PDA

View Full Version : Climbing and walks in Caithness

Frey
07-Nov-08, 19:22
Hows it going?

Having trawled through the internet for info I thought here may be a good point of call. Looking for advice and possibly directions on good walks/climbs around Maiden's Pap and Morven. Have heard parking up near Braehead off the A9 at Dunbeath is a good place to start but any personal tips much appreciated. Also any other walks or climbs recommended would be great. We have just invested in a fancy baby carrier for our boy and can't wait to have the freedom it offers rather than the limits of a buggy!

Cheers guys.

northener
07-Nov-08, 20:22
Morven:

Drive up to Braemore off the A9. Park up in the little car park by the bridge. Go over the bridge and continue on the track through the farm.

You'll keep on this track through a small plantation keeping Maiden Pap on your left. Keep following the track until you get to the very end at the house at Corrichoic.

You now need to go across country. Angle roughly South West as if you are going to pass between Maiden Pap and Morven at the lowest point on the horizon. Keep tracking round whilst making your way towards the base of Morven. It's not bad underfoot, apart from the first few 100 meters that can be a bit boggy, once you get onto the dryer areas watch out for 'ankle buster' hidden gullies.

You should see a large area of loose rock (scree) on the slopes of Morven - you can scramble up over this but it can be bloody hard work and probably not sensible with a little 'un in a papoose.:eek: So ignore and keep working your way around the base.

Stay low until you have passed the scree slope and you should see a large area of grass on your right stretching all the way up Morven - this is your route up. There is a very narrow path leading up but it can be very difficult to spot.

It's a steep climb (I reckon 45-50 degrees), and be aware that if the cloud drops when you are at the summit it is a nasty fall down the Northern slopes.........so OS maps + compass are sensible.

OS Landranger Maps: 11 and 17...typically, this walk straddles both maps.

Time: Allow a good 6 hours.

Be careful......

Please note that I am assuming that you are fairly competent hillwalkers, if you are after a couple of hours leisurely stroll - this is definitely not the walk to do.

Hope this helps.

horseman
08-Nov-08, 01:01
Loved the first impressions of it northerner- sounds real good, then I thought of my bad knee an the wifes general disposition to too much up an down stuff- hill walking you will understand1;) an then remembered my bad back of the last 2 weeks - an then the 6 hours! an I think reiss beach, without the dunes,may be our limit-pity it sounds great:)

northener
08-Nov-08, 01:44
It nearly killed me the first time I did it, but Mrs N was off like a mountain goat!

Absolutely stunning views from the top.

dirdyweeker
08-Nov-08, 01:51
Morven:

Drive up to Braemore off the A9. Park up in the little car park by the bridge. Go over the bridge and continue on the track through the farm.

You'll keep on this track through a small plantation keeping Maiden Pap on your left. Keep following the track until you get to the very end at the house at Corrichoic.

You now need to go across country. Angle roughly South West as if you are going to pass between Maiden Pap and Morven at the lowest point on the horizon. Keep tracking round whilst making your way towards the base of Morven. It's not bad underfoot, apart from the first few 100 meters that can be a bit boggy, once you get onto the dryer areas watch out for 'ankle buster' hidden gullies.

You should see a large area of loose rock (scree) on the slopes of Morven - you can scramble up over this but it can be bloody hard work and probably not sensible with a little 'un in a papoose.:eek: So ignore and keep working your way around the base.

Stay low until you have passed the scree slope and you should see a large area of grass on your right stretching all the way up Morven - this is your route up. There is a very narrow path leading up but it can be very difficult to spot.

It's a steep climb (I reckon 45-50 degrees), and be aware that if the cloud drops when you are at the summit it is a nasty fall down the Northern slopes.........so OS maps + compass are sensible.

OS Landranger Maps: 11 and 17...typically, this walk straddles both maps.

Time: Allow a good 6 hours.

Be careful......

Please note that I am assuming that you are fairly competent hillwalkers, if you are after a couple of hours leisurely stroll - this is definitely not the walk to do.

Hope this helps.

