PDA

View Full Version : Petition- Toilets on Buses

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 22:35
Petition can be found at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/scic2008/petition.html

Description on what the petition is about can be found on the website.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 22:38
Does anyone know why Stagecoach have stopped having toilets on these journeys? Could it be because, as usual, they are defiled by uncaring people and therefore horrendous to clean? I have to admit to not liking to use such facilities but do agree that, however bad they may be, for some they are a necessary evil.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:40
Petition can be found at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/scic2008/petition.html

Description on what the petition is about can be found on the website.Did yer mither no tell ye till go till e' toilet before ye left e' hoose?

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 22:40
Does anyone know why Stagecoach have stopped having toilets on these journeys? Could it be because, as usual, they are defiled by uncaring people and therefore horrendous to clean? I have to admit to not liking to use such facilities but do agree that, however bad they may be, for some they are a necessary evil.

Or it could be to provide more leg room for passengers by spacing seats out more but still having the same number of seats as they would with a toilet.

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 22:42
Did yer mither no tell ye till go till e' toilet before ye left e' hoose?

Oh yes but 4 hours is an awful long time for me to go without going to the toilet, especially when I drink a lot on the way there. ;)

Plus, the petition isn't to benefit me in particular.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:44
If you know any rich people, perhaps they could buy a bus with a toilet and start a daily run to inverness.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:45
Oh yes but 4 hours is an awful long time for me to go without going to the toilet, especially when I drink a lot on the way there. ;)

Plus, the petition isn't to benefit me in particular.On a serious note, are there no stops on the way to inverness that could be used as a toilet break, stretch the legs, have a smoke, etc?

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 22:47
On a serious note, are there no stops on the way to inverness that could be used as a toilet break, stretch the legs, have a smoke, etc?

Well yes, they do already- Dornoch which is some distance to wait. And even when the bus gets there, only occasionally will the driver tell passengers that this is a comfort stop. Usually the bus only stops there for a few minutes- not enough time to anyone to get to the toilet and back without rushing.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:52
Well yes, they do already- Dornoch which is some distance to wait. And even when the bus gets there, only occasionally will the driver tell passengers that this is a comfort stop. Usually the bus only stops there for a few minutes- not enough time to anyone to get to the toilet and back without rushing.Are there no stops at Brora or Golspie?

Julia
07-Nov-08, 22:57
Maybe I imagined it but haven't they closed the public loos in Golspie?

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 22:57
Are there no stops at Brora or Golspie?

No comfort stop no. The only stop which is for longer than 1 or 2 minutes is Dornoch. Dornoch is the only "designated" comfort stop between Thurso and Inverness.

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 22:59
Maybe I imagined it but haven't they closed the public loos in Golspie?

Only temporary while they build the new ones. Last time I passed, the new building looked almost complete. The temporary toilets are at the Caberfeidh Hotel if I spelt that correctly.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:01
Maybe I imagined it but haven't they closed the public loos in Golspie?They have apparently built a new toilet facility, when it's open is anybodies guess.

No comfort stop no. The only stop which is for longer than 1 or 2 minutes is Dornoch. Dornoch is the only "designated" comfort stop between Thurso and Inverness.Then couldn't they compromise, if they are going to have no toilet facility on board the bus then their must be other arrangements made, i'e, a stop in golspie, brora or helmsdale for long enough to allow the passengers time to relieve themselves.
Maybe you should be petitioining for more comfort breaks.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:02
On a serious note, are there no stops on the way to inverness that could be used as a toilet break, stretch the legs, have a smoke, etc?

Have a smoke? Don't start me! I had the dubious pleasure of travelling on this journey very recently (and boy was I glad I only spent a fiver on it thanks to an orger posting the offer before I booked) and the driver did not inform anyone that it was a comfort stop in Dornoch. He did however let a guy out for a smoke - he had to ask tho! I did travel from Inverness to London once by coach - an experience I never repeated. There was a toilet but I did not wish to take the opportunity of using it. We stopped several times where the driver and several passengers had a smoke but when a couple of folk asked if they could get out to stretch their legs or use the toilet and they were told "NO!" A disgrace I think!
rfr I did not notice any particular difference in my leg room. Furthermore the bus was freezing - it took until about Tain before I could remove my jacket. The driver also never once got out to open the luggage compartment for people to use - funnily enough the bus for the second part of my journey from Inverness to Perth had written on the side "Compartments only to be opened by the Driver".
Hmmmm! This is how this country is trying to get people to use public transport is it?

