PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite 'Uncool' Bands?

Gizmo
06-Nov-08, 21:08
Thought i'd do this after the comment in the favourite band thread about the band Tyketto being really uncool to like, as i love 80's melodic hard rock this is an easy list for me to do, but what supposedly uncool bands do all you other orgers love?

Danger Danger
Winger
Tyketto
Enuff Z'Nuff
Harem Scarem
Lillian Axe
Ratt
Warrant
House Of Lords
Def Leppard
Stage Dolls
Treat
Signal
Poison
Bonfire
Britny Fox
Cinderella

I could go on...:lol:

cemmts
06-Nov-08, 21:31
Danzig

:)

Invisible
06-Nov-08, 21:39
Nothing uncool about Poison BTW & Def Leppard for that matter

So favourite uncool band in my opinion must be Savage Garden

which may start a new thread of guilty pleasures.....*strokes imaginary beard*

Gizmo
06-Nov-08, 21:45
Nothing uncool about Poison BTW & Def Leppard for that matter

So favourite uncool band in my opinion must be Savage Garden

which may start a new thread of guilty pleasures.....*strokes imaginary beard*

Nothing Uncool about any of the bands i listed, but within the mainstream music media every one of those bands has a cool factor of zero, even my fellow rock/metal friends laughed at me when i bought Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In back in 1986, i didnt care how uncool they were...i loved that album, still do :)

the_big_mac
06-Nov-08, 22:31
Ugly Kid Joe.

They had some good albums!!

Phoebus_Apollo
06-Nov-08, 22:42
Oh God - I really quite like *whispers* journey....

Gizmo
06-Nov-08, 22:51
Also one of my favourite modern rock bands is Hinder, Kerrang especially has never really been kind to Hinder and their multi platinum 'Extreme Behaviour' album was critically panned, this is radio friendly American rock that uses every cliche in the book, indie kids will scoff at the slickly produced highly melodic songs...good!...indie kids can sod off with their floppy hair and stare at their shoes.....i love Hinder and i'm not afraid to say it :lol:

Their new album 'Take It To The Limit' is out now, check em out...you never know, you might love em to :)

http://www.myspace.com/hindermusic

Metalattakk
07-Nov-08, 03:57
One of my favourite bands - and I've mentioned them before - must be the most uncool band ever: Jethro Tull.

They're so uncool they're almost cool because of it!. :D

Seriously though, who cares if bands are 'cool' or 'uncool'? Like the music you like, and be done with it. In fact, revel in it.

(I have more of an issue with people who like bands but have no idea why. ;))

Metalattakk
07-Nov-08, 04:07
Ugly Kid Joe.

They had some good albums!!

They were a fantastic band. Saw them live at Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield supporting Def Leppard in '93. Whitfield Crane climbed to the top of the scaffolding at the side of the stage while singing 'Everything About You', if I remember correctly.

'As Ugly As They Wanna Be' and 'America's Least Wanted' are brilliant rock/metal albums. Rob 'Metal God' Halford even makes an appearance on 'Goddamn Devil'. :D

the_big_mac
07-Nov-08, 10:10
They were a fantastic band. Saw them live at Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield supporting Def Leppard in '93. Whitfield Crane climbed to the top of the scaffolding at the side of the stage while singing 'Everything About You', if I remember correctly.

'As Ugly As They Wanna Be' and 'America's Least Wanted' are brilliant rock/metal albums. Rob 'Metal God' Halford even makes an appearance on 'Goddamn Devil'. :D

Yeah, but after that they had the awesomeness that was menace to sobrity and motel california. Brilliant!

Metalattakk
07-Nov-08, 13:22
We'll have to agree to disagree there, the_big_mac.

Menace To Sobriety saw them jump on the grunge bandwagon, to me anyway. Lost interest in anything they did after that. Those first two still stand the test of time, though. ;)

hotrod4
07-Nov-08, 16:54
"Uncool" band that I like?
There are a few:

Take That (cheesy I know but Barlow is a good songwriter)
New England (bought their self titled album in the 80's it was awesome!)
Sugababes (for the music not the totty!)
Tangerine dream (weird and wonderful)
Depeche Mode(see above!)

There are probably more but you would get bored! ;)

zebedy
07-Nov-08, 19:04
McFly - Not ashamed at all, IMO that lads music which they write themselfs is good stuff.

Gizmo
07-Nov-08, 21:45
McFly - Not ashamed at all, IMO that lads music which they write themselfs is good stuff.

Liking an uncool band and liking McFly are too completely different beasts...you should be ashamed young man....i demand that you go slap yourself with a wet kipper :lol:

zappster
07-Nov-08, 22:59
There are a few:

New England (bought their self titled album in the 80's it was awesome!)
Sugababes (for the music not the totty!)
Tangerine dream (weird and wonderful)
Depeche Mode(see above!)

There are probably more but you would get bored! ;)
you win hands down!!haha
cant even start on some of the stuff i listen to!

loganbiffy
08-Nov-08, 01:24
We'll have to agree to disagree there, the_big_mac.

