PDA

View Full Version : poem

krieve
22-Jan-06, 12:47
Here's a poem i remember from back when i was in wick high school a good few years ago now. But it has always stuck with me it was on a poster in my English class . :D

When I'm born I'm black
When I'm cold I'm black
When I'm hot I'm black
When I feel sick I'm black
When I die I'm black

When you're born you're pink
When your're cold you're blue
When you're hot you're red
When you feel sick you're green
When you die you're purple
And you call me coloured

katarina
22-Jan-06, 13:04
I have heard the poem before. Not relevant nowadays as you're not allowed to use the word 'coloured' Really when you think about it it is a stupid description anyway - I wonder who thought it up in the first place!

ice box
22-Jan-06, 17:10
The preson that wrote the poem was a young african girl that was getting bullied in school .And i think that the poem still stand good to this day and i dont think it a stupid description .

katarina
22-Jan-06, 17:13
The preson that wrote the poem was a young african girl that was getting bullied in school .And i think that the poem still stand good to this day and i dont think it a stupid description .

Sorry - the poem isn't a stupid description, it is very good, to describe black people as coloured is. Coloured makes me think of rainbows.
Is it me who can't explain myself very well or what?

Sandra
22-Jan-06, 22:26
I once asked a black friend about being called 'coloured' as opposed to 'black', and asked which one he preferred. He said he was black, if he was coloured he be blue, green, red, yellow etc. He then said I wasn't white but pink. I preferred white.

I have never felt comfortable describing black people as coloured, and since that conversation have always said black.