PDA

View Full Version : First song you play when you pick up a guitar?

guitarzan
08-Nov-08, 15:37
Not sure about anyone else but when i first pick up the guitar for a jam, i almost always find mysel playin the same songs the whole time - usually one last breath by creed or mr brightside!

Anyone else have any tunes they seem to go back to without thinking when they first go to play?!

Invisible
08-Nov-08, 18:31
Yeah, i always try to play the intro to wish you were here by pink floyd

Phoebus_Apollo
08-Nov-08, 19:31
Usually Larry Carltons solo on "Kid Charlemagne" as a warmup on electric or "Man in the Mirror" by Tuck Andress on the acoustic.

hotrod4
08-Nov-08, 21:24
When I take out my acoustic I normally start off with a Cadd9,think its mainly because thats my favourite chord!!!:lol:

If its the electric its normally Smells like teen spirit probably because its awesome and he was a lefty like me!!![lol]

Chobbersjnr
09-Nov-08, 05:07
Usually Larry Carltons solo on "Kid Charlemagne" .

& a mean solo it is as well!!!!!!

it always changes for me & at the moment, electric is Freeway Jam from Jeff Beck or the reggae track off of Guitar Shop (name escapes me) & Savoy..........yeah lovin' JB at the moment.

Acoustic, Karmageddon from Nick Harper usually takes a thrashing at some point

loganbiffy
09-Nov-08, 11:44
Always differs tbh, been a bit of Metallica of late, One is a beats of a tune.
I always generally play riffs of my own as well, just depends what mood you are in :)

Phoebus_Apollo
09-Nov-08, 19:26
& a mean solo it is as well!!!!!!

it always changes for me & at the moment, electric is Freeway Jam from Jeff Beck or the reggae track off of Guitar Shop (name escapes me) & Savoy..........yeah lovin' JB at the moment.

Acoustic, Karmageddon from Nick Harper usually takes a thrashing at some point

Hey Chobbers - Did you see Becks live show at Ronnie Scotts on BBC4 - freaking unbelievable.:)

Chobbersjnr
09-Nov-08, 19:33
Hey Chobbers - Did you see Becks live show at Ronnie Scotts on BBC4 - freaking unbelievable.:)

yes I did!! inspired me to setup ye olde strat trem & get stuck in aboot er...

re Ronnie Scotts. Beck has this habit of being outrageously loud & tbh he seemed to be lacking some of the soul he had in earlier years however there's no getting away from the fact the guy's a monster. It was good to watch him in action though & hearing space boogie was something else..........

& Vinnie C (won't even try & spell his last name) is enough to make a man build drumstick model buildings & use the tubs as loose storage bins...

have you heard live at the BB king blues club in 2003 Phoebus?? Terry Bozzio & Tony Hymas with JB.

emb123
09-Nov-08, 19:51
I'm a keyboardist so I can only comment on what I have observed from guitarist friends rather than personal experience - and they always (without fail) seem to play Black Sabbath's Paranoid.

...and my bassist friend always seems to default to Teentown (Jaco Pastorius / Weather Report).

It would maybe be interesting if they would switch :)

Chobbersjnr
09-Nov-08, 20:06
...and my bassist friend always seems to default to Teentown (Jaco Pastorius / Weather Report).:)

top tune....

zebedy
09-Nov-08, 22:43
Karmageddon!

if i could play it.

mmm zbzbzbzb

teach me it Chobberzzzzz? haha

whata tune!

Metalattakk
10-Nov-08, 01:28

I saw that last week, I think. It was awesome. Beck has always been lauded amongst the musos and eclectic press, and now I know why.

(Tal Wilkenfeld was pretty awesome too, but that's another story. ;))

Edit: Warm-up songs? Acoustic is either 'Always Somewhere' or 'Holiday', both by the Scorpions, electric is usually the latest song I'm trying to learn. Recently it's 'Make You A Believer' by Sass Jordan.

Phoebus_Apollo
10-Nov-08, 17:23
yes I did!! inspired me to setup ye olde strat trem & get stuck in aboot er...

re Ronnie Scotts. Beck has this habit of being outrageously loud & tbh he seemed to be lacking some of the soul he had in earlier years however there's no getting away from the fact the guy's a monster. It was good to watch him in action though & hearing space boogie was something else..........

& Vinnie C (won't even try & spell his last name) is enough to make a man build drumstick model buildings & use the tubs as loose storage bins...

have you heard live at the BB king blues club in 2003 Phoebus?? Terry Bozzio & Tony Hymas with JB.

Haven`t seen that Chobbers will have a Utube for it later - Bozzio wow - you tried Zappa`s "Black page" on the tubs?

Chobbersjnr
10-Nov-08, 17:52
Haven`t seen that Chobbers will have a Utube for it later - Bozzio wow - you tried Zappa`s "Black page" on the tubs?

I did a google search on Jeff & came up with a site in the states I think who had 1 CD for sale which was (as far as I know) a bootleg from the desk in the blues club. Tony's on the full 93 bassdrum kit etc etc & Jeff is flying IMO twice as good as RS's

youoldduffer
11-Nov-08, 00:46
"Getting better" by Tesla and i always play at some point a messed up version of Vai's "for the love of god"

Olin
12-Nov-08, 11:44
I tend to either play the chords Cadd9, G then Dsus2 or the Super Mario Theme.....

Don't know why lol

David B
12-Nov-08, 18:14
Back in Black (iffy version).

Kenneth
13-Nov-08, 12:04
there she goes by the la's!