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 23:06
They have apparently built a new toilet facility, when it's open is anybodies guess.

Then couldn't they compromise, if they are going to have no toilet facility on board the bus then their must be other arrangements made, i'e, a stop in golspie, brora or helmsdale for long enough to allow the passengers time to relieve themselves.
Maybe you should be petitioining for more comfort breaks.

But we don't want more comfort breaks. The whole point of the first meeting by the Caithness Transport Forum was to reduce travel times. We don't really want to increase them further by having frequent comfort stops.

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 23:12
Have a smoke? Don't start me! I had the dubious pleasure of travelling on this journey very recently (and boy was I glad I only spent a fiver on it thanks to an orger posting the offer before I booked) and the driver did not inform anyone that it was a comfort stop in Dornoch. He did however let a guy out for a smoke - he had to ask tho! I did travel from Inverness to London once by coach - an experience I never repeated. There was a toilet but I did not wish to take the opportunity of using it. We stopped several times where the driver and several passengers had a smoke but when a couple of folk asked if they could get out to stretch their legs or use the toilet and they were told "NO!" A disgrace I think!
rfr I did not notice any particular difference in my leg room. Furthermore the bus was freezing - it took until about Tain before I could remove my jacket. The driver also never once got out to open the luggage compartment for people to use - funnily enough the bus for the second part of my journey from Inverness to Perth had written on the side "Compartments only to be opened by the Driver".
Hmmmm! This is how this country is trying to get people to use public transport is it?

There is slightly more leg room on the new Stagecoach in Caithness buses and so far I've experienced buses being too hot and not enough fresh air- not the other way around :Razz. Sadly we "test" buses- mainly from a young persons point of view though altough many issues will concern adults as well. If you want, you can have one of our very basic reports on the comfort of buses. Not a brilliant response so far. Surprise surprise.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:18
But we don't want more comfort breaks. The whole point of the first meeting by the Caithness Transport Forum was to reduce travel times. We don't really want to increase them further by having frequent comfort stops.A five minute break is not going to kill anybody and it will only delay your journey by approximately, Five minutes or ten if you stop in Door-knock.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:18
There is slightly more leg room on the new Stagecoach in Caithness buses and so far I've experienced buses being too hot and not enough fresh air- not the other way around :Razz. Sadly we "test" buses- mainly from a young persons point of view though altough many issues will concern adults as well. If you want, you can have one of our very basic reports on the comfort of buses. Not a brilliant response so far. Surprise surprise.

OK I know you are coming at things from a yoof point of view but how old precisely do you think I am? I can tell when there is no heating on a bus! The heating was not on when the bus arrived - it then sat at the stop in Thurso (therefore the first stop) with the door wide open and the engine off, so there really could be no heating, for several minutes. Also if my failing, aged memory serves me well I think someone had time to get out for a smoke before we left too! I am not getting at you for being young - I envy you that in all honesty - but think before you label "old" people please! :)

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:22
OK I know you are coming at things from a yoof point of view but how old precisely do you think I am? I can tell when there is no heating on a bus! The heating was not on when the bus arrived - it then sat at the stop in Thurso (therefore the first stop) with the door wide open and the engine off, so there really could be no heating, for several minutes. Also if my failing, aged memory serves me well I think someone had time to get out for a smoke before we left too! I am not getting at you for being young - I envy you that in all honesty - but think before you label "old" people please! :)That must have stung, wifie, Bad rfr10, bad rfr10.[lol]

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:24
That must have stung, wifie, Bad rfr10, bad rfr10.[lol]

No as much as it would have stung you TBH! [lol] At least I am closer to rfr's age! :Razz

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 23:24
I'd rather call it a fag stop than a toilet stop.:eek:

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 23:26
OK I know you are coming at things from a yoof point of view but how old precisely do you think I am? I can tell when there is no heating on a bus! The heating was not on when the bus arrived - it then sat at the stop in Thurso (therefore the first stop) with the door wide open and the engine off, so there really could be no heating, for several minutes. Also if my failing, aged memory serves me well I think someone had time to get out for a smoke before we left too! I am not getting at you for being young - I envy you that in all honesty - but think before you label "old" people please! :)

I don't dispute what you say. All I was meaning to say is that everytime I've been on a bus so far, it's been the lack of fresh air that I've experienced personally. I didn't mention "old" did I? Apologies if I did.

