PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Oddquine
12-Nov-08, 04:02
My daughter has a lovely GS who is around 12-13 years old. (ex-rescue at around 18 months so not certain of age)

A couple of years ago, she had a benign tumour removed from her back leg.

Since then she has gradually become less active until she has come to the stage that, though she'd like to go out for a walk, she is unable to go any distance without her back legs giving out.

She has also become doubly incontinent, and it really appears she is not aware of the need to go. She is also no longer able to make the steps to the back garden so has to get out in the front one.

But she is still eating and drinking well and seems to be enjoying her food and any treats she is given.

So does my daughter just leave her, shampoo the carpets daily and wait till nature calls her.................or does she take her to the vet?

I can't advise her, because my 15 year old collie cross went off her legs in much the same way, but then had a stroke before the incontinence started so was put down as the vet said she'd never be able to use her back legs again.

I'm inclined to think that I'd do the shampooing as long as necessary...........but then I'm on my own, with nowt much else to do while the daughter has a couple of kids another dog, a cat and a full time job nursing to cope with as well.

In her place, what would you do?

ciderally
12-Nov-08, 04:14
this is really hard....if it was me and the dog wasent in any pain or stress i would be cleaning up after him ...you can put a nappy on him...but if he is in distress then i wouldent like to see any of my animals suffer....big cuddles to him from me xx and to you daughter she is gonna need a lot of support xx

dousslesh
12-Nov-08, 09:57
So sorry. It is a situation every pet owner dreads. Sadly but perhaps thankfully and with a very heavy heart; the day dawns when it becomes obvious that it is time to say goodbye, it is an instinctive and loving decision and the final loving act. Until then I am sure your daughter will treasure every day with her much loved pet and will have some wonderful memories.
Please tell her not to feel guilty when the time comes to say goodbye, she will make the decision for the right reasons ,that is sooooo apparent from the way she is coping and caring . Many people on The Org. will understand how this feels and will be thinking of your family and of course your family's much loved dog . Take care x x

Liz
12-Nov-08, 13:43
Oh Oddquine we have all been in your poor daughter's situation and,as Dousslesh says, you just know when the time is right to let your beloved pet go. Look into their eyes.

When the dog no longer has a good quality of life then it is time to let her slip peacefully away and your daughter should not feel guilty for doing this as it is the most unselfish thing she can do. The final act of love.

If it was just the mobility which was the problem you can get devices with wheels which effectively replaces the dogs back legs.

Whatever she decides my heart goes out to your daughter.

cuddlepop
12-Nov-08, 17:46
Tough one to call but like the others say,your daughter will just know.

Sometimes i think I made my decision too early as Connie was eating and drinking.What pushed me forward was her mobility problems,that for her was making her a prisoner in the garden which she hated.:~(

porshiepoo
12-Nov-08, 19:32
An awful situation for anyone to have to be in and I'm sure your daughter is doing the best she can.

Personally, for me (and I've been there too many times) I would ask for an honest opinion from the vet.
It's great that your daughters dog appears to be happy in itself, however being incontinent can really stress an animal and while I would never suggest euthanasia for that reason alone, I would certainly have an honest chat with the vet.
The fact that her back legs have 'gone' too just makes the situation all the more dreadful for both your daughter and her dog and it gets to the point where you have to ask who you are keeping the dog alive for. Is it because the dog is genuinely happy and pain free? Or is it because the alternative is hard to think about and your daughter maybe isn't ready for that yet?

We have always owned GSD's and have lost 2 to old age and back end problems and had to have both pts. It's never an easy option and it always seems that when you do finally make that decision, the dog suddenly appears to perk up and it's put off.

All I can say is that it won;t get any easier for the dog and generally back end problems with GSDs will involve a fair degree of pain. Don't expect the dog to whine and cry though, they just don't always seem to do that.

12-13 is a decent age and your daughter will have many many happy memories. My fear is always that those memories will be marred by a traumatic, painful passing which could have been avoided.
After so many happy years together, any pet relies on it's human to make the decision to end any pain or suffering it may be in. It's the least we can do.
On the other hand a vet may suggest that the dog is still relatively comfy and happy and that there is no action needed.

