PDA

View Full Version : Domestic heating oil prices

pennys
10-Nov-08, 23:59
Can anyonetell me the latest price for heating oil please?:)

Whitewater
11-Nov-08, 00:08
It has come down a lot, don't know the exact price at the moment but it is in the 40p/l range.

Gizmo
11-Nov-08, 00:23
Paid 46p per litre for 500L last week, that's from Simpsons.

TRUCKER
11-Nov-08, 07:03
http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/latest.htm TRY THIS WEBSITE.

Liz
11-Nov-08, 13:57
Do those of you with oil heating regret having this with the fluctuating prices or would you still recommend it?

I am asking as would like to change from solid fuel but just can't decide what kind of heating to go for?:confused

starry
11-Nov-08, 14:04
I paid £433 for 900 litres last week with Highland Fuels. They were the cheapest on the day.

I find the oil ok Liz but I have a coal fire as back up, it doesn't have a boiler so only heats the living room but it does mean I can turn the oil off or right down.

We are mostly about the jumpers and hot water bottles just now trying to use less oil and coal.

Liz
11-Nov-08, 14:09
I paid £433 for 900 litres last week with Highland Fuels. They were the cheapest on the day.

I find the oil ok Liz but I have a coal fire as back up, it doesn't have a boiler so only heats the living room but it does mean I can turn the oil off or right down.

We are mostly about the jumpers and hot water bottles just now trying to use less oil and coal.

Thanks Starry. It is sad that, due to the high prices, we have to resort to the jumpers and hot water bottles though.:confused

starry
11-Nov-08, 14:20
My son had never seen a hot water bottle !!

Honestly I have turned into my granny :confused

kitty
11-Nov-08, 14:38
It seems to me that all heating is expensive now, i've got electric heating and i'm going through about £5 per day sometimes more just to try and keep the house warm. It's ridiculous

starry
11-Nov-08, 14:49
I agree kitty and we still have to coldest part of the year to come.
If I am right in thinking fuel poverty is 10% of overall income on cost of heating then I am almost double that [disgust]

kitty
11-Nov-08, 14:53
I'm sure i'm spending double the amount on electric that i was last year and i'm working full time this year so i'm not even in the house as much :eek:. How does that work?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Nov-08, 22:12
My mum and dad recently changed to all electric heating on economy ten.

They used to have a coal fire which was costing them at least one hundred and twelve pounds in coal with lots of manual labour dust and cleaning.On top of that they were forty six pounds a month on electric.

The total cost of electric for them now is one hundred and ten pounds.

Easy arithmetic they are much better off and the house is still warm and cosy. ;)

We have oil as our house is big and we were told electric would cost us a fortune for the size. :eek:

Tighsonas4
11-Nov-08, 22:38
It seems to me that all heating is expensive now, i've got electric heating and i'm going through about £5 per day sometimes more just to try and keep the house warm. It's ridiculous
its a funny old world as many are going back to solid fuels again logs etc
its seem you cant win no matter what tony

alistair harper
11-Nov-08, 23:03
ok orgers here is the deal.First its cheaper if you take 1000ltrs anything under 900 is dearer.
if you have storage heaters you may be on total heat total control as it gets colder the people in perth increase how long your system charges for you dont have control over this and this is why you may find your electric more expensive in the winter time also if you have a prepayment meter they have put the standing charge on the tarrif. i called scottish fuel today and they were 3p more than simpson=£30 saving on 1000ltr fill. If you can afford to go on direct debit you will save 6%with hydro if you spend 10% on heating your home and you are with hydro you can ask about energy plus care tarrif you may get 20% off for 2 years if you need further information call caithness energy advice on 896524 they give free advice and do home visits.

Stay Warm.

Kodiak
12-Nov-08, 01:18
Last week the price was "44.00 for 500 Litres. At Least that is what my son paid.

dunny
12-Nov-08, 01:21
we just put in 2300 ltrs from Simpsons last week. Just got the invoice and it came to £1020.34 incl. VAT = 44.4p/ltr

We used to be with Scottish Oils, but then one day we ran out on a Saturday the week before Christmas (nightmare - no heat, old victorian house, young baby - doesn't get much worse).

All I could get from Scottish Oils was an answering machine because they're closed at weekends, so I would have had to wait at least 2 days for oil. So I phoned up Simpsons, who couldn't be more helpful, delivered that day and also turned out to be cheaper.

Since moving over to Simpsons, I haven't regretted it - the price has always been cheaper than Scottish Oils, they've always managed to get me oil same day every time I've been dumb enough to allow the tank to run out, and their customer service has been nothing short of excellent.

I guess this should probably be on the "recommendations" forum...

Dorrie
13-Dec-08, 01:15
We have always taken from Scottish Fuels but today I decided to phone them both and see what the price was. We needed 1000 litres and I had to give my postcode. I was quoted: 33.86 ppl from Simpsons and 39 something from Scottish Fuel. That's like £50 on a tank! :eek: So I created an account with Simpsons but they probably won't be able to deliver until Monday so maybe they are very busy just now. :( I paid for it over the telephone at the time of ordering as well, so it is all done. Cheapest 1000 litres for ages at £355.53. :)

starry
13-Dec-08, 11:43
Welcome savings this time of year Dorrie