PDA

View Full Version : barf diet

brandy
09-Nov-08, 17:33
any one feed their dog a barf diet?
am thinking about starting bubbles onto it.. as she is loosing weight and turning her nose up to dry dog food. she will eat wet easily enough, and steal anything she can, but i want her to eat healthily!
so any advice would be welcome!

teenybash
09-Nov-08, 17:42
Bubbles is telling you something.......'I don't want the dried up nodules......[disgust]'
Why not feed her good quality tinned such as Butchers or good old fashioned Chappie to start her off. they are both full of all the needed nutrients and for a bit of crunch Bakers complete.
A diet of died food is so unatural..........it's less for us humans to do but, I good mixed diet has always worked for my dogs over the years.......... Remember she wants to eat healthy too................:Razz

justine
09-Nov-08, 17:51
take the dog for a long walk before each meal and make it work for the food and she will eat anything. Dogs are not naturaly picky, we make them that way by giving in to them when we think they have had enough of one type of food.Make them work for meals..easiest solution to any eating problem in a dog unless medical conditions make for special diet.:)

I have to ask though, what the heck is a Barf Diet, sounds like a bulimic nervosa for dogs.:eek:

brandy
09-Nov-08, 18:01
a barf diet is a bone and raw food diet. basically meaty bones and raw meat and veg. i was feeding her mixed dry and wet but had tried to put her back to dry as i was told wet wasnt good for them. she has a craving for cat food which we have had to solve by putting the cats bowl away when shes not eating.. which the cat hates as she has always been a grazer! and because bubs is now on a hunger strike she is theiving everything she can! has even went and snatched things off the table! which she got a good row over! i think i scared about 3 years off her for doing that with the waving arms and high pitched screaming! *G* i was not impressed! im quite happy for her to have butchers bones i just dont like the idea of them being in the house laying in the floor... wonder if i can get her to keep them in one place and keep the kids from playing with them!
ahh well can only try! will have to make my way to the butchers tomorrow for a few bones!

justine
09-Nov-08, 18:09
cheers brandy, ive never heard the saying before. We gave bingo wet and tried to change him back on dried, no way. we did everything that was explained by the vet and he lasted nearly three weeks of refusing before WE gave in, and put him back onto wet with mixer, we compromised.
Tank has mixed and bones and if he could anything he would eat. he loves
grapes, apples, bananas, strawberries in fact anything that keonah-Jade may throw off her high chair at lunch time, he gets a pretty balanced diet which we had to do after him being neutered, was getting podgy to say he least.Good luck and hope all works out fine.

Liz
09-Nov-08, 19:08
I can highly recommend Naturediet which is a wet food. A lot of people who feed their dogs on a raw diet use this from time to time.

You can get it from Pets At Home.

Julia
09-Nov-08, 19:48
My two are on BARF diets, they thrive on it, after all it is what nature intended. They eat minced lamb, pork or beef, tripe when I can bear it, chicken legs and wings (only cooked chicken bones are a hazard) and butchers bones. Everything they eat is fed to them raw. www.barfworld.com

Justine - I noticed you feed your dog grapes or raisins, they are very bad for dogs and can make them really ill or even kill them as grapes can cause dogs to develop sudden kidney failure.

More info can be found here (http://www.dogpack.com/health/GrapesRaisinsAndDogs.html) or just google 'dogs +grapes'

Ash
09-Nov-08, 20:24
Justine - I noticed you feed your dog grapes or raisins, they are very bad for dogs and can make them really ill or even kill them as grapes can cause dogs to develop sudden kidney failure.

More info can be found here (http://www.dogpack.com/health/GrapesRaisinsAndDogs.html) or just google 'dogs +grapes'

i was gonna mention that aswell
great minds think a like

but like julia said this is very dangerous

brandy
10-Nov-08, 16:05
yeah!!! tried her today on her barf diet... gave her tripe and mince with carrots and rice.. and she loved it!!
finished the whole bowl in a couple min.
she wasnt too sure to begin with but after the first bite.. YUMMY!!
she was even munching down on the carrot chunks that was left in the bottom of the bowl!
hubby is freaking as im picking up an ox heart on wed. with her bones from the butchers.
have to admit the tripe is very smelly.. ughh..
but i will percivere!

Julia
10-Nov-08, 16:50
Tripe stinks! I buy the frozen tripe mince from pets at home, it's less smelly frozen and easier to handle.

I'd try a wee bit of ox heart to start with as it's very rich, the rest can be chopped up, bagged and stored in the freezer.

