PDA

View Full Version : Off Food

saffy100
07-Nov-08, 16:20
Hi,

My 8 year old pup has lost her apetite. She has been to the vet and is on antibiotics, she has 3 days left on the meds, but her apetite is still poor, she will eat little amounts of fresh chicken, liver and fish but the amounts are small. If it does not improve over the weekend she will go back to the vet, but she is bright and energetic when out for a walk and she has a cold wet nose.

Any suggestions in the meantime on tempting foods, anyone had similar problems.

She is on Sinulox antibiotics, i wondered if these are suppressing her apetite too.

Thanks.

muffin
07-Nov-08, 17:04
My dog loved cheese, ham and anything I bake, cakes, biscuits etc., they must have a different smell to bought stuff.

Shabbychic
07-Nov-08, 17:09
I had a similar problem a month or so ago with my baby boy.

Did she have a temperature, and has this settled down? If not sure, take her back to the vet, as she may need another type of antibiotic.

Regarding feeding, I made things like boiled rice and chicken or white fish, and actually finger fed him. He loved all the attention, and ate more than he would if I just put the food in front of him.

Dougie, I have now found out, has a lot more problems than just off his food, but hopefully it's just a wee infection your dog has, and will clear up soon.

teenybash
07-Nov-08, 20:06
Meantime see that she is getting plenty to drink and encourage her to eat or even nibble at something tasty. Check when she is doing the toilet that it looks normal...especially poos...colour, consistency.
Best thing is back to vet if her appetite is still down and they may want to check her closer encase she has eaten something...part of a toy etc.

saffy100
11-Nov-08, 16:20
I keep a very close eye on my pups and she was still off colour s i planned to teke her back to the vet first thing monday (yesterday) but over the weekend she started discharging nasty fluid so i called the vet immedietly as we suspected piometria, and with this discharge it really looked to be this.

She has been i for her op to be spade today and hopefully will be back to normal in a few weeks, just phoned the vets and she did fine i her op so hopefully she will be home in an hour or so......i was so worried, and am now relieved.

Thanks for the tips, she will be on fresh chicken and liver for the next wee while until she feels better.

Thanks again for the posts.

carasmam
11-Nov-08, 16:25
Glad she is doing fine. It's a horrible time when you are waiting to phone and find out isn't it. Hope she recovers quickly :)

teenybash
11-Nov-08, 16:42
Glad to hear the good new and that her spaying went okay. Lots of fussing and she will be as right as rain......:)

cuddlepop
11-Nov-08, 18:22
Thats great news.i'm sure she'll be back to her old self soon.:D

Liz
12-Nov-08, 13:45
I am sorry that your doggy has been unwell but glad that she is through her op and doing really well.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery and a return to good appetite!:D

saffy100
13-Nov-08, 14:20
Thanks for your kind words...she is doing great, appetite is back (little and often) and i am having to make her take it easy as she is getting back to her old self and wanting to bounce around..lol.

Thanks again