PDA

View Full Version : Epitition for Caithness and rural areas for funding for athletes

Tina Raeburn
07-Nov-08, 16:27
This Petition was set up by Tina Raeburn a parent of a young person who like lots of other young people had a talent in his field of sport, in this case it was athletics. Tina from Thurso would like to call on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Goverment to ensure adequate funding is available to allow young talented athletes in rural areas to travel to competitions at Regional and National level and provide coaching support,and training facilities across Scotand so no talented young athlete in a rural area is disadvantaged as a result of their location.
My experience as a parent is that young people in the Caithness area and other young people who are talented in their field of sport are being limited to reach their full potential in their field of sport due to lack of funding in the area to allow them travelling costs and overnight accomodation to compete with other young people at a competitive level. Without this funding our young people financially are unable to pursue their dream which is to represent their country in their field of sport. My son had to move to another country to get funding and more opportunities and I feel that with the CommonWealth Games in Glasgow 2014 and Olympic Games coming up where is the support to allow adequate opportunities for our young people in any field of sport to reach their full potential?
I would like to ask as a parent for all people involved in sport in Caithness to support the Petition in Sport to access online the Scottish Parliament website which will allow you to sign the Petition which is http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/list_petitions.asp. In order to make a difference we need the community backing to encourage funding to come into the area to make a difference to our young people's lives and allow them to achieve their dream. If you would like to go online and support the Petition please click on the link into the following website address above.
Thank you for your support.

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 22:42
I have read this post and decided that I would sign because it's a worthwhile cause. I'm not a parent of a young person doing well at sport but I believe that sport is a good thing for young people to do. There is the competitiveness, they will find that in the world of work. Also it is good for concentration, improvement and attainment.
Good luck Tina.