PDA

View Full Version : Free Time Me Time

starry
09-Nov-08, 16:23
What do you do with your free time ?

Do you just slob out at home, are you ok with this ?
Or do you fill every minute of your spare time and feel guilty if you do nothing for the day.

I want (I think) a hobby, but I am very lazy and can't really find anything that takes my fancy.
I am not into exercise, I am not creative, I read but already take part in reading groups online.
I don't like bingo, I don't want to do flower arranging.

There must be something out there I could do that would fit my confidence and energy levels :confused

Any ideas, suggestions ?

percy toboggan
09-Nov-08, 16:32
We all need a little time to 'slob-out' as you call it.
I'm not keen on bingo either.

Are you low on confidence?

If so I'm thinking of branching out into lifecoaching and might well be holding seminars on 'self-esteem' in the near future.

In the meantime might I suggest photography or movie work. Film the minutiae of your life for the entertainment of yourself and your descendants. Why not capture your nearest and dearest's thought on life and music in the shape of the 'desert island discs' format? Jump in the car and drive to somewhere wild which might until now have passed you by. Think about composing some words to describe your feelings at the time, for in digital format these will last for a couple of hundred years and might well be of interest to somebody.

Failing this, have you considered jigsaws? I did once, but baulked at a big one....talked a friend and his new partner into completing it for me and it's been gathering dust atop a wardrobe for two years now.,,,still in one piece...I havne the heart to decompose.

starry
09-Nov-08, 16:41
Oh I hadn't thought of photography Percy thanks

I am ok on confidence generally but would struggle to turn up at something like a climbing club on my own without another novice to keep me company.
I would do it if I knew there were others of similiar age (weight) going to be there.

I do jigsaws online :saddo:

I was speaking to someone who travels 160 mile round trip to do martial arts, they have done this for 6 years and are just about to take their black belt grading.
Athough the martial arts isn't the thing for me I would like to find something that got me going again and made me excited enough to leave the house on a cold dark night.

Donald Harper
09-Nov-08, 16:41
Why not consider becoming a volunteer Adviser with the Caithness Citizens Advice Bureau. Ring 01847 894243 for an application form.
Best of luck.:)

starry
09-Nov-08, 16:47
I work full time, for a charity, so it would be a wee bit too much like work.
Hope that doesn't make me sound selfish, it is just I am looking for something that would take my mind of work and help me forget it.

Kodiak
09-Nov-08, 16:51
Since you do not like exercise this would suggest a hobby indoors.

So why not try one of the many free Oline games that run in real time. All you need is a Browser and you can play for free, but a warning they are very adictive as I started 4 years ago and I am still playing and I help to run one of them now. Here are a few links.

http://www.ogame.org

http://www.vendetta1923.com

http://www.darkpirates.com

http://www.metin-2.com

http://www.bitefight.org

http://www.battle-knight.org

http://ikariam.org

http://www.nostale.co.uk

Ogame is the most well known and there is 40 Universes to choose from. Darkpirates is an Excellent game.

percy toboggan
09-Nov-08, 16:51
[quote=starry;456041]I do jigsaws online :saddo:

quote]

Dunna put yerself down starry. I didn't even know you could do jigsaws on the net and won't be investrigating it but if you enjoy it then that's totally fine.

We are a world of individuals my friend.
Have you any elderly relatives whom you could talk to and perhaps record their thoughts, and their experiences?
They might enjoy the attention - say the recent Remembrance events have inspired you.
Motivation to go out on a cold, dark - often wet- night is a big ask, and when I 'slob-out' - I do it from this position, under my stairs. I do not need to justify it to anyone else, and neither do you. I hope you manage to find a pursuit that suits.;)

Angela
09-Nov-08, 17:03
Have you thought of researching your family history, starry? It's an ideal winter pursuit -no need to force yourself out on cold dark nights!;)

I started on mine a couple of years ago when I was convalescing from an illness and was housebound. I don't have as much time for it now, but I still keep it bubbling away on the back burner.

Filling in the gaps in your family tree can be really satisfying -not unlike a jigsaw :D-but what I enjoy best is being led off at tangents and reading up about the social history.