Have always fancied Morven and with such explicit instructions i might make an effort next spring/ summer. Did manage Ben Nevis this year even tho' it nearly killed me! They have both been on my list of life's ambitions, so I guess it is one down and one to go!

Kodiak
08-Nov-08, 03:11
Good Luck to and I am sure you will enjoy the Climb. Don't wait though, better do it sooner than later. I have always wanted to that but I kept putting it off and now it is too late as I find it difficult to walk to the wee shop 100 yards away.

So don't do what I did, get up and out there and enjoy all the magnificent hills and walks we have here in Caithness. Take a good camera and get some shots of the views and post them in the photography section that way I will be able to see what I have missed. :confused

olivia
08-Nov-08, 11:47
A few years back we scaled Maiden Pap. A little rough going under foot, no real paths to speak of but well worth the effort. What we did do wrong was clamber up the steep side only to find that if you contour round to the back there is a much easier grassy gully to reach the top and get back down again. Fantastic views but midges were biting!

Errogie
08-Nov-08, 12:47
Two Junes ago I followed this approach to complete what I call the "Caithness Skyline" route which, while none of the hills are classified as Munroes make up a very worthwhile day. Start with the Maiden then Smean with its rocky torrs and on to Morven for the high point dropping of to the Small Mount then complete the circuit by going across via the wheel houses at the Wag for a traverse of the Scarabens and back to Braemore. All to be found on OS sheet 17.

The great thing about these hills is that they are such prominent landmarks from so many other places in the north. You certainly look into the northern Cairngorms and can see the snow gullies, cornices and ski runs in the Spring with the 500 foot slab in Coire an Lochan sometimes sparkling like a mirror when it is wet from the Ord. I have seen Morven from Ben Macdhuie and even thought I could once make it out from Carn an Ealar above Braemar. To the west Ben More Assynt, Ben Hope and Foinavon are usually visible and likewise in reverse. I'm still amazed at how Robert Dick is reputed to have walked from Thurso climbed Morven then returned to a days work in the bakery and that was before bicyles!

Frey
09-Nov-08, 19:21
Northerner,

Cheers mate, those are fantastic descriptions, and we shall be ticking it off the list on Tuesday, weather permitting. Will let you know how we get on. Have also heard that phoning Berriedale estate and asking to walk through it to get to Morven is one way, you recommend the walk you stated?

Regards

northener
09-Nov-08, 19:45
Northerner,

Cheers mate, those are fantastic descriptions, and we shall be ticking it off the list on Tuesday, weather permitting. Will let you know how we get on. Have also heard that phoning Berriedale estate and asking to walk through it to get to Morven is one way, you recommend the walk you stated?

Regards

The Berriedale route is on the Langwell Estate, I've only walked as far up as the old house at Wag - which is at the very end of the track. It would be a slightly shorter off road section doing it this way, but it would take a lot longer to walk up the track to Wag as you'd have to park in Berriedale - twice the distance by track compared to the Braemore route.
According to the OS map, the ground between Wag and Morven is marked as boggy so I'd be tempted to use the Braemore route at this time of year.

Unless someone else can comment on the terrain between Wag and Morven?

If the weather is not suitable for off-track walking on Tuesday, you could always park in Berriedale and walk up Langwell as far as Wag. It's a nice walk up the Strath - more scenic than the track from Braemore. Regarding phoning up, I'm sure it would be appreciated or you could simply ask at the Estate houses as you walk up the track.

Errogie
09-Nov-08, 20:29
The ground between the Wag and Morven is rough and boggy in places with no path beyond the occasional deer track which may carry you in the right general direction.
For some time now I've used two walking poles which can make a huge difference to progress. You don't realise how much strength goes into balancing on rough ground with a pack and crossing burns and ditches and descending is made a lot easier. The advantage of two poles over one is more than 100%!

Frey
12-Nov-08, 12:29
Didn't end up doing Morven, we are thinking of combining it with a camping trip weekend when the wee one is older. Bit too long for him to be out. However we went to Rumster walk, four miles around the forest which was really nice. Picked up the Forest commission leaflet which details many walks in the north. Next walk planned is Rosal tomorrow. Thanks to all who answered back.