Margaret M.
10-Nov-08, 17:44
I researched the BARF diet pretty thoroughly at one time and there is much for and much against it. It takes a lot of effort to feed a raw diet to ensure that it is nutritionally sound and balanced. That and the possible downside of feeding raw bones swayed me in the direction of a high grade canned food. A couple of snippets:

"Barfers' typically concentrate on ingredients and ignore nutrients. All the BARF diets tested had nutritional deficiencies or excesses that could cause serious health problems when used in a long-term feeding program. Of equal concern is the health risks associated with bacteria in the raw food diets, especially the homemade diet that yielded E. coli O157:H7. Although owners feeding raw food diets often claim that dogs are more resistant to pathogenic bacteria, we are not aware of evidence to support that claim." This from Drs. Freeman and Michel in the work they published in March 2001 in the AVMA Journal.

"The feeding of raw bones to domestic dogs is an integral part of the Barfer diet fad. Proponents claim that no harm will come to any dog fed a raw bone. Never mind the literature and veterinary clinics that have seen countless cases of impacted bones, torn stomachs, and other internal organs as a result of this practice. What Barfers' fail to recognize is that the wolf and other wild canids have developed a unique process to accommodate raw bones, a process which domestic dogs as a result of 100,000 years of natural selection cannot duplicate. Debbie Davidson, wildlife biologist with the International Wolf Center in Maine describes that process. "Wolves, and likely the other wild canids that you mentioned, have a mechanism that protects their internal organs when they pass the bones of wild animals through their systems. :snip: Because they often eat the entire animal that they kill, they ingest a lot of hair. Towards the final defecations involving the same kill, hair can be seen in the feces actually wrapped tightly around any bones that are passed through. This seems to protect the organs/passageways as the bones are eliminated."

justine
10-Nov-08, 18:05
[quote=Julia;456139]My two are on BARF diets, they thrive on it, after all it is what nature intended. They eat minced lamb, pork or beef, tripe when I can bear it, chicken legs and wings (only cooked chicken bones are a hazard) and butchers bones. Everything they eat is fed to them raw. www.barfworld.com (http://www.barfworld.com)

JULIA
More info can be found here (http://www.dogpack.com/health/GrapesRaisinsAndDogs.html) or just google 'dogs +grapes'[/quote
No! i dont feed him these, he nicks them if keonah or one of the others drop one. He gets nothing but meat and bones and dog food off me,i know grapes are bad for dogs and if he does get a grape then its one or two maybe, but no more than that.

dragonfly
10-Nov-08, 20:29
JULIA

whoa!! turn the volume down a bit...........that was a bit of a blast :eek:

Think Julia was only trying to let you know, in case you didn't already know, that grapes/raisins can have very serious effects on canines

unicornleather
10-Nov-08, 20:32
I put my 3 dogs on a BARF diet about a year ago and have never looked back, their helath, teeth and coat have improved beyond all recognition, I would NEVER go back to tinned knowing what I know now about what is in processed food .
I use landywoods they were on about starting deliveries in Scotland and if I move up there which I hope to do in the next fews years I will be needing them!
You will be hard pushed to find cheaper or better meat and bones.
Look for yourself www.landywoods.co.uk (http://www.landywoods.co.uk) and make your own mind up, Oz

Margaret M.
11-Nov-08, 02:09
I would NEVER go back to tinned knowing what I know now about what is in processed food .

Tinned pet food at one time was rubbish -- now there are some excellent human grade canned foods available.

binbob
11-Nov-08, 11:30
Tinned pet food at one time was rubbish -- now there are some excellent human grade canned foods available.

have to agree with that....i know folk who do use barf and their dogs are very happy and healthy.
i do not use it...but i think it is a good thing.

Liz
11-Nov-08, 13:54

Totally agree. A good place to get quality canned foods for both dogs and cats is www.zooplus.co.uk

Just because we are not feeding a BARF diet to our pets doesn't mean we are feeding them on rubbish!