This is my opinion only and I am certainly not suggesting that any dog should be pts just becasue it's old or incontinent, but I have been there and I do speak from experience.
The female GSD we had we kept putting off the inevitable. She was 14 and her back end had gone. She'd been on the Metacam and nothing was working. Watching a dog swaying from side to side is not the right thing to do but still my OH couldn't let go. In the end one day she screamed because she couldn't get up atall and I had to get a friend to help me carry her to the car and the vets where I finally had her PTS.
The guilt we feel for leaving it for so long because she kept perking up in still indescribable and now our last memories are of her suffering at the end. (It's amazing how that one sad, painful memory can blot out the years of gorgeous, happy ones)

All I can say is, get the vets opinion and weigh that with what your daughter 'knows' of her dog.

Good Luck. Keep in touch and let us know how it's going.

teenybash
12-Nov-08, 20:11
This is heartbreaking...................... If happiness and contentment still shine from those bright eyes, then the time is not right to part. While going out the front door is still managed and the carpet shampooer still works, then the time is not right to part.
When the light of happiness dulls and the front door is too hard to walk through..even if the carpet shampooer still works, then it is time........enjoy what is left and make happy memories today that will comfort tomorrow. :o

Fstevens
12-Nov-08, 20:43
How very sad, I also had a old shepherd, with same problems, I did as your daughter does each and everyday for a long long time, but he was happy ate well, just toilet problems due to his legs.

Then one day he just refused to try to go out, and his eyes told me "It is time Mum " and so then I had the vet come to put him to rest. and I was pleased that I try for him as long as he wanted me to.
God bless, big cuddles to the shepherd.

Oddquine
28-May-09, 18:23
Dragging this up again to let you know that Breeze finally had to be put to sleep today.

Thank you all for the input which helped my daughter decide that, however bad they thought Breeze was feeling, she'd make it obvious herself when enough was enough.

dragonfly
28-May-09, 18:33
so sorry to hear about Breeze Oddquine, so sad but at least she is painfree now.

Liz
28-May-09, 18:54
My sincere sympathy on the loss of Breeze.:~(

Your daughter definitely did the right thing in letting her go when the time was right.
I am sure Breeze was very grateful.

cuddlepop
28-May-09, 19:11
Thanks for letting us Know about Breeze Oddquine.

Even when you know the end is coming and it will relieve their pain....it still hurts like hell.:~(

BINBOB
28-May-09, 22:10
so sorry .....

balto
28-May-09, 22:30
My daughter has a lovely GS who is around 12-13 years old. (ex-rescue at around 18 months so not certain of age)

A couple of years ago, she had a benign tumour removed from her back leg.

Since then she has gradually become less active until she has come to the stage that, though she'd like to go out for a walk, she is unable to go any distance without her back legs giving out.

She has also become doubly incontinent, and it really appears she is not aware of the need to go. She is also no longer able to make the steps to the back garden so has to get out in the front one.

But she is still eating and drinking well and seems to be enjoying her food and any treats she is given.

So does my daughter just leave her, shampoo the carpets daily and wait till nature calls her.................or does she take her to the vet?

I can't advise her, because my 15 year old collie cross went off her legs in much the same way, but then had a stroke before the incontinence started so was put down as the vet said she'd never be able to use her back legs again.

I'm inclined to think that I'd do the shampooing as long as necessary...........but then I'm on my own, with nowt much else to do while the daughter has a couple of kids another dog, a cat and a full time job nursing to cope with as well.

In her place, what would you do?this sounds exactly the same when we had butch, he to was a gs, and the most loving dog you would find, he was struck down with artharitis in his joints, at the start he was happy to plood on and go outside and eat and drink, but near the end he would cry in pain, he couldnt stand up, so i had to lift him up so he could go out, it didnt help i was 7 months pregnant, i got up on day and saw him in so much pain and decided there and then i had to stop thinking of how i was feeling and put butch first and i phoned the vet and asked them to come up and to put him out of his suffering and they came and did the only thing that could be done for him and they put him to sleep. tell you i have never cried so much as i did in the days after butch left us, but knowing that he wasnt suffering anymore helped me get through it.

she will know when the time comes and your daughter will know what to do, my heartfelt wishes go out to her.xxx

balto
28-May-09, 22:32
Dragging this up again to let you know that Breeze finally had to be put to sleep today.

Thank you all for the input which helped my daughter decide that, however bad they thought Breeze was feeling, she'd make it obvious herself when enough was enough.
sorry never read down far enough, so sorry for your daughters loss, my though are with herxxx

Margaret M.
28-May-09, 23:19
I'm so sorry to hear about Breeze but it sounded like it was time. Your daughter did well taking care of him for several more months -- it could not have been easy. Sending thoughts of comfort to you and your family.