PDA

View Full Version : Learmonth

spittalhill
23-Jan-06, 19:28
Looking for Robert Learmonth b. 1802 in East Lothian who married Janet Donaldson from Wick. He eventually died in Stronsay.

spittalhill
29-Jan-06, 10:05
They married in 1828, but Robert Learmonth later remarried in Orkney. I am trying to find out what happened to his first wife, the family from hi sCaithness marrioage, and where they lived in Caithness. He was from a farming background.

fred
29-Jan-06, 11:08
They married in 1828, but Robert Learmonth later remarried in Orkney. I am trying to find out what happened to his first wife, the family from hi sCaithness marrioage, and where they lived in Caithness. He was from a farming background.
I can't find a Robert Learmonth anywhere.

There was a Robert Learmount at Lybster in 1841, no wife on census, about the right age, eldest son 12 years old and occupation listed as "Greive" which I think was a farm manager or overseer.

District: 19 Folio: 0 Page: 12
Address: Clyths Mare Sibes House

LEARMOUNT Robert M 40 Greive Outside Census County (1841)
LEARMOUNT Robert M 12 Outside Census County (1841)
LEARMOUNT John M 10 Outside Census County (1841)
LEARMOUNT Margaret F 8 Caithness
LEARMOUNT Alexander M 6 Caithness
MCKENZIE Janet F 25 Female Servant Caithness
CAMPBELL Sophia F 25 Female Servant Caithness
BORTHWICK Peter M 40 Male Servant Outside Census County (1841)

spittalhill
29-Jan-06, 14:45
Thanks Fred, I think that is the one. I have seen various spellings of the name in earlier generations. His wife, Janet, may have died in childbirth? I am intrigued that his first two children were not born in Caithness as I believed he moved from East Lothian to Caithness then to Stronsay, Orkney, where he owned a farm.

Doleve
29-Jan-06, 19:02
There is learmonths in john o groats that orginate from orkney if thats any help

spittalhill
29-Jan-06, 19:15
I have not so far been able to establish a connection between Robert Learmonth and his brother, George, who came from East Lothian, and the native Orkney Learmonths. Robert Learmonth farmed at Housebay, Stronsay and George at Westness, Rousay. Any info would be most welcome.