Benjy has been on Naturediet since he was a puppy and at nearly 7 years old he has lovely clean teeth (quality wet food does not stick to teeth),a shiny coat and boundless energy.

brandy
11-Nov-08, 14:04
natures diet has been recommended to me by several people.
had a look at the natures diet but all the packages ive seen are geared to smaller dogs.
well the pacaging looked tiny at any rate!
i find it just as easy getting up in the morning.. making enough food for her for the whole day and then popping it in a tupperware bowl and dishing it out at feed times..
this morning she had mince rice and carrots.
tomorrow she will get a bit of ox heart and a lovley marrow bone to chew on.
will grab some more veg when im out to throw in with her meal.. and more rice.
its working out pretty cheap as well... just a few pounds for the mince and i already have everything else in the house ... so not a big increase just another portions worth.
also the kids love watching make bubbles breakfast! they think its great!

teenybash
11-Nov-08, 14:27
My two elderly girls are fed with commonsense food that they both enjoy and keeps them happy and healthy. Sometimes they will have tinned, sometimes cooked meat.beef, chicken, liver etc. Rice also plays a part in their diet to keep ageing tums in good order.
Though both are now 13 years plus they have perfect teeth and gums.
Although the 'diets' are all very good our own commonsense is best of all and usually much cheaper resulting in happy healthy doggys and owners not paying over the odds and feeding company profits.............:)

smoo1604
11-Nov-08, 22:05
my border terrier is fed on raw food. if you google border terrier world and go onto the forum, there is a brilliant section on raw feeding there. the first part has had to be archived as its about 15 pages long but you should try and have a read through it, lots of food ideas and all that on there!!

router
12-Nov-08, 11:23
cheers brandy, ive never heard the saying before. We gave bingo wet and tried to change him back on dried, no way. we did everything that was explained by the vet and he lasted nearly three weeks of refusing before WE gave in, and put him back onto wet with mixer, we compromised.
grapes, apples, bananas, strawberries in fact anything that keonah-Jade may throw off her high chair at lunch time, he gets a pretty balanced diet which we had to do after him being neutered, was getting podgy to say he least.Good luck and hope all works out fine.

My two are on BARF diets, they thrive on it, after all it is what nature intended. They eat minced lamb, pork or beef, tripe when I can bear it, chicken legs and wings (only cooked chicken bones are a hazard) and butchers bones. Everything they eat is fed to them raw. www.barfworld.com (http://www.barfworld.com)

great minds think a like

but like julia said this is very dangerous

whoa!! turn the volume down a bit...........that was a bit of a blast :eek:

Think Julia was only trying to let you know, in case you didn't already know, that grapes/raisins can have very serious effects on canines

can one of you tell me where exactly does it say we feed the dog grapes and where on earth did the raisins come from.
if our dog manages to grab a peice of fallen fruit once in a while then that's fine,dogs are omnivourous after all and the very odd bit of fruit that they scoff isn't going to have a detremental effect on it's health.
maybe you lot could do with some nice healthy fruit it might just help your eye sight:lol:

Julia
12-Nov-08, 12:48
snip, snippety, snip! maybe you lot could do with some nice healthy fruit it might just help your eye sight:lol:

Carrots are good for your eyesight, they are a vegetable not a fruit.

A raisin is a dried grape so it's the same as a grape but dried so still dangerous for dogs to eat.

hotrod4
12-Nov-08, 21:56
"he loves
grapes, apples, bananas, strawberries"

To like something you must have tried it to LOVE something you have to have tried it often. [lol]

router
13-Nov-08, 16:51
[quote=Ash;456150]i was gonna mention that aswell
great minds think a like
and fools seldom differ :Razz

hotrod4
13-Nov-08, 16:54
great minds think a like
People in Glass houses shouldnt throw stones!:Razz

Ash
13-Nov-08, 16:59
[quote=Ash;456150]i was gonna mention that aswell
great minds think a like

u really are being petty
we werent being rude about anything but letting you know the dangerous
but hey if you wanna do this then go ahed

dragonfly
13-Nov-08, 17:31
I wouldn't worry Ash looks like we (you, me & Julia) are being dubbed as fools who think alike cos we tried to point out to that grapes/raisins can be potentially lethal to dogs.

Just to bring the thread back on track again, how's the feeding going now Brandy???

justine
14-Nov-08, 13:50
[quote=router;457572]

u really are being petty
we werent being rude about anything but letting you know the dangerous
but hey if you wanna do this then go ahed

we have had dogs long enough to know what not too feed him, but if you have alittle one in ahigh chair that throws a half grape on the floor and the dog grabs it and eats it which was stated in the original post then thats not exactly feeding him grapes daily. He obviously likes the flavour of them but we certainly dont give him them, like i said earlier, he gets nothing off us that is not dog food, prepared for dogs by respected manufacturers,which he enjoys.;and according to the vet hes a handsome, well mannered healthy dog, so i must be doing something right.

