov-08, 17:57
The only email systems i use are yahoo mail and hotmail, used to use outlook express.

Read the other post about removing a virus and i have downloaded http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and fingers crossed it seems to be working ok now, it picked up 32 problems even after using Norton and Spybot so if this has cured it i would certainly recommend it!

blueivy
12-Nov-08, 17:59
The only email systems i use are yahoo mail and hotmail, used to use outlook express.

Read the other post about removing a virus and i have downloaded http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and fingers crossed it seems to be working ok now, it picked up 32 problems even after using Norton and Spybot so if this has cured it i would certainly recommend it!

The email systems you use don't send mail out from your PC as they only work through a browser.

Malwarebytes is an excellent antispyware app. My advice to you (and anybody else using it) is to ditch Norton and get a decent security suite as, in my experience (and a lot of other people on here), Norton can cause more problems than it solves. Removing it can be as equally challenging!

ashaw1
13-Nov-08, 18:15
I hate to think what would have happened if i didn't have Norton installed as it was Norton that was picking up whatever the pc was trying to do. The only reason i have used it is because it comes free with BT Broadband. Which security suite would you recommend instead?

blueivy
13-Nov-08, 18:56
I hate to think what would have happened if i didn't have Norton installed as it was Norton that was picking up whatever the pc was trying to do. The only reason i have used it is because it comes free with BT Broadband. Which security suite would you recommend instead?

I usually recommend separate products as each manufacturer can then concentrate on what they are good at rather than a suite which tends to have one good and the rest mediocre.

I use ESET Antivirus, CounterSpy antispyware and Outpost Firewall Pro. All of the products I use are paid for but there are some good free ones other there such as Malwarebytes (that you tried) and Comodo Firewall. As you are a business though, make sure that any free software you use you are allowed to do so - for example AVG is only allowed for private home use (Malwarebytes and Comodo you would need to check out as I have only briefly used them for testing so the licence restrictions didn't apply).

Best thing to do is find a few that fit in with how you work, research them (using sites such as www.av-comparatives.org, www.matousec.com etc.), try them out and then start using them.