PDA

View Full Version : Blood donation

_Ju_
23-Jan-06, 19:18
Don't forget to give blood tommorow in Wick, 24 January, Assembly rooms.

hez4
23-Jan-06, 20:28
Thats right, I intend to go and donate blood tomorrow night. It will be my first time though - whats it really like? I heard somewhere that you have to be over a certain weight, which I am not, so I hope they let me do it!!:lol:

DW
23-Jan-06, 20:40
Thats right, I intend to go and donate blood tomorrow night. It will be my first time though - whats it really like? I heard somewhere that you have to be over a certain weight, which I am not, so I hope they let me do it!!:lol:

"Certain" seems a bit vague? - how do you know if you are over or under it. [smirk]

wilma
23-Jan-06, 20:41
I will be going to give blood it will be my first time also.

spiggie
23-Jan-06, 20:43
no you dont have to be a certain weight, they check your blood before they take any just to check that you have enough red blood cells. Maybe you are thinking on platlets, you have to be over 9 stone to donate platlets. Do you know what times you can donate blood between, ill be up there.

Royster1911
23-Jan-06, 20:57
I used to give blood while stationed in Edinburgh. I stopped as they had me down as A Pos. It took them about 4 month to realise I was A Neg. What if I had an accident within that 4 month period. The mind boggles:confused:

_Ju_
23-Jan-06, 22:02
Just to remind everyone again..... give a lil blood tomorrow.

For the newbies, it doesn't hurt at all. You'll be tested for heamoglobin and yes you have to be above a certain weight and between certain ages. You will only give blood if you are apt to, so don't worry. Just show up and feel good that you're helping to save lives.

spiggie
23-Jan-06, 22:47
i will Ju but do u know the times ?

brandy
23-Jan-06, 23:00
i used to be a blood doner but dont think i can now as im now diabetic?

lassieinfife
23-Jan-06, 23:06
I was a blood donor to till i became diabetic not allowed to donate now... both daughters donate as they both have rare blood groups

_Ju_
23-Jan-06, 23:20
I am not sure about the exact times, but it's in the afternoon, with a break around 16:30 and continuing into the evening, till around 20:00. Many places have posters of the times ( newsagents, cafe's, etc)

Biker
23-Jan-06, 23:42
both daughters donate as they both have rare blood groups

It is important for every blood group to donate. The common groups are just as important as the rare as it is all proportional, more people require the common groups than the rare.

Lots of info to answer all your questions here:

http://www.show.scot.nhs.uk/scotblood/

If you have any questions then give them a call, they are very helpful.

kas
23-Jan-06, 23:57
This is defentiely one of the best things you can do, and I wish more people would make the effort. I have given since I was 17, but I have been refused 2 out of 3 times due to low heamoglobin levels. But I still make an attempt at most sessions. They told me last time that the heamoglobin levels are to be raised, but hopefully I will still manage to pass some times.

You just never know who will need blood or when. Nobody can say they will never need blood. So go and give it a try, it really does save lives.

_Ju_
24-Jan-06, 00:00
Now all orgers donating blood are going to be looking at the ajacent donor wondering .......

kas
24-Jan-06, 00:14
Now all orgers donating blood are going to be looking at the ajacent donor wondering .......

Please excuse my ignorance, what is a orger ?

JAWS
24-Jan-06, 00:29
Please excuse my ignorance, what is a orger ?
You're an Orger. Panic not. It's just a short way of saying a member of Caithness.ORG Board - an Orger.
It can, I understand be quite contagious.

golach
24-Jan-06, 00:49
I wish I could give blood, I caught Jandice aged 19 so canna give or donate blood, I get a bit upset at this. but what can I do I encourage my family to give blood

Fran
24-Jan-06, 01:59
I admire all people who give blood, there is a shortage just now, and i would like to thank all donors. I used to give blood in wick each time they were up but cannot do it now.It certainly doesnt hurt and you get a cup of tea and a biscuit after, free!!!

Lucy
24-Jan-06, 08:58
I would encourage everyone to give blood. I used to give blood as many times as i could but new regulations came out and because i had a previous transfusion myself i am no longer allowed to give. This really annoyed me but rules are rules so i will be at home doing the ironing instead.
Please as many of you as possible go its a really good cause and it doesn't cost you a penny. The tea, coffee and bickies are always good as well.

rainbow
24-Jan-06, 09:12
The blood donor session is at the Assembly Rooms, Wick between 2 and 4pm, then 5 to 8pm. They take people between 17 and 65 (or is it 60?), and you have to be over 7 stone 7 (or thereabouts), not had a baby in the last year, nor had any tattoos or piercings in the last year, not travelled to deepest Africa, or had sex with a male (if you are a male) or someone with HIV. There is a checklist to go through before you donate blood, and you have to be honest as whats the point donating blood if you put yourself or the recipient at risk. There is no pain, just the inconvenience of loosing some of your time - but whos knows when you may need blood and then you will be grateful that someone donated to save you.

weeboyagee
24-Jan-06, 09:22
A few of us exist - I believe we are about 7% of the population - if you have O Neg blood make a special effort - your blood can be given to anyone (I believe) especially new born babies - a real life saver in the case of an emergency where they don't know the blood group of the patient, so pleeeeeasse go along and donate. If you are a new donor - well done in advance folks and for those of you who have been doing it for ages - keep up the good work - it's one of the kindest things you can do - blood donations show that the world is prepared to cross every barrier and divide - because you don't know who is going to get it - regardless of race, creed, colour, religious background etc......................

.........see ya on the beds!........:)

WBG :cool:

Fran
25-Jan-06, 01:56
if you are having surgery and may need blood, you can give your own blood at the hospital beforehand to use on the day of your operation if needed.

krieve
25-Jan-06, 10:48
Can anyone tell me if you can give blood if you have had a D.V.T (blood clot)???

wickerinca
25-Jan-06, 18:05
Don't know about a D.V.T but I do know that I am not allowed to donate blood in Canada because:

People are not eligible to donate blood or plasma if they have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in the United Kingdom (U.K.) between January 1980, and December 31, 1996, or if they have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in France between January 1980, and December 31, 1996, or if they have spent a cumulative total of five years or more in Western Europe outside the U.K. or France since 1980. In addition, people will no longer be eligible to donate blood or plasma if they have had a blood transfusion in the U.K., France or Western Europe since 1980. This is owing to the risk of transmission of variant Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease (vCJD) (http://www.bloodservices.ca/CentreApps/Internet/UW_V502_MainEngine.nsf/page/vCJD+An+Introduction?OpenDocument) through blood!!!!!

LENSMAN
25-Jan-06, 23:09
If you read the new pamphlet it says that it important to press firmly on the wadding when they take the needle out as it prevents bruising, didn't know this before but tried it last week and it works so try it.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jan-06, 23:23
Can anyone tell me if you can give blood if you have had a D.V.T (blood clot)???
I was also trying to find this out and was told so long as I wasnt on medication but they will keep you right.