PDA

View Full Version : Blackcap

Iffy
08-Nov-08, 16:58
Hi

I must admit, first off, that I'm not "into" bird-watching, but my husband has been a very keen bird watcher since he was about ten years old.

So whilst standing at our kitchen window this afternoon, I surprised myself by seeing a "different" bird perched on our back garden gate! I studied it for as long as it sat there, so I could take in it's details and tried to memorise as much as possible. I then searched my husbands bird book and felt very sure it was a "blackcap"

When I told my husband what I thought I'd seen he was quite sceptical and tried showing me other birds in the book that it may have been, but I stuck with my original.... blackcap!

Half an hour later he was in the kitchen and called on me to come through to see I was right.. it WAS a Blackcap and also feeding off our suet ball in the garden !!

SO. SO, chuffed with myself, to not only see a "different" garden bird but also to be able to correctly identify it !!

P/S My husband, has never seen a blackcap before so I've got one up on him !!!!

Mystical Potato Head
08-Nov-08, 17:50
Well done,we had a female Blackcap in our garden this year,she should really
be called a Brown cap because of her brown head.

dragonfly
04-Dec-08, 20:23
think we've had one in our garden today too, managed to take a pic of it so if anyone can confirm its a blackcap that would be great

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/3082202903_2645b0c271.jpg

the_count
09-Dec-08, 22:05
i would say definitely a female blackcap dragonfly and a very sharp picture too ... well done :D

nirofo
11-Dec-08, 03:17
These little warblers seem to becoming more and more regular in the far north during the Winter, most seem to be females. I had a one in Duncan Street, Thurso about 3 Winters ago, it was feeding on berries along with a Waxwing.

Here's a photo of a male Blackcap feeding it's young in the nest.

Blackcap male feeding young in the nest.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Blackcapmalefeedingyoung.jpg

nirofo.