PDA

View Full Version : Is this a record?

highlander
08-Nov-08, 23:25
Looking about my kitchen today it got me thinking of all the things that have had to be replaced over the years, wont tell you how many washing machines and tumble dryers i have gone through, but then i noticed the slow cooker, i have used this every week and was given to us in a wedding present 30 years ago, does anyone else have a household gadget that has lasted many years?

cuddlepop
08-Nov-08, 23:30
i've got an original Magi Mix that we got as a wedding present in 85.
Still think its better than the new ones.:D

Kodiak
08-Nov-08, 23:51
About 45 Years ago in 1963, I bought a present for my Mother, a Morphy Richards Food Mixer. Then about 20 years after this she gave it back to me as she was given a new blender.

Since then I have used it on a regular basis and it is still working to this day. I have broken the Glass Bowl but the Mixer works just fine.

I think 45 years of regular use for a Food Mixer is not bad at all.

wifie
08-Nov-08, 23:54
Highlander - what brand is yer slow cooker?

purplelady
09-Nov-08, 00:01
Not me but my mum has a lite bulb she has had since the 60s do not know if that is a record but must be pretty damm close hehehehe

highlander
09-Nov-08, 00:13
Highlander - what brand is yer slow cooker?

It is a prestige slow cooker wifie

poppett
09-Nov-08, 00:35
I have a 1936 model upright hoover with the brown stripey bag, edge to edge cleaning and it works as well as anything modern.. it can be stripped down and cleaned and has only had a new set of brushes twice in its lifetime.

Some years ago I was offered a modern hoover in exchange for it going to the hoover museum, but I declined as the modern ones are nowhere near as good as this one.

Also had an all wooden ironing board with a blanket and sheet pinned onto the board for padding, and a washboard....... the superior model with glass ribs which went to the Thurso players

Kevin Milkins
09-Nov-08, 00:56
Looking about my kitchen today it got me thinking of all the things that have had to be replaced over the years, wont tell you how many washing machines and tumble dryers i have gone through, but then i noticed the slow cooker, i have used this every week and was given to us in a wedding present 30 years ago, does anyone else have a household gadget that has lasted many years?

Nowadays we seem lucky to see a marriage last thirty years let alone the wedding presents.:eek::Razz

starry
09-Nov-08, 01:16
I have a slow cooker that has gone the distance as well, it was wedding present 23 years ago.
Apart from that there is nothing that has lasted as long, including the marriage :confused

Gizmo
09-Nov-08, 01:52
I have a slow cooker that has gone the distance as well, it was wedding present 23 years ago.
Apart from that there is nothing that has lasted as long, including the marriage :confused

I have a slow cooker as well...her name is Patricia :lol:

Sapphire2803
09-Nov-08, 05:32
i've got an original Magi Mix that we got as a wedding present in 85.
Still think its better than the new ones.:D

I've just managed to break the coffee grinder attachment for mine... Gutted :(
I inherited my Magimix from my Gran :D

Kenn
09-Nov-08, 09:56
My food mixer is almost 40yrs old and appart from two breakages also have the entire set of crockery that we were given/bought ourselves when we got married again almost 40yrs ago.
The longest lived item I have is the family christening robe,made by my grandmother's aunt and has been used by four generations and although the lawn bodice is a little fragile,the rest of the garment is perfect,not bad for something that is approaching it's one hundred and fiftieth year.
Had to giggle about the vacuum cleaner, my sister had one of those and when visiting some years ago my children were heard to remark, "Auntie that should be in a museum!"

joxville
09-Nov-08, 12:50
I have a 35 year old Hoover which is still in perfect condition. One of these days I'll fit a plug to it and use it!!! [lol]

bobandag16
09-Nov-08, 15:55
I have a 1936 model upright hoover with the brown stripey bag, edge to edge cleaning and it works as well as anything modern.. it can be stripped down and cleaned and has only had a new set of brushes twice in its lifetime.

Some years ago I was offered a modern hoover in exchange for it going to the hoover museum, but I declined as the modern ones are nowhere near as good as this one.

Also had an all wooden ironing board with a blanket and sheet pinned onto the board for padding, and a washboard....... the superior model with glass ribs which went to the Thurso players
auntie margaret says she only lent u the hoover.can she have her plus gramm radio back or did your old man nick it:)

south view 7
09-Nov-08, 20:54
We have a floor mop bought in the 60s it"s only had three new heads and four new handles???

Kevin Milkins
09-Nov-08, 21:17
We have a floor mop bought in the 60s it"s only had three new heads and four new handles???

Is the bloke pushing it named Trigger?.lol:lol:

poppett
09-Nov-08, 23:36
Bobandag

Angels don`t use hoovers to my knowledge. At least it`s safe with me.
The plus a gram went to a very good home last year....... the Wick heritage museum!

Angel
10-Nov-08, 23:42
I still use my mums Moulineux food mixer... bought in 1976...

Mind you... lost one of the whisks...

Angel

Fly
11-Nov-08, 00:22
Still got a Kenwood Chef bought in the 60's and it works as well as ever.:o)

2little2late
11-Nov-08, 00:54
I have a Slade LP with 6 holes in the centre. Is this a record? [lol] [lol]