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 23:27
I'd rather call it a fag stop than a toilet stop.:eek:

Very true. Fag stop for the driver in most cases. I don't think I've seen one bus driver yet than doesn't smoke at Dornoch. Is that what driving buses does to you :Razz

octane
07-Nov-08, 23:29
Was on my way back from Aberdeen one time and had a couple of hours wait in Inverness until I could carry on my journey. So what did i do.....yup I went to the boozer on a vodka frenzy.

So I sat in the bar until it was time to go for the bus, so I finally got on it and plonked myself down pretty sozzled and was looking forward to a kip for a few hours until I got back to Wick.

Well the bus barely left the depot and realised......oh no Im needing a lash as I never done one before leaving the pub. I thought "ach Ill just hod it in" as I wasnt desperate at the time. As we were then crossing the Kessock bridge the urge was getting greater and I thought bloody hell im no gonna make it home. I managed to tie a knot in it for a wee while longer but my bladder was at peak expansion as we just headed into Invergordon. I couldnt go any further and grabbed my bags and headed for the door.

The driver said to me as he was coming to a stop " thought ye were going to Wick mate" and I replied " yeah but im absolutely bursting at the seams here and cant go any further"
The driver laughed and said turn around and look up at the back corner mate............:eek: well there it was........like a glowing star with welcoming arms......A toilet!!!!!!!! What an absolute god-send so went in....and let out a big aghhhhhh as the pressure inside me dropped, what a relief :)

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:34
I don't dispute what you say. All I was meaning to say is that everytime I've been on a bus so far, it's been the lack of fresh air that I've experienced personally. I didn't mention "old" did I? Apologies if I did.

It was an undertone I was gettin rfr - no need to apologise! I very seldom take the cream puff in here! I also do get what you are trying to do. :)

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 23:35
Was on my way back from Aberdeen one time and had a couple of hours wait in Inverness until I could carry on my journey. So what did i do.....yup I went to the boozer on a vodka frenzy.

So I sat in the bar until it was time to go for the bus, so I finally got on it and plonked myself down pretty sozzled and was looking forward to a kip for a few hours until I got back to Wick.

Well the bus barely left the depot and realised......oh no Im needing a lash as I never done one before leaving the pub. I thought "ach Ill just hod it in" as I wasnt desperate at the time. As we were then crossing the Kessock bridge the urge was getting greater and I thought bloody hell im no gonna make it home. I managed to tie a knot in it for a wee while longer but my bladder was at peak expansion as we just headed into Invergordon. I couldnt go any further and grabbed my bags and headed for the door.

The driver said to me as he was coming to a stop " thought ye were going to Wick mate" and I replied " yeah but im absolutely bursting at the seams here and cant go any further"
The driver laughed and said turn around and look up at the back corner mate............:eek: well there it was........like a glowing star with welcoming arms......A toilet!!!!!!!! What an absolute god-send so went in....and let out a big aghhhhhh as the pressure inside me dropped, what a relief :)

Thank you for that very erm... motivational story. :)

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:36
I don't dispute what you say. All I was meaning to say is that everytime I've been on a bus so far, it's been the lack of fresh air that I've experienced personally. I didn't mention "old" did I? Apologies if I did.I think your comments were ageist. Us older people need more heat than you young'uns and we probably need more breaks seeing as our bladders are weaker.[disgust]

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:38
I think your comments were ageist. Us older people need more heat than you young'uns and we probably need more breaks seeing as our bladders are weaker.[disgust]

Speak for yersel! :Razz

rfr10
07-Nov-08, 23:45
I think your comments were ageist. Us older people need more heat than you young'uns and we probably need more breaks seeing as our bladders are weaker.[disgust]

Yes I know. Both young people and oldER people need heat but at the same time, they should at least make sure the air conditioning is always on for those who need a breath of fresh air. Also, I didn't say that more comfort stops weren't needed, I said that if they were to have more comfort stops then the journey time would increase and considering there was a 1800 sig. petition to have journey times decreased, etc. I don't see how more comfort stops would be in the favour of the majority. It's a TOILET on the bus that is needed and that will solve all problems.

percy toboggan
07-Nov-08, 23:54
Once went to Spain and back on the bus.
There was a toilet...I used it only once...for number ones (pee)

The thought of traipsing down to that tiny cubicle, sitting on the pan for a few minutes to leave a more substantial deposit, bus hurtling down some French express way, then making my way back to my seat was simply beyond the pail...or even pale (I always gets those two mixed up) In fact a pale might have been preferable (bucket) maybe they should leave one under every seat.