justine
14-Nov-08, 13:52
People in Glass houses shouldnt throw stones!:Razz

And as humans we should eliminate the threat of the borg.:Razz

Julia
14-Nov-08, 13:56
I for one am now sick of hearing about your dog and his grapes, you have to learn to let things go. It's not healthy to keep going on and on and on.

brandy
14-Nov-08, 14:36
really really well so far.. eating like a pro, still begging but pretty sure thats just the lab in her!
in fact have to go out and get more food! shes eaten it all! well almost any way!

dragonfly
14-Nov-08, 14:40
yay way to go bubbles, just have to watch that she doesn't start to put on too much weight now with all the food she's eating!!

brandy
14-Nov-08, 15:15
i know! shes only getting two feeds a day and im watching what she eats.. the brat was eyeing up my gammon steak last night!

hotrod4
16-Nov-08, 08:52
And as humans we should eliminate the threat of the borg.:Razz
whats your grape? oops sorry gripe?

hotrod4
16-Nov-08, 11:44
I feed my dog just dog food. She is very fussy and only likes Lamb,Chicken and Turkey flavours. She hates Liver or Beef.For a treat she gets raw chicken wings on a Sunday,thats the only time she gets raw. She is very small though so doesnt need much feeding and she is a well mannered handsome girl so the Vet advises us so we must be doing something right;)

wrightrasta
21-Nov-08, 21:16
I feed my dogs a Barf diet 5 days a week raw meat (hearts, livers, kidneys, and meat) the other 2 days they have only bones. The condition on them is completely different from dry food the odd day I feed some dry food just to give them a change or I forget to take meat out the freezer.
Drop of codliver oil every few days and veg oil the odd day too.

Dosent cost me a penny and the dogs thrive on it.

Regards wrightrasta

justine
23-Nov-08, 14:54
I for one am now sick of hearing about your dog and his grapes, you have to learn to let things go. It's not healthy to keep going on and on and on.

My god i did not know you got the org in audio, i want one:eek:

balto
23-Nov-08, 17:45
grapes, apples, bananas, strawberries in fact anything that keonah-Jade may throw off her high chair at lunch time, he gets a pretty balanced diet which we had to do after him being neutered, was getting podgy to say he least.Good luck and hope all works out fine.just reading all the negative post that have come back from this, but i for one cant see what the problem is, justine hasnt said that she feeds her dog on fruit and stuff, he just is like most dogs will take what he can get especially if it is throwen of a high chair, i know my dog will take anything he can get, he isnt fussy poor boy he is, and he still eats his own food, so i think personnally you should give justine a break here.

Ash
23-Nov-08, 20:32
i think julia was just letting her know the risks of grapes and raisins, but as usual people take things the wrong way, nobody said a bad word about her but then her and her other half had to keep it going and still are

balto
23-Nov-08, 20:49
i think julia was just letting her know the risks of grapes and raisins, but as usual people take things the wrong way, nobody said a bad word about her but then her and her other half had to keep it going and still are
but you cant help what a dog will get his paws on, like kids you cant watch them 24hrs a day, i know i cant.

justine
24-Nov-08, 13:49
hey balto.glad to see you back, been away for a while:( thanks for the words. i kept it going because its easy for people to jump on what i say and then expect silence. After doing research it would take 2kg of grapes or raisins for Tanks weight to make a difference to him, so i dont think a half grape is gonna make that much of a glitch in his digestive system.
But as you say tank is like every other canine OMNIVORE, they will scavange anything that they can get their teeth into, dont worry about them saying what they think, water of a ducks back, i am having more fun than you think with this..Atleast i dont have a dog that continually barks because its bored running around a house all day.:lol:

carasmam
24-Nov-08, 15:42
Well Brandy's thread managed to get back on track for a little while at least :)

Why dont the posters with grapes and gripes take them elsewhere and thrash it out among yourselves, I for one am sick of reading catty comments that have nothing today with the original topic :roll:

Liz
24-Nov-08, 15:47
Well Brandy's thread managed to get back on track for a little while at least :)

Why dont the posters with grapes and gripes take them elsewhere and thrash it out among yourselves, I for one am sick of reading catty comments that have nothing today with the original topic :roll:

Totally agree with you! I thought Pets Corner was an oasis of calm where pet lovers could get together.
These constant digs from certain orgers are really getting on my wotsits!

Ash
24-Nov-08, 16:31
i for one thing some posts should be removed

brandy
24-Nov-08, 16:40
just gonna close this thread as its going down hill.. thanks for all the advice and support guys.