PDA

View Full Version : Council unaware of Remembrance Day

badger
07-Nov-08, 16:15
Reading through the Groat at lunch time I could not believe my eyes when I saw one of those Highland Council road closure notices - area in Wick where Bridge St. meets High St. and through to Shore Lane (i.e. through the Market Place) was to be closed from 9 am to 11 am on Sunday for a chimney inspection.

Right next to this is the RBS notice of the Wick Remembrance ceremonies stating that they will be assembling at the Market Cross at 10.40 (and presumably earlier) as they do every year to march along Bridge St. to the Memorial.

Having made enquiries I understand it was the police who spotted this and the road closure has been postponed. Can there really be Council officials who do not know about Remembrance? Even if they are too young to remember the war, how can they not know what is happening all over the UK on Sunday?

hotrod4
07-Nov-08, 19:04
I think that is an absolute disgrace.Cant believe they were going to shut the street off. How many people would it have taken before they finally realised their shameful blunder?
It would be like booking a barbeque for xmas day!!! ;)

changilass
07-Nov-08, 20:14
If nowt else it proves they are human. Everyone makes mistakes, give them a break its been sorted.

horseman
08-Nov-08, 01:05
Would have been sorted out a lot better if some idjit on the council had done their homework afore hand.

northener
08-Nov-08, 01:06
I believe that it's Woolies that are getting a big cherry-picker in to work on their roof...Sunday being the most obvious day to do it........but maybe not this Sunday.....

oldchemist
08-Nov-08, 13:30
Council workers were out on Friday cleaning rural war memorials so they do know about Remembrance Sunday.

hotrod4
08-Nov-08, 15:23
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1902396.ece

Never mind "forgetting" rememberance sunday this lot are completely bonkers!!
I could say more but it would probably all end in tears :(

celtic 302
08-Nov-08, 22:09
Even if they are too young to remember the war

Well quite...