PDA

View Full Version : NEW SHOP IN WICK?

Zambo
24-Jul-03, 18:46
I have a friend who is thinking of opening up a new shop in Wick. They are working through a few ideas at the moment, before they make a decision.

If you had a choice, what kind of shop would you like to see in Wick? Do you feel there is anything in particular that Wick is missing, or could benefit from?

:)

Jenni
24-Jul-03, 19:17
I think the county, Wick and Thurso, could do with some more clothes shops. There is a limited choice of clothes for children and I must admit I head to Inverness to kit out my lot. We adults could also do with some more choice. Although I live in Thurso I wouldn't hesitate to come through to Wick if there was a shop worth visiting.

2little2late
24-Jul-03, 21:48
How about a frozen food shop? Something similar to Farm foods. The town desperately needs one of these, because the three supermarkets that do sell frozen food don't really have much and what they do have is expensive. OPEN A FROZEN FOOD SHOP, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Zambo
24-Jul-03, 22:08
How about a frozen food shop? Something similar to Farm foods. The town desperately needs one of these, because the three supermarkets that do sell frozen food don't really have much and what they do have is expensive. OPEN A FROZEN FOOD SHOP, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. But I remember 2 different frozen food shops - and both closed, altough I don't know why? Possibly didn't do as well as expected?

I would like a frozen food shop in Wick, and I certainly think it would be a success. But, what does everyone else think?

P
25-Jul-03, 09:58
We need a mobile phone shop, a cyber cafe, more clothes shops (ones that actually keep enough stock would be nice!), a proper computer shop would be nice too.
and we can't forget mcdonalds and some other fast food places...might mean we start to actually get a decent service from the native take-aways (don't tell me you haven't notcied a massive difference in the level of service in none scottish take -aways)

:D

Mr P Cannop
25-Jul-03, 12:36
how about an internet cafe ??

God
25-Jul-03, 13:56
I think would be a game shop. There is no real competition, not in thurso anyways. KT Consols did well it just fell through in the end but with a good business head I think it could be very succesfull. You could intergrate the Internet Cafe Idea in to it aswell. also sell DVD's and rent the games.

Zambo
25-Jul-03, 16:39
I like the idea of an Internet Cafe, but I imagine it would be very expensive to set up at first.

Does anyone else have ideas about what kind of shop we could do with in Wick?

We are hoping to get a lot of ideas from you guys - gives us an idea of what people want, which is the most important thing.

linzy222
26-Jul-03, 10:55
A clothes shop like Primark in Aberdeen that is the best shop i have ever been in and the cheapest!!

You get good jeans for a fiver, kids clothes £2 or £3 etc and you know that tassled trousers all the girls are wearing just now? well they are only £10 in there and in Macallans up here they want £40, i bought my daughter 3 pairs and they are good quality for £10!

I will never buy my kids clothes up here i always buy them in Aberdeen!

But then again i have family there so its good for me as i can stay with them for a few days

so PRIMARK is what we need i think anyway!!

Liz
27-Jul-03, 18:45
How about a Health Food Shop?

There are quite a lot of people on 'special diets' including children with eczema who can't take dairy products and the supermarkets don't cater very much for this section of people.
When you look on the internet and see the range of foods that are available you realise that the supermarkets aren't stocking the range of products they could possibly because they're only catering for the average person.
There is quite an interest in herbal medicine etc and a really good well stocked Health Food Shop could do well.

:lol: :D

dietcoke
27-Jul-03, 19:02
A clothes shop like Primark in Aberdeen that is the best shop i have ever been in and the cheapest!!

You get good jeans for a fiver, kids clothes £2 or £3 etc and you know that tassled trousers all the girls are wearing just now? well they are only £10 in there and in Macallans up here they want £40, i bought my daughter 3 pairs and they are good quality for £10!

I will never buy my kids clothes up here i always buy them in Aberdeen!

But then again i have family there so its good for me as i can stay with them for a few days

so PRIMARK is what we need i think anyway!!
I agree with linzy222 i also shop in primark when ever i go down to see my family in the aberdeen area, the clothes are really good value for money, even the underwear is cheap but even though it is cheap it is not tat.Another clothes shop please Macallans and Mackays are not my kind of store since shopping in primark.

Zambo
30-Jul-03, 22:52
How about a Health Food Shop?

There are quite a lot of people on 'special diets' including children with eczema who can't take dairy products and the supermarkets don't cater very much for this section of people.
When you look on the internet and see the range of foods that are available you realise that the supermarkets aren't stocking the range of products they could possibly because they're only catering for the average person.
There is quite an interest in herbal medicine etc and a really good well stocked Health Food Shop could do well.

:lol: :D

I had thought about a health shop - seeing as I am vegetarian - and I know you dont' eat meat either. I would like a health shop, but I don't know if there would be enough interest, to be honest.

jjc
31-Jul-03, 09:45
I like the idea of an Internet Cafe, but I imagine it would be very expensive to set up at first.
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't have thought that getting ten or so (just to start out with) medium spec. machines would actually set you back as much as stocking a clothes shop or health food shop. Let's face it, a clothes/food shop needs to look the business from the get-go, an internet cafe just needs PCs and a kettle and you can build from there ;)

If you head out of Caithness to purchase the systems (or get them online) you can get some fairly nice machines for under £1000. You could even rake some money back in through advertising (maybe setting the homepages of every machine to a local business page or something?)

