PDA

View Full Version : Message in a Bottle

spiggie
22-Jan-06, 19:12
Has anyone ever sent a message in a bottle and if so did you get any replies, how far did it get?

The reason i ask is because it was on the news the other day about a little girl who sent one and it traveled about 9 thousand miles and was found by a little boy only a year older than the her.
:)

landmarker
22-Jan-06, 20:00
Great idea.
I sent one once. Cast it into the sea off Rhyl.A Dandelion & Burdock bottle. It probably beached in Birkenhead but I never heard anything. Like so many job applications......

Saveman
22-Jan-06, 20:06
I threw a message in a bottle out to sea while on holiday as a kid and it travelled 4 miles.
I went the 50 miles back home and received a letter in reply.
I wrote back telling them I only threw it out 4 miles away from where they found it, never heard from them again. :confused

landmarker
22-Jan-06, 20:21
I threw a message in a bottle out to sea while on holiday as a kid and it travelled 4 miles.
I went the 50 miles back home and received a letter in reply.
I wrote back telling them I only threw it out 4 miles away from where they found it, never heard from them again. :confused

maybe they felt short changed lol. A little deflated after pondering from whence it came.
Good one.

JAWS
22-Jan-06, 20:34
Didn't one wash up near here somewhere which was from Canada?

spiggie
22-Jan-06, 20:59
I think i might try one and see how far it gets, if it ever gets anywhere. :)

souperman
22-Jan-06, 22:28
Once threw a bottle off an oil rig near Shetland with a message from my kids, about 2 years later we got a reply from some children in Denmark, they remained penpals for several years.

Saveman
22-Jan-06, 22:30
maybe they felt short changed lol. A little deflated after pondering from whence it came.
Good one.

Yeah I guess so. I was more disappointed that I hadn't thrown it out far enough! :)

angela5
22-Jan-06, 22:31
Well it was'nt a message in a bottle that created a friendship for me it was finding a name and telephone number on a £1 note over 20 years ago..we are still in touch and i visit her once a year in bonnie Dundee.

Saveman
22-Jan-06, 22:32
Once threw a bottle off an oil rig near Shetland with a message from my kids, about 2 years later we got a reply from some children in Denmark, they remained penpals for several years.

That's a much better story than mine in so many ways!

.....I'll get my coat....
;)

Julia
22-Jan-06, 22:59
Well it was'nt a message in a bottle that created a friendship for me it was finding a name and telephone number on a £1 note over 20 years ago..we are still in touch and i visit her once a year in bonnie Dundee.

What a nice story!

happy_larry
26-Jan-06, 20:04
i remember when i was i kid i put my mothers shoppin list in a bottle and threw it in the harbour,about a week later,the groceries were delivered to the door!!!

melted_wellie
27-Jan-06, 21:47
i remember when i was i kid i put my mothers shoppin list in a bottle and threw it in the harbour,about a week later,the groceries were delivered to the door!!!what a nice story!!!

mischief
27-Jan-06, 22:59
i once sent a message on a balloon, don't think it would have got very far. and no i didn't get a reply!!!
i was young by the way!!!:)