PDA

View Full Version : Boys Brigade Wick

catran
10-Nov-08, 23:00
What has happened that it no longer exists?

Whitewater
10-Nov-08, 23:47
I've not heard that it does not exist, but it could well be true. As a retired youth leader of many years myself I am always sad to see something like this happening. But unfortunately it is inevitable in this modern day and age. Health and Safety is now very deeply involved and also all the new disclosure laws regarding working with children are all having an effect. It is now very difficult to get responsible adults to go into voluntary work of this type as the risks are so high. You always need to have at least two adults present even though there is only one child in the group. It only takes a tall tale from some child who disikes you to ruin your life. It has happened to many teachers. People who give up there time and help with youth groups without pay are not prepared to take this sort of risk now, and I don't blame them.

bb1stwick
11-Nov-08, 12:03
The Boys' Brigade in Wick was started by John.G.Hood and his friends in 1887. It had been on the go until 2004 when I, Marc MacDonald was in a very serious RTA. There was not enough willing helpers to carry on the BB company so it was put on hold until I recovered. My injuries were very life changing.

In 2005, the BB was started up again. There was alot of adult helpers. in early 2005, the helpers sat a Child Protection course and a BB Training course. Over the past 3 years, those helpers left due to changes of jobs and some of the helpers who had been with the BB before hand, they thought they had given enough help over the years. The helpers that were left were only a few and some days there was not enough so we had to close the doors.

At the moment, the company is in abeyance. The HQ has been informed of the way the Wick BB is and they told me that is a common problem all over the country when companies go in abeyance. There is also some small youth groups who are going through the same problem.

The following courses are needed before we can open the doors;

Child Protection Course

Disclosure Scotland forms must be approved by the police

a BB course must be sat before attending a BB meeting with Boys.

A qualified First Aider must be present every week

A mimimum of 2 fully qualified adults must be present and there must be 1 adult for every 5 boys who is present

There are some BB activities which need an adult which needs another piece of paper to say he/she has been approved by a BB HQ committee, this is before the Boys begin that activity ie Gymnastics, camping, cooking, etc

If you have any of the following qualifications don't hesitate in contacting me. My contact details are on Caithness.org or search on google for Wick Boys' Brigade.

Captain Marc MacDonald
Boys' Brigade
1st Wick Company