If you position it right you might even find that you see a lot of tourist trade with people checking email and bank accounts whilst away from home - it isn't like there is anywhere else they can do that at the moment.

... of course, you still won't have broadband (for a while, at least)!

Mr Sensitive
31-Jul-03, 11:54
Lo, jjc, you have oft written here that you want to go back to Caithness/Thurso, so why not go for it? Your draft "business plan" looks ok, and CASE might be able to help with advice and readies. Just a couple of things tho'

(1) A kettle ain't enough. You need to budget for an espresso machine, minimum..

(2) You could sign up for a few broadband connections and take Thurso over the 500 limit. :D

jjc
31-Jul-03, 13:26
I would LOVE to go back to Thurso... however, I would need to incorporate a McDonald's, a Burger King, and at least one KFC into my Internet Cafe before I could manage for more than a week! :lol:

Moonboots
31-Jul-03, 13:57
You'll need a very good business plan for case to get the go ahead with funding for a cybercafe as I asked about this before and they said they are not really interested in providing help for a cybercafe as the business might not take off.

Just watch what you are doing with Case and also they will not help with funding for any business which will be dealing in retail, So either way you need the money before going to case for further help as you wont get any from them.

Mr Sensitive
31-Jul-03, 13:59
Lo, jjc, you are in urgent need of Zambo's health food shop! You two should go into business together.

Hmmmmm. Did I see something on here about a PC gaming joint [come internet cafe(?)] in Caithness some months ago. :confused I think it was Thurso, but am not sure. Don't recall seeing one in Wick.

OK how about a Starbucks with an internet cafe? The selling points would be Starbucks plus the internet cafe with broadband. The latter is surely essential if you want to make a big impression, but it would lose its novelty when everyone gets broadband. But I bet there ain't anything like Starbucks in Thurso.

jjc
31-Jul-03, 15:12
But I bet there ain't anything like Starbucks in Thurso.You've obviously forgotten Sandra's, Mr. S.

Mr Sensitive
31-Jul-03, 15:52
You've obviously forgotten Sandra's, Mr. S.
Well, I am not familiar with Sandra's establishment, but a search of this website reveals a hostel of that ilk in Thurso. Am I missing something?

But then the CCWS search engine tells me that

THIS PAGE WAS LAST UPDATED :: January 1, 1970 GMT

so I am maybe a little behind the times.

Zambo
31-Jul-03, 16:09
You'll need a very good business plan for case to get the go ahead with funding for a cybercafe as I asked about this before and they said they are not really interested in providing help for a cybercafe as the business might not take off.

Just watch what you are doing with Case and also they will not help with funding for any business which will be dealing in retail, So either way you need the money before going to case for further help as you wont get any from them.

Thanks for the info about Case - I have to admit, we didn't think it would be that difficult.

We are hoping to set up in Wick, not Thurso - easier for me! We are still thinking about an Internet Cafe/Health Shp or Book shop with Internet access, whicm may be extended if it proves popular.

Still need to think a lot about this project, but would appreciate any other feedback!

Mr Sensitive
31-Jul-03, 16:31
We are hoping to set up in Wick, not Thurso - easier for me! We are still thinking about an Internet Cafe/Health Shp or Book shop with Internet access, whicm may be extended if it proves popular.

Point taken. I took Thurso as my example because jjc is from there, and it appears that Thurso is likely to get broadband before Wick. I can't see the business sense in opening an internet cafe without having bb at the outset, and without a selling point coffee-wise. I took Starbucks as my example because they are popular worldwide, and because I like them, saddo that I am perhaps.

A book/health shop with internet access is maybe a different beast. The bb could come later.

Zambo
31-Jul-03, 16:34

Point taken. I took Thurso as my example because jjc is from there, and it appears that Thurso is likely to get broadband before Wick. I can't see the business sense in opening an internet cafe without having bb at the outset, and without a selling point coffee-wise. I took Starbucks as my example because they are popular worldwide, and because I like them, saddo that I am perhaps.

A book/health shop with internet access is maybe a different beast. The bb could come later.

I agree with you - not much point setting up an Internet cafe if we don't have Broadband! I can dream! :D :D :D

jjc
31-Jul-03, 18:54
You've obviously forgotten Sandra's, Mr. S.
Well, I am not familiar with Sandra's establishment, but a search of this website reveals a hostel of that ilk in Thurso. Am I missing something?
Nah... Sandra's has three parts. There is the hostel for backpackers, a takeaway (pizza, fish & chips, etc), and also a sort of 'restaurant' bit out back.

Mr Sensitive
31-Jul-03, 19:15
Nah... Sandra's has three parts. There is the hostel for backpackers, a takeaway (pizza, fish & chips, etc), and also a sort of 'restaurant' bit out back.
Ok, so Sandra's is almost identical to Starbucks. No need for one in Thurso then. :roll:

It has to be Wick after all. ;)