PDA

View Full Version : Foyers

arana negra
07-Nov-08, 20:42
I have been asked elsewhere to recommend some places of interest and things to do in the Foyers area. I have not been up there for many a long year unfortunately and have no current info. This couple are coming from Spain on the 17th Nov for 4 days. So any suggestions for things to do and places to visit would be very helpful thankyou. Falls villages music walks distillery anything :)

emszxr
07-Nov-08, 21:17
its been a few years since i been there too but there is nice walks there with waterfalls. and you could drive down to fort augustus.

pat
07-Nov-08, 21:36
Get them to go for a swim to search for 'Nessie' or go for one of the cruises on Loch Ness to see it from a different angle.
Play golf on the courses at Nairn or Dornoch - Dornoch most northerly Royal course.
Get a pair of binoculars and count the visitors to Urquhart Castle, across the Loch!
Check out the house - was it Iain Anderson who used to have the house reputedly haunted and tunnels down to the loch, reputedly used for satanic things.
Distilleries - plenty of them down Speyside or they can go up to Tain to Glenmorangie.
The monastery at Fort Augustus - is it now a boys school or what?
Visit the locks on the canal and watch the boats descend through them.
Swimming, skating, cinema, bowling in Inverness.
Watch the dolphins at Chanonry Point on Black Isle
There is so much to do but everybody is different

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 22:11
Dores is wonderful for sunsets along the length of the loch.

poppett
07-Nov-08, 23:30
Dores Inn is highly recommended for good food at lunchtimes and evenings. Their sunday lunch is something else!! We always go there when visiting Inverness.

EDDIE
07-Nov-08, 23:46
Well if u go to Foyers i would say going to see the falls of Foyers is a must its a nice view and run down one side of lochness have a look around fort augustus and up the otherside of the loch ness is a good day out.

Dorrie
08-Nov-08, 00:56
Find out if they are Geocachers. There are a lot of geocaches hidden in that area, at least one in Foyers itself. www.geocaching.com

Aaldtimer
08-Nov-08, 03:53
..."Check out the house - was it Iain Anderson who used to have the house reputedly haunted and tunnels down to the loch, reputedly used for satanic things."...

It was Jimmy Page IIRC who once owned Boleskine House, also once owned by Satanist Aleister Crowley...:eek:

Errogie
08-Nov-08, 13:03
The Forest walks which connect Inverfarigaig and Foyers are worthwhile as is the climb up Dun Deardil at Inverfarigaig to the vitrified fort (more strenuous). The Falls and their path system is worth exploring but Boleskine House of ill repute is privately owned but the old cemetery on the opposite side of the road is more interesting (it contains some of my ancestors) and gravestones bearing the mark of musket balls from passing redcoats. The lochside road was built by General Wade and there are two of his bridges still standing at Whitebridge and Inverfarigaig.

The other side of the Inverfarigaig gorge has one of the wildest single track roads in Scotland known as "The Corkscrew" because of its series of 6 hairpin bends. Better walked than driven and great views of the Loch and the autumn tree colours which are presently remarkable.

The Dores Inn is currently closed for refurbishment but the Whitebridge Hotel does good bar food and occaisional trad music sessions. For accomodation check out Lochnesshideaways.com. Great value and Caithness connections!

Alex. Sutherland