Menace To Sobriety saw them jump on the grunge bandwagon, to me anyway. Lost interest in anything they did after that. Those first two still stand the test of time, though. ;)

Ugly Kid Joe are awesome and always will be, they didn't jump on any grunge bandwagon, they simply developed their sound and grew as is what happens with most bands.

Menace to Sobriety is great, granted I still prefer America's Least Wanted but it is a good album in it's own right.

Metalattakk
08-Nov-08, 02:48
Ugly Kid Joe are awesome and always will be, they didn't jump on any grunge bandwagon, they simply developed their sound and grew as is what happens with most bands.

Naw, they didnae. They recognised the growing trend and jumped straight onto the grunge bandwagon. No shame in it, it's what they thought was the best way forward for them at the time. Fair dues and all that.

It's strange to think that Ugly Kid Joe's signature track is basically a pop song, yet they went out of their way to be seen as a rock/metal band.
Then when the trends changed they went out of their way to record a grunge album. As I've said, there's nothing wrong with that though. Money talks after all. ;)

Menace to Sobriety is great, granted I still prefer America's Least Wanted but it is a good album in it's own right.

I'll have to have a listen to MtS again now, just to refresh my memory! :D

loganbiffy
08-Nov-08, 11:05
Naw, they didnae. They recognised the growing trend and jumped straight onto the grunge bandwagon. No shame in it, it's what they thought was the best way forward for them at the time. Fair dues and all that.

It's strange to think that Ugly Kid Joe's signature track is basically a pop song, yet they went out of their way to be seen as a rock/metal band.
Then when the trends changed they went out of their way to record a grunge album. As I've said, there's nothing wrong with that though. Money talks after all. ;)

I'll have to have a listen to MtS again now, just to refresh my memory! :D

Fair enough, I just don't see how they could possibly see releasing a "grunge album" in 1995 as an attempt to make money, I mean there wasn't really any money in the grunge scene, yes there were bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, SoundGarden and so forth but it was still a relatively small and short scene, metal was a far better chance to sell albums in my opinion.

I mean Grunge is my favourite type of music (if there is even any need to have a favourite genre), I love metal as well and i agree that Menace to Sobriety is not as metal-orientated as previous UKJ efforts, just in my opinion they were not trying to cash in.

Yeah anyway, listen to it and enjoy it for what it is. :)

youoldduffer
08-Nov-08, 12:12
Oh God - I really quite like *whispers* journey....

Nothing wrong with liking journey, i like journey, i also like disturbed dont matter if ya like em ya like em.

Kenneth
08-Nov-08, 15:13
I've always liked Razorlight! Kooks I guess.....for a few minutes I liked Alphabeat lol. Oh yeah and I like the Hoosiers!

honey
08-Nov-08, 15:27
There are a few:

they are my favourite band... of to see them in hampden next year!!!

i think all my musical preferences would end up in this thead.. i always get teased for my taste in music.

listenening to REO Speedwagon this morning!

hotrod4
08-Nov-08, 16:41
they are my favourite band... of to see them in hampden next year!!!

i think all my musical preferences would end up in this thead.. i always get teased for my taste in music.

listenening to REO Speedwagon this morning!

Reo Speedwagon are not that bad!
Like some of their tunes, heard it from a friend who.................;)

honey
08-Nov-08, 16:52
Reo Speedwagon are not that bad!
Like some of their tunes, heard it from a friend who.................;)

:lol:

very good!

Olin
12-Nov-08, 11:46
I like hip-hop music. Mainly The Game, Tupac and Nas....

This isn't very popular among my crowd but I love it!

I also like Snow Patrol who I have heard countless amounts of times being described as "depressing"

emb123
12-Nov-08, 12:15
Although I believe he's fashionable enough in some circles, he certainly isn't in the ones I frequent, but I rather like Eminem actually. He's a clever lyricist and I like his sense of humour :)

Jeid
12-Nov-08, 13:13
I have a soft spot for good pop songs. No one band in particular, but I'm always surprised when I know the words of songs I really want to hate.

Kenneth
12-Nov-08, 15:51
I have a soft spot for Katie Perry in every sense of the word!!

Jeid
12-Nov-08, 16:58
Her song is an example of a pop song I shouldn't like, but it's very catchy!

Geo
03-Dec-08, 01:33
Seriously though, who cares if bands are 'cool' or 'uncool'? Like the music you like, and be done with it. In fact, revel in it.

Ahem...See your Chris de Burgh comment! ;)

Metalattakk
03-Dec-08, 03:02
Ahem...See your Chris de Burgh comment! ;)

Point taken (and absorbed) but, the 'coolness' of Mr De Burgh was not in question. His musical relevance was, however. ;)

A9RUNNER
05-Dec-08, 03:20
BROS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to hate them with a passion when I was young and one day fairly recently found myself singing a bros song. I hang my head in shame!!!

However music I like and have always liked and still listen to a lot that many folk would deem uncool would be Hanoi Rocks and Twisted Sister both get maximum play on my ipod.