This air-conditioned double decker - operated by 'Impact' out of Carlisle in the late eighties was a superb vehicle...but the toilet was positively primitive. I'll never go to the Costa Brava on the bus again.

rfr10
08-Nov-08, 00:08
Once went to Spain and back on the bus.
There was a toilet...I used it only once...for number ones (pee)

The thought of traipsing down to that tiny cubicle, sitting on the pan for a few minutes to leave a more substantial deposit, bus hurtling down some French express way, then making my way back to my seat was simply beyond the pail...or even pale (I always gets those two mixed up) In fact a pale might have been preferable (bucket) maybe they should leave one under every seat.

This air-conditioned double decker - operated by 'Impact' out of Carlisle in the late eighties was a superb vehicle...but the toilet was positively primitive. I'll never go to the Costa Brava on the bus again.

Another very motivational speech there. Thank you.

zappster
08-Nov-08, 10:37
its a very very uncomfortable journey to be on if your needin a pee & theres no bog!!been there ...got caught out a couple of months ago & was about to grab my bag & catch a later bus when we enevtually stopped in Dornoch!!
Come on people sign the petition coz you never know when youll need to use the bus..or need the toilet!!

EDDIE
08-Nov-08, 14:41
A five minute break is not going to kill anybody and it will only delay your journey by approximately, Five minutes or ten if you stop in Door-knock.

5 mins its not long enough if your needing a number 2 trust me in this day in age there should be toilet on buses that are going long distance like thurso to inverness.Unfortunately companys like stagecoach are more interested in profit than customer care thats why the invest in buses without toilets because its cheaper.
The journey from thurso to inverness is long enough and boring enough without haveing pitstops.
Its just a shame that scotrail wont compete with stagecoach with prices and times i would far rather go by train than bus any day u have no competition thats half the problem its a bit like having tescos and no asda to create competition its stupid.

honey
08-Nov-08, 15:21
i remember when i was pregnant with my 2nd son, and travelling with my eldest, the toilets were out of order on the bus. My son was 5 them, and nearly in tears with pain as he needed the loo. I virtually ordered the driver to stop the bus as i was not going to allow my son the humiliation of wetting himself. After a while, he did let DS off to pee, but it was a the side of a road.

on the return trip, again the toilets were out of order on bus form inverness - to perth, and perth - glasgow, this time i was in agony - and 8 months pregnant.

its not a nice experience!!

i seldom use this service, but i have added my support!

muffin
08-Nov-08, 17:31
I've just signed the petition but there are only 14 signatures, we need more if it is to be effective.

celtic 302
08-Nov-08, 22:07
Can someone explain to me why talk of toilets gets people telling stories that should never see the light of day?

wifie
08-Nov-08, 22:37
Can someone explain to me why talk of toilets gets people telling stories that should never see the light of day?

It's good to share - so they say! :eek:

Liz
09-Nov-08, 00:08
I don't use the bus but have signed the petition anyway. Not good to have to cross your legs on a long journey!:eek:

rfr10
09-Nov-08, 17:46
I've just signed the petition but there are only 14 signatures, we need more if it is to be effective.

25 signatures now but yes you're right, even 100 wont be enough to show support for the petition. The petition was created as from my understanding this was a very strong issue with many people according to the papers and Caithness.org but 25 signatures? Certainly doesn't highlight this as being a major issue.

Is this the only issue we have with the transport up here now? I'm very keen to raise any concerns at the Highland Youth Voice transport conference on Friday-Sunday with TEC services being there. It seems as though many are backing away- nothing can be changed if there isn't the sufficient back up.

joxville
09-Nov-08, 17:51
Why have toilets on a bus? Don't you know how funny it is to watch 52 passengers all rushing to get to the loo first.

joxville
09-Nov-08, 17:54

Anyone over 46 is soooooo old!!! [lol][lol]

wifie
09-Nov-08, 18:03
Anyone over 46 is soooooo old!!! [lol][lol]

Darned good job I am NOT then! [disgust]

rfr10
09-Nov-08, 18:04
Why have toilets on a bus? Don't you know how funny it is to watch 52 passengers all rushing to get to the loo first.

Oh you wont be laughing when it's you ;) Ha.

I'd rather not be in a farmyard all the way from Inverness to Wick thank you very much.

joxville
09-Nov-08, 18:32
Oh you wont be laughing when it's you ;) Ha.

I'd rather not be in a farmyard all the way from Inverness to Wick thank you very much.

Never, never, never again will you get me on a bus journey from Thurso to Inverness. Done it once, don't wish to share my breathing space with the peasants/great unwashed ever again. [lol]