There are lots of sites and relevant info online, much of it free. :)

teenybash
09-Nov-08, 17:48
If you do a lot of reading why not turn the tables and try writing something, poems, lmericks, short stories..............doesn't matter that you are no Linda La Plant or Jackie Collins have a go for your own amusement....:Razz

EDDIE
09-Nov-08, 18:09
What do you do with your free time ?

Do you just slob out at home, are you ok with this ?
Or do you fill every minute of your spare time and feel guilty if you do nothing for the day.

I want (I think) a hobby, but I am very lazy and can't really find anything that takes my fancy.
I am not into exercise, I am not creative, I read but already take part in reading groups online.
I don't like bingo, I don't want to do flower arranging.

There must be something out there I could do that would fit my confidence and energy levels :confused

Any ideas, suggestions ?

And whats wrong with slobbing out at home with ure free time if thats what u want to do then do it im the same i work all day and when i get home i cant be bothered doing anything so i slob out to so ure not alone

justine
09-Nov-08, 18:17
I use my time for either me and oh after a long day with the kids or as most of the time My Fish tank. I am a lover of tropical fish and have my tank to maintain, clean and enjoy my fish, relaxing and wonderfull at the same time..Stress relief to the max.

i also love to paint and build models. I am just doing the titanic at the moment, also sewing on my machine making stuff for the kids..
I never really have a me time when i look at it unles i say A very hot bath, where no-one joins me, thats about my me-time.

Dorrie
09-Nov-08, 18:20
I also did not know that you could do jigsaws online. :) Online games are a good option, I play one and have played it now for about 6-7 years, and am also an admin on a group of servers. The online game I play is HalfLife 2. I started off by my grandson playing HalfLife 1 on his computer and showing me it played on the network with the other computers in the house. Since then I have played all of the HalfLife games including Portal and enjoy being an admin on The Sanctuary UK servers for the game.
If you want to get out and about a bit but to choose the amount of challenge that you want, you could try www.geocaching.com. You need a GPS unit, you can pick up the older ones on Ebay quite cheaply now. You can choose which geocaches you want to find by the amount of walking you will have to do, the type of ground you have to cover and there is much more information about each cache on the website. They tend to take people to places where they might othererwise never go.
I think there are about 60 hidden within a hundred miles of us. :) It also has the added bonus that you can do it when you go away too as they are all over the world. When you reach civilisation there are hundreds in a hundred mile radius. Worth a look.

Thumper
09-Nov-08, 18:25
Starry,slobbing around is fine when you want to,after all you work hard so why not enjoy relaxing when you get the chance!As for a hobby,well the sky's your limit really and its about finding something you enjoy doing and want to do more off.I make cards,I am not that creative but I have found that I am good at cardmaking(or so I am told lol) and I find it very relaxing and rewarding,I also make scrapbooks,which can be great fun and make wonderful presents!As for me time,well when I get a chance without the kids around I love to have a nice hot bath,read a book and totally pamper myself :) x

starry
09-Nov-08, 18:28
The Geocaching looks like it could be addictive, I think I would like that. Will have a look.

starry
09-Nov-08, 18:39
Sorry Thumper I missed you there ;)

I honestly don't mind the laying about, I just have a wee bit of the life is passing me by thing going on.

There are some really good ideas here, thanks folks.

I would like to do pottery, does anyone know of any classes ?

Errogie
09-Nov-08, 20:36
How about learning to play a musical instrument?

A beginners class in say the bagpipes is a great way to meet people and you might commence a whole new relationship with your neighbours.

DeHaviLand
09-Nov-08, 22:45
[quote=starry;456041]I do jigsaws online :saddo:

quote]

I do it from this position, under my stairs. I do not need to justify it to anyone else, and neither do you. I hope you manage to find a pursuit that suits.;)

Lol, Percy. the thought of you living under the stairs really appealed to my rather warped sense of humour. That mental image is going to stay with me for quite some time. :lol:

Julia
09-Nov-08, 23:52
In my spare time I'm usually found on ebay or moneysavingexpert.com, I'm always looking to find new ways to save money.

I'm about to get back into photography soon too.

starry
10-Nov-08, 00:00
I spend a lot of time on moneyexpert as well.

ciderally
10-Nov-08, 06:59
och take up knitting...you wont have to go out on a cold night....xx

router
10-Nov-08, 12:08
go to the gym have a swim have a sun bed and finish off with a nice lunch or meal